Sign in to follow this  

Anybody switch from a S/E to a SM model?

Speak to me about your experiences,   street differences and of course,   offroad. 

I would love the lower seat height of the SM,   (and those plastic fork guards),  but i do lots of off roading and the 18/21 wheels are OFFICIAL in the dirt,   not too sure  how the 17's would be,  i know they would be ''ok'' for dirt roads and such,  but in some serious stuff i just do not know. 

Also does the SM feel heavier in the front because of the fatter (heavier) front tire?

If an S owner was to swap to the SM front forks , would a drop of the rear suspension be necessary to achieve proper handling / balance ?

• Like 1

Ron, I don't have experience to speak from, but I have been considering getting my wife a SM for me to ride. ;)  However, as I ride my S more, it is surprising me how capable it is on the street. I'm starting to form the opinion that the only reasons to go with the SM are if you wanna get in touch with your inner hooligan, do some serious carving and/or track days, or if you just prefer the trim.

Granted, I think a guy my size looks a little funny on a SM. But, I rekon, you're about the same size as my wife. She is starting to get more comfortable on my S, so I'm sure you've mastered yours. I'm not sure what seat you have, but the S's I've been on with Seat Concepts and Corbins felt downright low, making my wife smile. I know it was probably only an inch or so difference, I figure around the same height as a SM with stock seat, but it felt dramatic. Where is the S too tall for you? Off road or at stops on the pavement?

• Like 1

Yeah, I think tight track, like a parking lot, the sm is better, but the s model in motard form, is pretty damn good on the street, rough back roads, and trail venture, that 21 inch front wheel will float over stuff the 17 will drop right into. But you get into assfalt go cart type track and the sm is going to really stand out.

Ron, I don't have experience to speak from, but I have been considering getting my wife a SM for me to ride. ;)  However, as I ride my S more, it is surprising me how capable it is on the street. I'm starting to form the opinion that the only reasons to go with the SM are if you wanna get in touch with your inner hooligan, do some serious carving and/or track days, or if you just prefer the trim.

Granted, I think a guy my size looks a little funny on a SM. But, I rekon, you're about the same size as my wife. She is starting to get more comfortable on my S, so I'm sure you've mastered yours. I'm not sure what seat you have, but the S's I've been on with Seat Concepts and Corbins felt downright low, making my wife smile. I know it was probably only an inch or so difference, I figure around the same height as a SM with stock seat, but it felt dramatic. Where is the S too tall for you? Off road or at stops on the pavement?

• Like 1

i agree with all of your statements and i bought a factory s loved it couple months down the line i saved up a grand and bought a set of sm wheels and when im not in the dirt the sm wheels are great and a ton of fun. and here in California my insurance was $1000 less if i went with the s over the sm... so that was the thing that sold me with mine. :thumbsup:

oh and it only takes me 20 min to swap!!!! 

Edited by RWC DRZ400s
  • Like 3

I went sm and have two sets of wheels (sm and s/e wheels) and I find myself in dirt trim much more than motard. I debated switching to s model but I do like the look of the sm trim better and the USD forks.

Does anyone know the differences in the suspension? Does the s model have more travel? Are there options for different springs with the sm model. I could use some heavier springs to haul my 210 lb ass around? :D

• Like 1

I have both an E and SM, and recently,for shits, I put the E wheels on the SM just to see how I like it. With the dirt wheels, it's still lower than my E.

Offroad, the E's suspension is superior in comfort, and the SM wheels on the E makes it feel too loose in the fast corners, especially when shifting.

I have taken the SM on some decent trail, (up Sani pass - Lesotho) that's with the road tyres and it was impressive... for a street bike.

The lower seat definitely is nice for the rocky section, but that's the only thing it has going for it offroad.

I would however not be able to choose between the two if I had to sell one. (I'd probably keep my BBKed, FCRed SM and get dirt wheels)

• Like 3

Speak to me about your experiences,   street differences and of course,   offroad. 

I would love the lower seat height of the SM,   (and those plastic fork guards),  but i do lots of off roading and the 18/21 wheels are OFFICIAL in the dirt,   not too sure  how the 17's would be,  i know they would be ''ok'' for dirt roads and such,  but in some serious stuff i just do not know. 

Also does the SM feel heavier in the front because of the fatter (heavier) front tire?

fatter tires = heavier steering

smaller wheels = poorer log/berm/everything performance

you'll enjoy bashing the hard stuff with the 18/21's a lot more than 17's

• Like 2

I have an SM with both sets of wheels also and I think the difference is just as noticable on the street with dirt wheels as it is in the dirt with street wheels......did that come out right?.....Anyway I love carving on my 17s, it feels amazing to pin it coming out of the corners and know it has traction. Same with the dirt wheels in the sand or at the MX track. Ive booted 30-40 foot jumps on the SM in both sets of wheels, at SM track and MX track. I cant imagine the E could be that much better offroad, but Ive nvr ridden one.

• Like 1

Of course my buddy on his S follows me through everything, so Craigo's right, its all in the wheels. Just buy a set of 17s so you have both.

• Like 2

I love the S,  and even being only 5'9 its NOT too tall for me,  ive learned to deal with it,   i just really like the look of those SM forks and the SM'S lower seat height,    thought about maybe selling my bike and getting a SM,   but i dont think ill be happy with 17's off road,  and i love me REAL S too much to ever get rid of it.   :)

Gotta admit,  the SM'S look fantastic. 

Yeah ..REAL E

M8!!

• Like 2

First off, I Love my S . But Also would love to try an SM . I will at some point get some SM wheels. I'm still not sure if Ill be satisfied . I am currently running my 21/18's with Mefo explorer D/S tires . I can stay with my buddies on the toughest trails , but I am definitely working harder than they are to keep it upright and moving forward . On road is fun ,but likewise could be better . I don't dare to push it as hard as I'd like in the twisties . Still better than DOT knobs ,but limited . The ability to ride both terrains pretty hard is great but leaves me wanting more from each . I know SM wheels have No place in the Offroading that I do . So when I put SM wheels on I will have to pass by the trails I would normally explore . For those of you feeling that your S or E is a bit tall , try the Suzuki lowercut gel seat . I picked one up as part of a package deal and really like it for Offroad duties . It's not stylish or comfortable , but it feels like I sit 3 " lower . It Really helps in those situations where your looking to put a foot down and the height and weight of the DRZ is working against you. Plus it allows me to leave my stock two tone seat at home where it won't get torn up .

• Like 1

I'm also looking into recovering the low seat to give it a better appearance and possibly adding a thin layer of something to add a little more comfort without losing the benefit of the low sculpted cut .

• Like 1

If memory serves, SM forks/triple clamps have a slightly different rake/trail and a tad less fork travel.  Unless you're seriously competing, it doesn't matter.  Supermoto compression and rebound are very different than dirt, if serious then springs too.

I'm currently running SV650 rims shod with Avon Storm Ultra.  Rode a bit of Rowher OHV with this set up, turned around pretty quick.  Avons do fairly well in wet turns, you'll feel a vibe in the bars at their limit.  Just ease off the lean a bit.

I prefer the 17s on the street.  Planted, no squirm, rail turns, great braking, but things do happen faster on the slab so keep your wits full on.

You may have to shorten the kickstand or the bike will park straight up.  Removed off 1.5" of tubing, welded a rod in the remnant and drilled a couple cross holes for a bolt.

• Like 1

I want to fab up an aluminum kickstand.  not sure if I could find alum tubing with thick enough wall to be trusty. or if I used solid rod if there  would be a weight savings . just an Idea I had .

• Like 1

Back in 2003 my dad picked up a 2003klxr and I quickly took it over. Putting a fmf system on it doing a 3x3 mod and new handle bars. Never had any issues with the bike other then a cheap front sprocket blowing apart  during a wheelie, causing some damage to the motor. Off road I loved the bike and enjoyed riding it, not much on road experience though.

In 2009 I bought a new sm and I was super disappointed. No fcr, lower compression, softer cams, and a very restricted pipe. off road it was much lower to the ground and found my self thinking I had more clearance.

After a lot of money and a few years of riding I don't miss my klxr so much. I do miss the green though. lol

• Like 1

I recently picked up a set of S wheels and threw them on my SM, ran the SM rotors. Was a blast, had to remind myself on the road I had knobbies on, and couldn't be happier with how it preformed offroad. Only complaint was I have the Tall Seat Concepts cover, even at 6' 2" it's pretty high off the ground.

I like the DRZ offroad so much I'm building another from the ground up.

• Like 1

I recently picked up a set of S wheels and threw them on my SM, ran the SM rotors. Was a blast, had to remind myself on the road I had knobbies on, and couldn't be happier with how it preformed offroad. Only complaint was I have the Tall Seat Concepts cover, even at 6' 2" it's pretty high off the ground.

I like the DRZ offroad so much I'm building another from the ground up.

Yes the tall seat would be way high, I have a std height concepts and it feels much higher than the stock seat....