Sign in to follow this  

magic button quit working.

so i guess it has been getting worse but never thought anything of it. when i would go and start the bike up the first push was usually a false push and felt like i accidentally had the kill button in, but i'd go for a second push and wham, started up. that was the other day and then today i went to go down the road for the store and turned the key and pushed and not a nothing. the dash, lights....everything works. went to go bump start and no problems, starts right up.

how do i diagnose the starter button? I've got my multimeter, but where do i start. surely it cannot be anything else. one i bump started everything ran as normal including a little wheelie for the kids before taking off :ride:

any tips would be great. im riding my bike tomorrow wether i have to push or not

I had a similar issue.  On the clutch side of the handle bar there is a wire that goes into a gray plastic housing that connects to the clutch housing.  This was loose on my bike.  I pushed it back together and the bike started right up.  Maybe you will get lucky.  I pulled my entire bike apart looking for a loose connection and found it after the fact. 

Good Luck

• Like 1

Thanks, but there is one of my problems. Years ago I bypassed the safety switch in the clutch and now I forgot where the connection is. I can here a relay click when I'm pushing in the starter button, not sure if the starter switch has a relay or if it's something else. All my connections that I have looked at are dry and have good contact. I checked my side stand bypass and all was well. Not sure

Thanks, but there is one of my problems. Years ago I bypassed the safety switch in the clutch and now I forgot where the connection is. I can here a relay click when I'm pushing in the starter button, not sure if the starter switch has a relay or if it's something else. All my connections that I have looked at are dry and have good contact. I checked my side stand bypass and all was well. Not sure

take apart the starter button control assembly. you'll want to clean the push button magnet/contacts with brake cleaner, very lightly sand off the corrosion, and reassemble with dielectric grease. it will be fine until the next time someone sprays it with wd40 (bad!) or a water crossing with lots of grit. 

mine was green and brown, and the wd40 (bad dog, no !) i sprayed inside didn't help matters. 

afterwords, pull all your electric connections, and clean/grease them too. you'll have no electric problems again until your ignition switch starts to wear out next. ;-)

I had a similar issue.  On the clutch side of the handle bar there is a wire that goes into a gray plastic housing that connects to the clutch housing.  This was loose on my bike.  I pushed it back together and the bike started right up.  Maybe you will get lucky.  I pulled my entire bike apart looking for a loose connection and found it after the fact. 

Good Luck

I had this exact same issue after my engine build and install.  Such a simple fix but I looked all over trying to figure out what I had missed installing the engine.

i would be checking the starter relay first. its under the seat. over time the terminals on the starter relay can have electrolysis the same as your battery terminals. simply unscrew them,give them a bit of a hit with sandpaper then screw them back in and coat with di electric grease

I had a problem with the little circut board behind the button breaking up. I fixed it with some JB weld. And cleaned the contact point. It gave me fits for many weeks before I took it apart and found the problem. Has worked fine ever since. Just a suggestion...

Check the secondary/signal wire to the starter for voltage when you push the button..... 12V there means your starter or solenoid is bad, no volts or low volts then you should check for a problem further up the line. Try to see if the relay is getting 12V when the key is on and starter button is pressed. If not then it may be the switch..... there should be 12V going to the switch with the key turned to on..... if that wire has 12V and it's not allowing the current to pass thru then you should replace or repair the switch as mentioned here previous. A wiring diagram like in the online Clymer .pdf would be helpful if you don't already have it.

• Like 1

i'll check it out. its been over a week and i just bump started the bike to make sure it still would start via the ol run and jump method and it did.

i havent dug into it at all but i do not hear a click from the starter it's self or from anything under the seat. from what i can tell the clicking is coming from under the front cowl on the left side?

not sure but at least i got it running