2014 250 XC Jetting for MPG

I just bought this bike and so far have put a spark arrestor and a 51T rear on it and rode it.  Jetting seems to be good, though I just can't bring myself to run it at 60:1 so i've been mixing at 44:1.  Today, I rode tight single track with some forest roads and finished on reserve at @40 miles.  I was riding with a guy on a 13 200 xc-w with XC gearing and he wasn't even at half tank when we got back.  I'm new to KTM's and there's not much info out on the 14's yet.  I'm thinking the needle needs changed and maybe try mixing at 50:1.  I've heard some had jetting issues with the older models but the 14 model seems decent to me.  Any ideas?

Lower your float... lean bike over on a 45 angle gas should not pour out untill you lean farther...If float is to high gas pours out on trail....Lowering float will not change how ot runs.  As for jetting use a 42 pilot nedh needle and 168/170 main.

Edited by E-TECH

I just bought this bike and so far have put a spark arrestor and a 51T rear on it and rode it.  Jetting seems to be good, though I just can't bring myself to run it at 60:1 so i've been mixing at 44:1.  Today, I rode tight single track with some forest roads and finished on reserve at @40 miles.  I was riding with a guy on a 13 200 xc-w with XC gearing and he wasn't even at half tank when we got back.  I'm new to KTM's and there's not much info out on the 14's yet.  I'm thinking the needle needs changed and maybe try mixing at 50:1.  I've heard some had jetting issues with the older models but the 14 model seems decent to me.  Any ideas?

I have a 2012 250XC and as far as jetting I just moved the needle down by moving the clip up one groove to lean it out a little.  I run 91 octane at 50:1 and the bike runs near perfect at about 2000ft with no ooze out the silencer.  I rode an Enduro yesterday that was just over 80 miles and only burned just over 3 gallons of gas in the dust.  I don't think the bike needs to be geared down though.  I run the stock 50 on back and 13 on front and like the trans spread for trails.  With the 51 you will be shifting more unless all you do is ride tight single track.  The 51 will also bring you MPG down some.

Since you live in California you could be riding at any elevation from 200' below sea level to over 10,000' above sea level. The temperature can range from -20° to 120°. This makes it impossible to keep the same jetting in your bike all the time. Jetting for Death Valley in the winter will not work in Mammoth in the summer. Stock jetting for KTM 2T bikes is set for about 2000' at about 70° with the stock silencer and pump gas mixed at 50:1. If you are not riding at 2000' at 70° you are not jetted right. Bad jetting will always waste gas because either you are not burning all the fuel (fat) or you are working your engine harder than it should be because you don't have enough fuel (lean). Crisp jetting will always deliver the best mileage. If you run a spark arrestor you will need to jet at least one step and possible two steps leaner than the chart says for that elevation and temperature.

There is no "magic" jetting spec that works all the time at every temperature and elevation with every possible combo of exhaust and silencer or gas and premix ratio. Buy the jets and needles that you will need for the places you ride and follow the chart. It is not perfect but it is close and you can play with it to get it spot-on if you want to.

I have never had any jetting issues with any of my KTMs. I change my jetting almost every time I ride because I live at 60' elevation (Rancho Cordova) and like to ride in the mountains and in Nevada.

P.S.  My 150 gets way better mileage than either of my 250s.

Here is the jetting chart for the 2014 250xc.

14KTM250XCJettingChart_zps517ba94c.jpg

Thanks for the input. :thumbsup:  So Sunday I rode from 3,000-7,000ft on a variety of terrain.  I put the 51T on because I ride a lot of really tight single track and want to utilize 2nd and 3rd more.  As far as jetting, I left it the same and mixed the fuel 50:1.  I should've dropped the needle prior but was in a hurry and just rode it.  Even at this elevation the bike still ran good, but not great. I carried about a half gallon with me and made 50 miles before reserve.  Bike only took a little over 2 gallon when I got back so still had .5 gallons in it when I got back.   After looking at my chart and the one Larry63R put up, I dropped the "W" needle down one, put a 168 main in, confirmed the float level was correct and will keep the rest the same.  Also will be mixing 60:1 from here out.  Most of my riding is done from 3,000-6,000ft so should be a little "crisper" now.  Going out again next weekend so I'll follow up with another report.  Again, thanks for the feedback :usa:

Edited by hagendog

I spent Monday and Tuesday on my 14 250 xc at 2000-3000 feet and 70 deg F. mix at 50:1, stock with a pro circuit 304 silencer. I started with the 2014 manual jetting chart but quickly realized that it was way too rich at small to mid throttle openings. I went leaner until it ran well and that was at 2 steps leaner on the pilot and one clip on the needle. This not so coincidentally is exactly what the 2011 250 xc manual recommends. Ktm richened it, but I believe they were spot on in 2011. I've tested my 2011 jetting at various altitudes and temperatures and could not improve on the manual chart.

I spent Monday and Tuesday on my 14 250 xc at 2000-3000 feet and 70 deg F. mix at 50:1, stock with a pro circuit 304 silencer. I started with the 2014 manual jetting chart but quickly realized that it was way too rich at small to mid throttle openings. I went leaner until it ran well and that was at 2 steps leaner on the pilot and one clip on the needle. This not so coincidentally is exactly what the 2011 250 xc manual recommends. Ktm richened it, but I believe they were spot on in 2011. I've tested my 2011 jetting at various altitudes and temperatures and could not improve on the manual chart.

Cool, I to found it rich on bottom lean on top. Still have a strange burble just a little over 1/4 throttle after a 1/2 km or so of pilot jet riding even though it's acting lean down there.

So it's riding like it's lean, but when I go to open it up, it's like it's loaded up... I'm a bit confused to say the least but I'm at the point where I'm not comfortable going any leaner on the pilot. I'm a step and 1/2 to 2 steps leaner than the chart.

Cool, I to found it rich on bottom lean on top. Still have a strange burble just a little over 1/4 throttle after a 1/2 km or so of pilot jet riding even though it's acting lean down there.

So it's riding like it's lean, but when I go to open it up, it's like it's loaded up... I'm a bit confused to say the least but I'm at the point where I'm not comfortable going any leaner on the pilot. I'm a step and 1/2 to 2 steps leaner than the chart.

What elev and temp are you riding at? Metric is fine. I thought the same thing and mine was acting the same as your description above. I went from a 40 pilot to a 38, then a 35. The 35 cleaned it up. I'm curious what the 2011 chart recommends for you.

Riding at 4500 to 5500' average temp was 15 C.

When I first got it I made a guesstimate based on my 11. But it was way too lean from 1/2 throttle on. So went back a size on the main. Top is great now. Very bottom feels touch lean which I'm OK with but it feels like just where you come on to the needle is rich. Tried the leanest needle in the kit (k????) But it messed up from mid throttle on....

One of the things not in my favor was our fall temps were all over the place so it was hard to get consistent trials, and I'm not very good with the patience to set aside a jetting day. :)

My method of trial and error is to ballpark it for a ride, make note of what I didn't like change that for the next ride. Not scientific, but "practical".

It's in the garage for the winter, believe I left it with j needle on 3rd clip. 162 main, 35 pilot.

I found for my 11 that I was a block leaner than recommend from the chart. Worked great for me. The thing about the 11 chart it gave me consistent power delivery between changes. ie you could take the settings right from the chart for different days and the delivery would be the same. The 14 feels all over the place to me.

As an aside, I'm riding with between 98-100 sag. The forks seem excellent on the small hack, and excellent on the big hits, but unpredictable and harsh on say the 6 to 8 inch logs or roots rocks. Have you found the same?. I didn't get a chance to fart around with oil levels before I parked it, wondering if someone in warmer climates has.

cheers

Riding at 4500 to 5500' average temp was 15 C.

When I first got it I made a guesstimate based on my 11. But it was way too lean from 1/2 throttle on. So went back a size on the main. Top is great now. Very bottom feels touch lean which I'm OK with but it feels like just where you come on to the needle is rich. Tried the leanest needle in the kit (k????) But it messed up from mid throttle on....

One of the things not in my favor was our fall temps were all over the place so it was hard to get consistent trials, and I'm not very good with the patience to set aside a jetting day. :)

My method of trial and error is to ballpark it for a ride, make note of what I didn't like change that for the next ride. Not scientific, but "practical".

It's in the garage for the winter, believe I left it with j needle on 3rd clip. 162 main, 35 pilot.

I found for my 11 that I was a block leaner than recommend from the chart. Worked great for me. The thing about the 11 chart it gave me consistent power delivery between changes. ie you could take the settings right from the chart for different days and the delivery would be the same. The 14 feels all over the place to me.

As an aside, I'm riding with between 98-100 sag. The forks seem excellent on the small hack, and excellent on the big hits, but unpredictable and harsh on say the 6 to 8 inch logs or roots rocks. Have you found the same?. I didn't get a chance to fart around with oil levels before I parked it, wondering if someone in warmer climates has.

cheers

For your elev and temp, I'd run a 168 main, n8rw in 3rd, with a 35 pilot about 2 turns out. We are way different on the main.

I was testing suspension on my 2011 so it was different from week to week. I can't remember stock anymore. The 2014 rear feels light years better than even the modified 11. I was never a fan of the pds.

Imo the 4 cs forks feel a bit harsh, but actually react well on sharp edge hits. They don't dive but I'm on the light end of the spring range at about 170 lbs in gear. I only tested them in Arizona near wickenburg where it is generally low speed with a lot of lose and some fixed sharp rock. In the sand washes, I love the way this bike carves turns. I need to hit a few well known trails before making any judgements. I'm putting together a video of the test ride now. I'll share when finished.

Noted for the spring, I will try your settings.

I think the stock suspension tracks on the small hack better that anything else I have riden, the rear keeps.excellent traction out of rooty turns and the whole package is very confidence inspiring. Have a feeling that just a little oil out of the forks will help alot for me. Cant wait for spring!