Changing oil

Hi I have a 2009 yz250f and when I go to change my oil, I take out the crankcase plug, the plug for the oil strainer, and the oil filter drain plug. Now my question is, I fill it up to the top of the sight window, then I start it up for a couple minutes shut it off, then look at the window. I filled it up again, started it let it run shut it off, and it was still at the top of the window but instead of looking new it already looked black. When I read the Manuel it says that I should've replaced 1.12 quarts of oil but when I look at how much I put in I only put back in about half a quart. Can anybody help me out? Thanks

Oil change with filter you need to put 1.2 liters in-- not fill off the sight window.

The oil pump needs to refill the oil tank in the front.

Compare it to how much you drained out. Also it should look new but will prob be a little darker after running from it mixing with the old oil that was still in the case on the gears in the oil tank etc

Ok I will look at that. Mom probably won't be happy that I use her measuring tools

I checked and I don think there was much oil in my drip pan but when I measured it it was maybe 3/4 of a quart. Is that normal?

for my '13, using a qt is perfect. and thats with the filter change. the manual does call doe 1.2 but ive found thats a little much. probably because not every ounce of oil is coming out. 1 qt is perfect. comes right where it needs to be in the sight window. a little past halfway between the min and max lines

Hi I have a 2009 yz250f and when I go to change my oil, I take out the crankcase plug, the plug for the oil strainer, and the oil filter drain plug. Now my question is, I fill it up to the top of the sight window, then I start it up for a couple minutes shut it off, then look at the window. I filled it up again, started it let it run shut it off, and it was still at the top of the window but instead of looking new it already looked black. When I read the Manuel it says that I should've replaced 1.12 quarts of oil but when I look at how much I put in I only put back in about half a quart. Can anybody help me out? Thanks

There is a Phillips head bolt at the top of your oil tank. I always take it out when changing my oil. It allows air in and the tank to completely drain. Like the others have said, you need to be putting in 1.1 quarts with a filter change.

your description of the drain plugs are doesn't sound right. Are you looking at a manual? if the skid plate is off and you have an unobstructed view of the engine you need to remove 3 bolts.

1) top of the oil tank needs a 10mm socket (this is an air vent plug)

2) bottom of the oil tank needs a 10 mm socket. (this is the drain plug)

3) bottom of the engine case needs a 12 mm wrench. (this is draining the transmission area)

you should get near 1.1 L of oil drained from these 2 locations.

Yep that is what I'm draining from and I only got about 5/8 of a quart. It fills up my check window fine though

And that's what I don't understand why isn't there enough coming out? Is it still in the motor somewhere or am I not putting enough back as if I should fill up two different spots?