Sign in to follow this  

Frustration

I'm going to vent to you all, because its late and I'm in my garage looking at my 2002 cr250 back on the stand. I bought the bike lay year and rode the tits off it all winter. Last month a took her down for a new piston and saw that the cylinder was flaking off by on the exhaust port. I knew this was an issue with the hondas so I set out to my local shop to get her fixed up. I talked to my trusted mechanic and he assured me that our local engine builder who has been building motors or 20 years can take care of me.

So I hand over the cylinder and a new stock spec wiseco piston and he ordered a northwest steel sleeve. I know there are people who hate on resleeves instead of nikaseal. Nothing but good luck with sleeves here. Until now. I got the cylinder back and everything looked good except for a few nicks in the sleeve where he had gotten a little excited with the dremal. I was a little miffed about it but they where low in the cylinder and he assure me it would be fine. So today I took the bike out today for brake in and after 20 minute of ride time I was blowing coolant on my boot from the head gasket. Bummer. So I called the shop and i went down and had Tom replace it thinking it was my fault. I take it back out and ride for another 20 minutes and hot &%$#@!ing dammit she's leaking again.

I was pissed. I got home and took it apart myself and checked out all my clearances and surfaces. The machinist didn't machine the head flat. The sleeve had a high spot that was at least .001 upon more inspection the exhaust bridge port had began letting go metal flakes like the stock cylinder..what the? So here I am, set back 500 bucks with a shitty cylinder and a stock that won't honor its &%$#@! up. Worst part is I've been friends with the guy for along time. All I want to ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1383461396.911416.jpgdo is ride!!!!

I'm going to vent to you all, because its late and I'm in my garage looking at my 2002 cr250 back on the stand. I bought the bike lay year and rode the tits off it all winter. Last month a took her down for a new piston and saw that the cylinder was flaking off by on the exhaust port. I knew this was an issue with the hondas so I set out to my local shop to get her fixed up. I talked to my trusted mechanic and he assured me that our local engine builder who has been building motors or 20 years can take care of me.

So I hand over the cylinder and a new stock spec wiseco piston and he ordered a northwest steel sleeve. I know there are people who hate on resleeves instead of nikaseal. Nothing but good luck with sleeves here. Until now. I got the cylinder back and everything looked good except for a few nicks in the sleeve where he had gotten a little excited with the dremal. I was a little miffed about it but they where low in the cylinder and he assure me it would be fine. So today I took the bike out today for brake in and after 20 minute of ride time I was blowing coolant on my boot from the head gasket. Bummer. So I called the shop and i went down and had Tom replace it thinking it was my fault. I take it back out and ride for another 20 minutes and hot &%$#@!ing dammit she's leaking again.

I was pissed. I got home and took it apart myself and checked out all my clearances and surfaces. The machinist didn't machine the head flat. The sleeve had a high spot that was at least .001 upon more inspection the exhaust bridge port had began letting go metal flakes like the stock cylinder..what the? So here I am, set back 500 bucks with a shitty cylinder and a stock that won't honor its &%$#@! up. Worst part is I've been friends with the guy for along time. All I want to attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1383461396.911416.jpgdo is ride!!!!

Not to pile on but what you have experienced is why I will NEVER do a steel sleeve.  For the same price it costs to purchase and install a sleeve, you can have a replate done which is a ton better all around.  Steel sleeves have so many points of failure when it comes to their install, it just isn't worth the risk. 

For what it is worth, partzilla.com has the best price for a new 02 cylinder.  I didn't look at pricing on an 03 which I heard had better porting than the 02.

Edit:  Just looked the 03 cylinder is about $60 cheaper. Still cheapest via Partzilla at $320. 

Edited by frdbtr

Thats a great price on a cylinder. If you do go 2003 it has different power valve numbers so you would need the 03 power valves.

I'm not sure that's true about the power valve. I used an 04 cyl head on my 02 and everything seemed to function properly.

I'm not sure that's true about the power valve. I used an 04 cyl head on my 02 and everything seemed to function properly.

If it was just the head they do interchange from 02-04 as they're basically the same.   The 02-04 Cyl's. do have different exhaust port porting specs & require the same year powervalves for a good seal.  I've talked to a few engine tuners in the past & have been told the 03 has the best oem porting specs.  There was an mx article that came out when these bikes were new that also commented on it.  

If it was just the head they do interchange from 02-04 as they're basically the same.   The 02-04 Cyl's. do have different exhaust port porting specs & require the same year powervalves for a good seal.  I've talked to a few engine tuners in the past & have been told the 03 has the best oem porting specs.  There was an mx article that came out when these bikes were new that also commented on it.  

For what it is worth, it looks from the micro fiche that the powervalves are included with the cylinders for those years.  You might want to consult a dealer to find out for sure though.

Don't stay mad at the mechanic. It won't do any good. Order up a new cylinder and stock top end and you'll have many more years of riding. Take that old cylinder and throw it into the recycle bin and speak of it no more.

Just put it on lathe and surface it. Or go to machine shop and have them do it. Done. t

The guy who sleeved it must be a noob. Whats ur ports look like? If he didn't bother with the head then probably didn't port it either. Shouldn't see any right angles on the ports where the sleeve meets the aluminum etc... if he didn't port it I would feel like I was ripped off.

For what it is worth, it looks from the micro fiche that the powervalves are included with the cylinders for those years.  You might want to consult a dealer to find out for sure though.

As far as I know only the 02 cyl. comes with the powervalves.  If you look at the prices that's why they cost more for them in comparison vs. 03-04.   I posted the part #'s on page 2 last post. 

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1019239-04-cylinder-on-an-02/?view=findpost&p=10732529&hl=04+cr250