Steering stem bearing possibly going bad?

So when I turn my handlebars it's got a notchy feeling to it and I'm gonna take apart everything and check the bearings. But before I do, I was just curious if Is it possible that I just need to regrease them or do I need completely new bearings?

What year is the bike ?

Have you ever greased them ?

Could be time for some new ones

What year is the bike ?

Have you ever greased them ?

Could be time for some new ones

+1...Since they're relatively cheap, I'd spring for new one's. Gotta get the bearing preload right...overtight, or loose will wear 'em out quick.

The bike is an 09 I got it this summer. It was a leftover and so it was sitting for 5 years. I'm thinking it sat outside for some of that time and the weather got to it. And no I haven't messed with the bearings at all yet.

it's your choice 

rip it apart to go to grease it  if there bad order a new set and wait for them to show

or have a set handy  and open it up  maybe they just need grease and then you will have spares for another time

with the limited use on yours  I would hope it just needs lubed but ya never know

it might just need greasing but i'd bet that it's notchy cause they don't grease them worth a shit at the factory and the race is now worn and grease won't help. just replace the bearings and races and call it good. only takes about an hour or so and $40. 

edit: don't over grease the bearings. if you do, the grease will leak out of the bottom end of the steering tube onto your fender when you ride due to the grease thinning from heat.

Edited by schrode

edit: don't over grease the bearings. if you do, the grease will leak out of the bottom end of the steering tube onto your fender when you ride due to the grease thinning from heat.

why not use High temp grease ?

All right thanks guys. I'll figure out what I want to do from here. Appreciate the comments!

Your bearings are done! Greasing them will prolong their life a little longer, but if you do that, one morning, after your bike sits for a week, you will grab the bars to go for a ride, only to discover the bars don't move, and you need to give them a good crack to break the seized bearings free.

why not use High temp grease ?

it'll still thin out. idk, anymore i just use the standard belray grease for everything. it really doesn't make that much of a difference.

I would tear it apart and clean them. If you see any rust on the bearing scrap them for new ones. Its not like these are turning 5000 Rpm's so unless they are rusted i would just re-pack them and tighten to spec.

Thanks!

Edited by 09YZeeee250

Don't Mickey Mouse it please. Leave that halfassed crap for the plasti dip crowd. Your bearings are done, and MM them could lead to failure, and a crash at the worst time

it might just need greasing but i'd bet that it's notchy cause they don't grease them worth a shit at the factory and the race is now worn and grease won't help. just replace the bearings and races and call it good. only takes about an hour or so and $40. 

Steering stem grease gets THAT hot?

That's why I said I'm going to tear it all down and have a look at them. Annnd most likely will be replacing the old bearings

Steering stem grease gets THAT hot?

I doubt it, but they are right beside the rads. And they get pretty hot.

I doubt it, but they are right beside the rads. And they get pretty hot.

Lol...i still don't see it getting hot enough to DRIP! I mean, they are a very low speed part. Not like the heat of the rads is really radiating forward when you are at speed with air pushing their heat backwards. I dunno..i just think its ridiculous to say that steering stem bearings get so hot that the grease will liquify to that extent.

Lil test...go ride really hard for a while...or even a moto...feel the neck. If its hot enough to make grease run from heat....its gonna be pretty hot to the touch.

Edited by J_WR2fitty

depending on how hard you throw your bike around that might be a possibility 

Lol...i still don't see it getting hot enough to DRIP! I mean, they are a very low speed part. Not like the heat of the rads is really radiating forward when you are at speed with air pushing their heat backwards. I dunno..i just think its ridiculous to say that steering stem bearings get so hot that the grease will liquify to that extent.

Lil test...go ride really hard for a while...or even a moto...feel the neck. If its hot enough to make grease run from heat....its gonna be pretty hot to the touch.

maybe i'm just that awesome!! LOL.

i went batshit crazy with the grease years ago and really over did it, and for a whole summer had it staining the back half of my front fender every ride.

your results may very. 

edit:

if you do want to test the "theory" you'll probably have to wait for the heat next year. then go creep through a boulder garden, at altitude, on a 90+ degree day where the bike wants to puke all the coolant out and you have to refill from the creek once or twice, with your steering bearings way over greased, and you'll likely have the same results.

Edited by schrode

New bearings and bel-ray marine grease set ya good for looong time.