Sign in to follow this  

Main fuse keeps blowing

I'm doing the Hammer Run in NJ, and today, during the ride, my main fuse blew. The problem is, I can't kickstart the thing (a few others also tried/ not even close). I happened to have a lot of spares, and when i was down to my last one, a guy riding with me suggested putting in a fuse just to start it, then take it out. (Thanks, Michael!) That worked, but it was a major hassle any time I fell or stalled.

I can't fix it tonight (at a hotel- riding again tomorrow). Any ideas where I should look for the problem? I've never had a recurring fuse problem- just a random blown fuse. Not sure how to tackle this one.

Check wiring around where you cooling fan would be. those wires have connectors on them that are not insulated and have caused  problems for others. pull the tank and seat and have a good look where ever the wires are constricted. look for chafing. 

I forgot to mention that I disconnected the fan, just in case that was the problem, but it wasn't. Also, I rode with my lightswitch off, and that didnt make a difference.

I'll pull the tank next week.

Thanks

Did you disconnect your fan and tape your uninsulated wires together? Ask me how I know that haha not one of my finer moments

• Like 1

I'm doing the Hammer Run in NJ, and today, during the ride, my main fuse blew. The problem is, I can't kickstart the thing (a few others also tried/ not even close). I happened to have a lot of spares, and when i was down to my last one, a guy riding with me suggested putting in a fuse just to start it, then take it out. (Thanks, Michael!) That worked, but it was a major hassle any time I fell or stalled.

I can't fix it tonight (at a hotel- riding again tomorrow). Any ideas where I should look for the problem? I've never had a recurring fuse problem- just a random blown fuse. Not sure how to tackle this one.

On the RS models, one horn terminal is HOT (+12VDC) at all times. If it touches ground or the frame, POP goes the fuse!

Catfish ...