Sign in to follow this  

What to do before starting bike for first time in over a year?

I had done a Cbr1000 battery upgrade to my DRZ about two years ago. After sitting for the winter on a POS tender, the battery was dead in the spring! That was well over a year ago. I'm finally heading down to swap out the battery and fire up the bike. Since it hasn't been turned over in a long time, anything I should do before I have at it? Maybe pull the plug and pour a bit of oil in the cylinder, spray something in there?

Drain the gas, clean the carb, change the oil, change the antifreeze, flush the brakes, inflate the tires, and go ride.

Antifreeze and oil are both fresh with little to no miles. I'm planning on flushing the tank and putting fresh gas in but was hoping to fire it without pulling the carb. It's got a TT FCR on it and it's a b!tch to get in and out. I was more worried about the rings being lubricated before trying to start it.

I'm sure you will be fine with just draining the old gas and filling it up with new. I don't think you should fuss with pulling the carb unless it doesn't run right. Just make sure there is oil/coolant in it and air in the tires.

I I'll never understand why people have such a hard time taking out the FCR. And I really believe it's wishful thinking that the carbs not going to need a cleaning after sitting for a year.

Antifreeze and oil are both fresh with little to no miles. I'm planning on flushing the tank and putting fresh gas in but was hoping to fire it without pulling the carb. It's got a TT FCR on it and it's a b!tch to get in and out. I was more worried about the rings being lubricated before trying to start it.

The rings will be fine , it wouldn't hurt to remove the valve cover and give the cams an oil bath .

Issue I've had with the FCR is the front and rear grommets. For whatever reason, it was always a struggle getting both on properly.

Greatest mod ever though! Well, so far. The MRD/SSW pipe is up there too. One day I will do a big bore ; )

Bike is an 08' with 5K-6K miles. Mainly just gets me to work in the summer months. Maybe 10 mile stretch of freeway each way. Usually rev between 6800-8000 rpm on the freeway commute. Seems to pure. My gearing has my bike reving almost to match the speed. 70mph = 7000rpm  Not dead on but close. I usually cruise between 70-75. Hoping these motors can handle that.

Thanks for the advice. I will get the new battery, drain and refill the tank. If it doesn't run right.... I will pull and clean the FCR.

Also want to add a fuel filter between the petcock and FCR.   

Antifreeze and oil are both fresh with little to no miles.

If this means the oil is a year old I would change it anyways.

Im running 15/38 gearing to make my DRZ (SM) more highway friendly.

Edited by OhioYJ

Flushed the tank. Pulled the barb and cleaned it up. Cleaned up the jets. I'm gonna get a new air filter for it as well. New battery, I'm going to get it fired and running. Will then change the oil and filter. Might even pull and clean the frame screen since it was done once when new. Flush the blake lines with fresh fluid. Antifreeze is fine. Bright green still. Had upgraded to silicone hoses shorty before it was rode last. Tempted to order the SSW throttle mod.