Sign in to follow this  

New Project 87 XR600

I picked up this 87 XR600 last night from a guy I know who is moving and didnt want to move it so the price tag of $0 was just right. he said the motor supposedly ran but the carb (dual)  was incomplete and obviously the thing needs some parts and love. I am going to do a frame up restoration on it. I am a big guy 6'3" 290 lbs so I want it to have plenty of power (so maybe lower gears?). I dont want to race it mostly just trails and a little hill climbing and a little on road occationally for short distances.so I want to build it for power and reliability. looking for advice on all aspects of the build. right off I am thinking of red frame and accents with black plastics.. I would also like a set of slightly taller handle bars for standing while riding when i get tired of sitting. Here are a couple pics of it as it sits in my garage. It is mostly thereI have the carb, just missing a few little things and the fenders. all comments and ideas welcome...Like where should I start? I was thinking of stripping to the bare frame and blasting, powder coating that then rebuilding the motor and carb and going from there.

Mike

IMG_20131102_150919275.jpg

IMG_20131102_150846402.jpg

Edited by Tikkamike

Lucky!!I just bought an eighty seven with a bad motor for a few hundred. I will see what you do with this bike as I build mine up too

I a not sure if there is a right or wrong way, but I will tell you what I did and what I would do after learning some things the hard way.

I basically tore it down to the frame, stripped and repainted, and then pieced it back together.  I would take a part, clean it up, repair it, and then get it back on the bike.  It took about 6 months for me.

If I did it again, i would save up the cash before hand and then just do it all at once.  Painting and cleaning up parts is pretty easy.  Most likely it will need new consumables like bearings, chain, sprockets, chain guide, chain slider, etc.  Focus on the engine.  The mill is really the heart of the project.

Also realize that even at 290 pounds, the 600 will be plenty for you.  Instead of worrying about power, look at suspension updates.  Heavier springs front and rear and re-valving.

Looks like a cool project.  keep posting when you can.

I a not sure if there is a right or wrong way, but I will tell you what I did and what I would do after learning some things the hard way.

I basically tore it down to the frame, stripped and repainted, and then pieced it back together.  I would take a part, clean it up, repair it, and then get it back on the bike.  It took about 6 months for me.

If I did it again, i would save up the cash before hand and then just do it all at once.  Painting and cleaning up parts is pretty easy.  Most likely it will need new consumables like bearings, chain, sprockets, chain guide, chain slider, etc.  Focus on the engine.  The mill is really the heart of the project.

Also realize that even at 290 pounds, the 600 will be plenty for you.  Instead of worrying about power, look at suspension updates.  Heavier springs front and rear and re-valving.

Looks like a cool project.  keep posting when you can.

ill try to take pics as I go of each stage. I would like to do the motor myself but I want someone who knows what they are doing to do it the first time. Then when I know I have a good solid rig ill fix anything that happens from then on.  I do plan to do the paint and minor things myself. Hopefully it doesnt break the bank. How much did your resto cost approximatley?

By the way I'm 6'5" and 350 and it hauls me just fine stock, like big red said, suspension is probably more important.in my 92 I put an xr650l rear shock in it and it made a HUGE difference cause it's built to haul two people. I need to increase the rate on my front spring next

By the way I'm 6'5" and 350 and it hauls me just fine stock, like big red said, suspension is probably more important.in my 92 I put an xr650l rear shock in it and it made a HUGE difference cause it's built to haul two people. I need to increase the rate on my front spring next

I restored an 85 XR600R which I got for $0 as well. First thing I started on was getting the motor to start and see if there were any glitches I needed to know about before I put major money into it like aesthetics and the such. You can see the transformation on my facebook @  https://www.facebook.com/Bassjockey/media_set?set=a.1634046454190.2089404.1327534474&type=3 It took me longer for money reasons but you get the idea. After the motor ran decent enough I took it out and cleaned it and the bike up...front then back. Sold her a few months ago for a 2007 XR650L and I love both bikes equally. 

Buy yourself a factory manual, NOT a Clymer, and think hard about just doing the motor yourself. The head and cylinder work is fine to take somewhere for experience and known quality, but the rest is fairly easy. Take lots of pictures as you disassemble and just pay attention to how things came apart. That's where some real $ savings can be had. Lots of videos online also.

I've just started on a triplet of XT's for complete restores, all three in different directions.2 converting to e-start. Powdercoating most parts instead of painting for durability. Actually it's 4 XT's, and 1 in the wings. Anyone needing a rebuilt XT?

DSCN0650.JPG

Edited by jjktmrider

Anyone here have a factory manual on the 85-87 XR600, just chasing the dual carb info. the manuals i have say they cover 85 but none of them have the dual carb info (thus the manual is actually 88 onwards) the bike shops here can't get me anything either. and i dint want to keep wasting money buying manuals that don't have the info.

I have XL600 dual carb info but its slightly different to what i have. any XR info would be amazing