KTM 350SXF - 365 2nd post

Not sure how I posted on the incorrect area

Newbe here (1st post) but I wanted to share my KTM story. 

I have a 2012 KTM 350 and even though the bike has good power ( I came off a 250f); it was just missing something.  I saw an article "We ride cylinder works KTM 365SXF big bore" so I decided to try it.  When MXA says they can't gush enough about it, in my opinion they are not lying.

Power:  MXA says the power isn't increased but I guess because it's moved down lower it appears to have gained a bunch.  On the first lap I carried the front wheel (wheelie) all the way down the 1st straight.  :D   I think I'm going to go back to the stock gearing because coming out of corners in 2nd the front would lift! 

Now if I can just get the bike to turn - front end to stick better (I've had a revalve already).  I'm going to change my sag to see if it helps?

Q: Anyone else try the kit?

Q: Anyone else have front end bite issues?

MXA loves mid-range, they can't stand top-only bikes.

The 350 has more then enough mid-range and top end, why anyone would remove that beautiful boxbridge piston and throw in some aftermarket Chinese piece of junk, is beyond me.

If your sag numbers are good, lower the front from one ring to 2 rings showing. I've found that to be magic with the WP forks, it puts a bit more weight on the front, the bike will steer slower as a consequence, but man ohh man does it resolve the front grip issues. :)

I would like to also know about the others with the 365 kit other than the MXA review. I tend to think sometimes people like that are Bias..

I spent a full day riding some snotty, snowy, rooty trails on a borrowed 013 sx 365.Former pro mxer's bike , no skid plate bark busters or anything else including a rekluse.The suspension had been revalved but the current owner had opted to put lighter springs  way to light of my 220lbs. Now I can't give you a 350 to 365 comparison but I can tell you that for my stye of riding I would say its the best bike I have ever ridden , so good in fact I'm gonna get me one.

Edited by widebear

Tye1138: I didn't mind the power in the mid or top end it was the bottom that I wanted a little more of. 

I'm at the top ring on the forks.  I'm going to play with the sag and see if that helps as painful as that is.

Matt

Tye1138: I didn't mind the power in the mid or top end it was the bottom that I wanted a little more of.

I doubt a tiny bit more bore will help that. Remember, the cam's are designed for top end, high RPM running. You can't magically get more low-end from the motor using a cam like that unless you go WAY bigger on the bore, like 450 - 500 to make a big difference.

You could also try 13/50 sprockets on that thing, see if that helps...

Is it a 450 bottom - NO but I'm telling you the change was dramatic.  Per the MXA article - the overal power isn't increased but to me it seems like it is.  The power was just moved down and I like it :) The 1st half of the power is greatly improved.

Low end. The 365 made two more horses than the 350 at 6000 rpm and three horses more at 8000 rpm.

Which is about 10% a decent gain

Yeah mog and you can feel that for sure.  I was suprised for sure.  I hit it like I normally do (clutch and grab a handful) and the front stayed in the air.  :)

ok this is the exact reason I don't have a 350. check the retail cost of your 350. check the retail cost of a 450.its about $ 200 difference . now u put a 365 kit in it cause u want more power, what did that cost? and you still don't have the power of a 450! why not just buy the 450? im sure the 350 is an excellent bike, no doubt in my mind, but for a couple dollars more you can have what your trying to receive with the 350, and it will require less maintainace, cause the 350 is a higher reving machine. just my 2 cents? but im sure your bike is alotta fun!

The kit was like $440.  I don't want the weight of the 450 - and not sitting weight - moving.  Truth is I'd rather have a 250 but I wanted more power so I got the 350 because it handles more like a 250 (and I got it for $5K).  The bike stock was fine I just had money burning a hole in my pocket. :)  Reading about the 13 model; it's suppose to be way better and has 6 extra HP.  I was going to buy one of those but did the kit instead since I've already done the suspension. 

Who can educate me on the various sx's? Are the cranks similar between any of the two,is the 350 a oversize 250 or undersized 450. Whats the story?

The 450 is just so much bigger in feel it doesn't really compare to the 350 in anything but power

im the same i  much rather the 350 over the 450 just feels much more lighter and i like to rev an engine... just my style

Yeah mog and you can feel that for sure.  I was suprised for sure.  I hit it like I normally do (clutch and grab a handful) and the front stayed in the air.  :)

Sure you can, its a new piston and cylinder. Put a new stock 350 piston and cylinder in there, I bet you'd feel the difference instantly. You'd need two bikes, one as a 350 and one as a 365 to tell the difference. You can't tell from simply going from a used motor to a new motor, thats just not gonna be an accurate test unfortunately.

ok this is the exact reason I don't have a 350. check the retail cost of your 350. check the retail cost of a 450.its about $ 200 difference . now u put a 365 kit in it cause u want more power, what did that cost? and you still don't have the power of a 450! why not just buy the 450? im sure the 350 is an excellent bike, no doubt in my mind, but for a couple dollars more you can have what your trying to receive with the 350, and it will require less maintainace, cause the 350 is a higher reving machine. just my 2 cents? but im sure your bike is alotta fun!

Couldn't agree with you more. Today, the 350 is an out of place machine. Back before the Dungey bike, back before the 350 was powerful, it fit in perfectly. It filled the gap between the 250 and the 450 perfectly and back then the 450 was underpowered compared to the Dungey bike. Today however, in my view there are only two bikes, the 250 and 450. The 350 is just a big-boy 250, the 450 is a totally different bike all together.

Couldn't agree with you more. Today, the 350 is an out of place machine. Back before the Dungey bike, back before the 350 was powerful, it fit in perfectly. It filled the gap between the 250 and the 450 perfectly and back then the 450 was underpowered compared to the Dungey bike. Today however, in my view there are only two bikes, the 250 and 450. The 350 is just a big-boy 250, the 450 is a totally different bike all together.

LoL I couldnt disagree more. Im not lightning fast and im not slow either. I cant ride the big bikes, to me they push in the front end to much and they have far to much power for me to feel safe. I like to be able to be on top of the power and be able to rev them hard .With the 450 i feel like one little mistake and it will bite hard with the enormous power and weight and just wear me out to quickly. The new 250 motor for me is awsome ,revs really hard and makes great power on top but lacks a little bottom, Hello 350......... The ktm ride day is next week in my area and ill decide if i stay 250 or go 350. The 450 is not an option for me at all, not a fan . 

LoL I couldnt disagree more. Im not lightning fast and im not slow either. I cant ride the big bikes, to me they push in the front end to much and they have far to much power for me to feel safe. I like to be able to be on top of the power and be able to rev them hard .With the 450 i feel like one little mistake and it will bite hard with the enormous power and weight and just wear me out to quickly. The new 250 motor for me is awsome ,revs really hard and makes great power on top but lacks a little bottom, Hello 350......... The ktm ride day is next week in my area and ill decide if i stay 250 or go 350. The 450 is not an option for me at all, not a fan .

Have you ridden the 2013 450SXF? Everyone I know says its the best bike they've ever ridden. The only other comparable bike is the current Honda CRF450.

I agree, I don't like big bikes, never have. But if you're doing a 350, its only a few hp less then the lazier to ride 450. Plus the 450 has less moving parts, its a single cam remember.

Rode the 450 at the ride day last year . I'm just not a big bike guy I guess. The 350 doesn't turn as hard for me as the 250 but it's small compromise compared to the 450

MXA loves mid-range, they can't stand top-only bikes.

The 350 has more then enough mid-range and top end, why anyone would remove that beautiful boxbridge piston and throw in some aftermarket Chinese piece of junk, is beyond me.

If your sag numbers are good, lower the front from one ring to 2 rings showing. I've found that to be magic with the WP forks, it puts a bit more weight on the front, the bike will steer slower as a consequence, but man ohh man does it resolve the front grip issues. :)

That would make the bike turn quicker not slower.