Sign in to follow this  

11 300 options after top end failure

I'm inexperienced with the 2011 300 and contemplating my options after a top end failure.

the cylinder is damaged and the local dealer says $1100 for a new cylinder and piston or $375 for

re-plating plus extra for cylinder repair.

warped head is on the list also.

is over boring and re-plating a reasonable option? what about big bore kits? I checked cylinder works and didn't find anything

has anyone here been through this and have any advice for me?

it appears maybe the head gasket let go which took out the top end. I don't know the history of the bike as it was just bought used a few months ago.

I'm inexperienced with the 2011 300 and contemplating my options after a top end failure.

the cylinder is damaged and the local dealer says $1100 for a new cylinder and piston or $375 for

is over boring and re-plating a reasonable option? what about big bore kits? I checked cylinder works and didn't find anything

it appears maybe the head gasket let go which took out the top end. I don't know the history of the bike as it was just bought used a few months ago.

Its a total and complete POS!  No need to torture yourself by looking at.   Give me your address and I'll come and get it.

seriously... these things happen.   You have to get it fixed.   A repaired cylinder will be as good as a new one.  So save  yourself a few bucks.

I,m seriously thinking over a bigger bore to clean up the cylinder damage then plate that compared to repair the standard bore and replate it .

I loved the effect of putting a Athena 290 kit on my yz250f but whats reasonable on this 300 after all it at least needs a piston and a replate and some gaskets.

I am aware that the Athena cylinder does have bigger coolant passages and the power valve of the 300 may need clearancing but 20 or 30 cc more shouldn't be a problem for the rest of the system should it?

more cc should be more torque and it was bought as a single track machine

way, way, way too much money dude.

$682 for new OEM cylinder and piston kit

http://www.ktmpartshouse.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=1421809&category=Motorcycles&make=KTM&year=2011&fveh=39550

$759 for 300SXS kit (price up from $680) for new OEM cylinder, piston kit, head of choice (sx or xc), new xc cdi, all pv components and all gaskets

http://www.ktmpartshouse.com/eshopprod_cat_8178_product_1327854.300_SX_and_XC_Kit.htm

or

$702 for 300SXS kit (after using "ktmtalk" as the discount code)

http://www.magicracing.com/KTM-SXS-KIT-300-SX_p_136921.html

i suggest option 2, sell off your busted cylinder and head for a few bucks as a repairable core type deal, sell off all your old PV components, and sell off the new cdi. you'll probably come out paying about $500-600 bucks after its all said and done. remember, you can pick the head of your choice, you can get the SX head or go for stock performance with an XC head, still cheaper buying the kit vs buying just the cyl/piston kit even. if youre thinking overbore, i assume you'd like a little more performance out of your bike, so with that said, get the SX head for the kit.

if you believe the headgasket let go, check the ride side case cover gasket for a failure near the water pump. guess its pretty common. i have not had an issue with my 250sx but just received my cometic gasket from cooksey because i dont want to be in this situation.

Edited by mynewcr250

thanks newcr250 ,that option 2 is a very appealing as I did entertain the thought of more top end power buy raising up the ex port a bit then getting it replated. but as I said earlier in my post I,m just not to familiar with the ktm yet and am un aware of whats out their for them or the common mods

thanks newcr250 ,that option 2 is a very appealing as I did entertain the thought of more top end power buy raising up the ex port a bit then getting it replated. but as I said earlier in my post I,m just not to familiar with the ktm yet and am un aware of whats out their for them or the common mods

just to be clear, option 2 and 3 are the same kit and come with the same parts just different vendors in case you dont like one or the other. unfortunately the price from ktmpartshouse just went up a couple weeks ago so magicracing has the better price once you use the discount code. i have not had any issues with ktmpartshouse and another guy that posts here did not have any issues with magicracing :)

Edited by mynewcr250

I cleaned up the aluminum transfer with muriatic acid and ran a hone through the cyl  for a couple seconds and it looks good to me, I,m now thinking maybe a vertex B or C piston I,ll post pics and measure it, then know what shape the cylinder is in