Sign in to follow this  

13 450 sxf oil viscosity

Not looking to start another huge oil debate just wanna know if anybody with a 13 450 sxf is using rotella t6, I know it's good oil cause I've used it for years in my crfs, but I'm just worried about it being too thin because of Ktm saying our bikes need 10-50 or 10-60, and the rotella being 5-40.

Thats a loaded question. What type of riding, are you a racer, what kind of ambient temps, rekluse, no rekluse  clutch abuser? If you want objective information do a google search for oil company websites. If you want subjectivism and conjecture, stick around.

I don't think Rotella T6 has the additives necessary to run a dry clutch. I know the certification states it does, but even the manufacturer states it is NOT a motorcycle oil.

The higher viscosity helps with oil burning at high temps. You'll find the lower viscosity oil's will burn a bit more. But otherwise, it seems the wear characteristics of 10w40 - 10w60 are pretty much identical.

Truth be told, if you change your oil a lot and do motor builds on KTM's schedule, any decent synthetic oil will protect your motor. Sure, I'm a believer in certain brands and viscosities, but thats what an oil debate thread is for! heh ;)

For you, a motorcycle specific 10w50 or 10w60 will do just fine.

Yes, Rotella will be just fine.......

Combine that with a million guys run the stuff in their bikes with no issues why would it be any different for you?