Sign in to follow this  

Riding an '87 xr600 from Los Angeles to Orlando

Hey, I have no concerns for comfort or time it will take. I just want to know what problems I will run in to with the bike mechanically. If anybody has done anything like this with an XR I'd like to hear your story.

Thank ya

Hey, I have no concerns for comfort or time it will take. I just want to know what problems I will run in to with the bike mechanically. If anybody has done anything like this with an XR I'd like to hear your story.

Thank ya

WHY?WHY?WHY?...LOL...You really want to take a big thumper on a long tour like that? Isn't that like 4000 miles one way? The bike is comfortable...but not for touring. If it was me, i would freshen the engine up, run a good synthetic oil, fit a oil cooler on it, aftermarket seat and gear that puppy up for the run on the freeways. If you decide to do it, all the power to you. It would be a testiment to the reliability of honda's big air cooled single.

Edited by Thumper3

Should be a good adventure.

Assuming your bike, including driveline is in top shape, ready to go.

To me, the most important detail would be oil.

I would carry a quart with me for gas stop top-ups.

I would dump the oil (not the filter) at least 4 times during that trip.

I would use a 15w40 HDEO such as conventional Rotella or similar, every truck stop carries it and they can handle your used oil.

Secondly, I would indicate on a map where the Honda dealers are along your route with their shop hours, just in case.

Third, I would stay off Interstate highways, the secondary roads are much more fun on a bike.

Have fun!

Edited by paul246
  • Like 1

I know a guy that did a 49 State tour plus came to Canada ...stayed with me a month...wnna link to his ride thread..

B

wheres the link !?

I'd do it on my XL, but I'd stay off freeways and stay at hotels.  I don't think singles like being run at high speeds for long and I wouldn't want the drag the weight of camping gear with me.  Shouldn't have a problem otherwise.  Make sure your carbs are clean and in good shape.  Would be unfortunate to have a jet to clog up or have some sort of leak while you're in the middle of who know's where.  Check the all the seals, make sure your floats are set right, and clean everything you can.  

That and look for loose bolts, old bikes and singles like to rattle things apart over time.

I can't believe nobody has suggested putting more road-worthy tires on the bike.  Something like Avon Distanzias would make a huge difference in the comfort level and safety compared to to knobbies running on 4000 miles of pavement.  I've never done a 4000 mile trip, but I once did an Iron-Butt (1075 miles in 23 hours, thank you very much) and I am betting you will be wishing you had a LOT better seat than you have now.

definetly lock tight many of the bolts like fenders and stuff like that.. there will be a lot of vibration on the bike, maybe a cushdrive sprocket would be a good suggestion?

I have Avon Distanzia's on a 92 XR600R and I can run it at 65mph but it is wound pretty tight. the tires are better than knobs but they still vibrate a little more than true road tires. They have some lift on their tread pattern for a little more grip on gravel or something. 

I just bought a 15T countershaft sprocket,  so we'll see how that goes on the freeway.

Ya gear that hoe to the moon! Check spokes and trueness of wheels, bearings, new chain/sprockets. Good luck! I think that's awesome!

When younger I took a Suzuki TS125 from Minnesota to Montana and back. That same summer I heard of a guy taking the same bike from Kentucky to Alaska. You will be a on a Buick compared to that bike.

I like the idea of changing oil often (or install an oil cooler). Keep on top of the chain and chain lube. A small wind screen will be a godsend. Tank bag.

I forget the name of the product there is a thing out there that goes over your seat with two water bottles in it (two pockets) to effectively widen your seat. Get to where you're going and drink the water and fold up the gizmo and your golden. Replace with new water bottles as needed. A buddy uses this on his DR-350.

Keep us posted. Sounds like a hoot to me!

This is incredible, thank you. Sounds like gearing it up, oil, and tires are my work. Ill be sure to update and probably come here for advice often.

Thanks again

I forget the name of the product there is a thing out there that goes over your seat with two water bottles in it (two pockets) to effectively widen your seat. Get to where you're going and drink the water and fold up the gizmo and your golden. Replace with new water bottles as needed. A buddy uses this on his DR-350.

this seems interesting.  I wonder what it's called.....

I'd do it on my XL, but I'd stay off freeways and stay at hotels.  I don't think singles like being run at high speeds for long and I wouldn't want the drag the weight of camping gear with me.  Shouldn't have a problem otherwise.  Make sure your carbs are clean and in good shape.  Would be unfortunate to have a jet to clog up or have some sort of leak while you're in the middle of who know's where.  Check the all the seals, make sure your floats are set right, and clean everything you can.  

That and look for loose bolts, old bikes and singles like to rattle things apart over time.

Don't know about the 600 but the 650L stock gearing is such that the sweet spot is around 65 to 75 easy. 55 is almost to slow for 15/45. You can hear the chain snatching a bit at those RPM's.

But would agree on watching oil level big time. Lube chain, put a temp gauge on the oil fill and watch that. You'd be riding across the hottest part of the country.