Sign in to follow this  

'09 KLX 250s valve specs?

Howdy,

I have an 09 klx 250s that was a pain to start after being warmed up then parked when I go into a store or something.  And now after sitting for a month It won't start.

When I bought the bike a few months ago it started fine but it has steadily gotten worse.

I was going to check my clearances but I can't find the specs listed anywhere. I have a shim kit and everything needed to do it just not sure what the specs are.

Any help/information will be appreciated

Thanks!

Hey Chris,

I am not sure I am really doing you a favor, as you really should get a service manual... it will give you a better idea of what you are getting into, as well as specific procedures for correctly checking the clearance... digital copies are readily available online for free!  IMO...

However, if you just want to check (@TDC-compression) and see if that may be your issue:

Ex: 0.15-0.24mm or 0.0059-0.0094"

In: 0.10-0.19mm or 0.0039-0.0075"

Hope you find your problem (You may have bigger problems if the valves went out of adjustment in a few months...)

God Bless,

TC

On edit: Specs are for 2009-2013

Edited by TimC63

Howdy,

I have an 09 klx 250s that was a pain to start after being warmed up then parked when I go into a store or something.  And now after sitting for a month It won't start.

When I bought the bike a few months ago it started fine but it has steadily gotten worse.

I was going to check my clearances but I can't find the specs listed anywhere. I have a shim kit and everything needed to do it just not sure what the specs are.

Any help/information will be appreciated

Thanks!

Possibly two separate issues.

First, after sitting for a month the gas in the float bowl may be bad.  Turn off the gas, drain the carb (small screw at the bottom of the float bowl accessable from the side), then turn gas on - fresh gas from tank (less surface area/volume) will allow the bike to start easier.  I have to do this with my 650 after 5 days.  The stuff won't even light with a match.

On the warm start, if you have the notorious clatter at 4000-5000 rpm it may be indicating your tensioner has failed and needs replaced.  It may be allowing the cam timing to change enough to make starting difficult.  Another player might be tight valves.  Check your valve clearances.  These two things made my 650 start hard, misfiring through the exhaust.  I not oly had the tensioner fail (twice actually, the second time I went to a manual tensioner) but I had two valves burnt.  Top end rebuild.  I went to a manual tensioner and have since ended up making them for a wide variety of bikes including the KLX250, one of which I now own, an 09 like yours. 

My 250 starts a bit hard when cold, but I need to adjust the idle mix and maybe step the idle jet up a size.  It also may have to do with our sub-freezing temps and the week delay in starting too.  I do know it has the dreaded rattle at 5000 rpm and I have a tensioner sitting here in front of me to install in my own bike.

Don't know if this helps much, but it might.