Break in period for a new drz 400 motor

Some will say to baby it,  some will say to ride it like its a ''REAL E'',   not sure whats better,  but i think most will agree on changing the oil at 100 miles,  then 300,  then 600,  and then the regular 1K oil change intervals should be fine.  

Congrats on getting your bike going again,  what happened to your engine?  did you go BBK or stock?

yep heavy accel and decel is ideal for performane but try and include a few coasts and idles, the aim of the game is to get the motor to see as many vibration modes as possible whilst being as lubed as possible and focussing on your own specific needs (in rpm that is).

to be honest, if you sat at a single rpm you will not do damage but after all the work it will inhibit performance (head pressure).

ive seen many theorys on engine break in, by far the best ive heard is ride it like you would normally, the engine will wear to suit.

Some mates of mine ski race, they build the stock motor up to spec without running it then take it out and thrash it, motor never sees low rpm so they say why brake it in running those low rpm. obviously this is an extreme case but you get the point wear it how you want it to be ridden

Any half throttle babyit too much breakin , I did that in 1984 and never again, oil burner. I do believe you have less than 100 miles to do most the ring seating.

Presently the last few bikes Ive used a 300 mile breakin and all have been long life motors with no oil burn issues (40,000 on drz and over 100,000 mile on VFR as an example(no oil use, and no problems), but just use the full rpm range with strong burst of accel and decel, but dont stay anywhere for too long(seconds), yet dont go into the last 20% of the upper rpm scale, till you get to the 300 mile mark, then let it rip and do a full extended top end run. Dump the oil and ride, a full cool down between a couple of sessions is ideal too.

Keep in mind every bike Ive broken in, the first filter is never the worst(its normally the best). The 2nd filter is normally the worst the bike ever sees.

Edited by Spud786

So I smoked the motor on my drz and its finally operational again. I have the break in paper from suzuki, and its says 500 miles on 1/2 throttle and 500 on 3/4. My question is if I ride on the highway 60-70mph am I good or am I gonna cause dammage?

do stop/go city riding, lots of heavy acceleration/ deceleration (engine braking). if it's not still smoking in 5 miles, it's broken in. if it's still smoking at 500 miles, well, i guess keep riding. 

and riding. check back in 30,000 - 40,000 miles.  

These are filters taken from my new Yamaha 660 Ténéré after the 100 - 200 - 500 first km oil changes. Don't wait to change the oil/filter, there's a lot of crud swimming around in that first oil you don't want to see getting into your bearings and other machined surfaces.

dsc00819bb.jpg

• Like 1