Steering stem bearing possibly going bad?

it's your choice 

rip it apart to go to grease it  if there bad order a new set and wait for them to show

or have a set handy  and open it up  maybe they just need grease and then you will have spares for another time

with the limited use on yours  I would hope it just needs lubed but ya never know

• Like 2

it might just need greasing but i'd bet that it's notchy cause they don't grease them worth a shit at the factory and the race is now worn and grease won't help. just replace the bearings and races and call it good. only takes about an hour or so and $40. 

edit: don't over grease the bearings. if you do, the grease will leak out of the bottom end of the steering tube onto your fender when you ride due to the grease thinning from heat.

Edited by schrode
  • Like 1

Your bearings are done! Greasing them will prolong their life a little longer, but if you do that, one morning, after your bike sits for a week, you will grab the bars to go for a ride, only to discover the bars don't move, and you need to give them a good crack to break the seized bearings free.

it might just need greasing but i'd bet that it's notchy cause they don't grease them worth a shit at the factory and the race is now worn and grease won't help. just replace the bearings and races and call it good. only takes about an hour or so and $40. 

edit: don't over grease the bearings. if you do, the grease will leak out of the bottom end of the steering tube onto your fender when you ride due to the grease thinning from heat.

Steering stem grease gets THAT hot?

I doubt it, but they are right beside the rads. And they get pretty hot.

Lol...i still don't see it getting hot enough to DRIP! I mean, they are a very low speed part. Not like the heat of the rads is really radiating forward when you are at speed with air pushing their heat backwards. I dunno..i just think its ridiculous to say that steering stem bearings get so hot that the grease will liquify to that extent.

Lil test...go ride really hard for a while...or even a moto...feel the neck. If its hot enough to make grease run from heat....its gonna be pretty hot to the touch.

Edited by J_WR2fitty

Lol...i still don't see it getting hot enough to DRIP! I mean, they are a very low speed part. Not like the heat of the rads is really radiating forward when you are at speed with air pushing their heat backwards. I dunno..i just think its ridiculous to say that steering stem bearings get so hot that the grease will liquify to that extent.

Lil test...go ride really hard for a while...or even a moto...feel the neck. If its hot enough to make grease run from heat....its gonna be pretty hot to the touch.

maybe i'm just that awesome!! LOL.

i went batshit crazy with the grease years ago and really over did it, and for a whole summer had it staining the back half of my front fender every ride.

your results may very. 

edit:

if you do want to test the "theory" you'll probably have to wait for the heat next year. then go creep through a boulder garden, at altitude, on a 90+ degree day where the bike wants to puke all the coolant out and you have to refill from the creek once or twice, with your steering bearings way over greased, and you'll likely have the same results.

Edited by schrode