Sign in to follow this  

Repair of damged threads in IMS tank

Hi!  has anyone tried to install a help-coil thread insert in an IMS 3,2 gallon tank?

I think it might work but it would be a bummer it starts to leak...

It is one of the threads for the shrouds that is damaged.

This is a common problem.

Do yourself a favor and remove all your shroud bolts, chain adjuster bolts, fork protector bolts, etc (any steel bolt into any non-steel metal contact) and coat them with anti-seize compound.

Otherwise they will eventually corrode and seize into place.

Fixing the shroud captive nut is easy.

Using a cordless drill, spin the 'stuck' fastener until the plastic melts enough for you to pull the bolt/brass nut out of the tank. It will not damage the tank.

When re-installing the shroud fasteners, first clean out the now 'spun' hole and apply JB weld to the brass nut cavity and install the nut. Don't get any JB on the threads......

Install the shroud with the JB weld still slightly wet, so the brass nut will seft-align .

• Like 1

The brass nuts are still in place, but The threads are gone. So my plan is to install a heli-coil thread into The exsisting brass , but I am not sure if There is enough material.

The brass nuts are still in place, but The threads are gone. So my plan is to install a heli-coil thread into The exsisting brass , but I am not sure if There is enough material.

If this is what you want to do, it can be done. First, make sure to only drill out the brass insert, and not into the tank. Second, get a very shallow HeliCoil. They come in all sizes, you'll need one only 4 or 5 threads deep. Third, you'll need to use a "bottom out" tap, not the one supplied in the HeliCoil kit. The tap that is supplied is a "starter" tap, meaning that there is an extreme taper for the first 1/4" or so enabling the tap to properly center itself. If the hole you are trying to tap is only 1/4", you will not cut any threads at all. The bottoming tap has threads all the way to the end.

• Like 1