Sign in to follow this  

2011 kx250f. How much oil to put in?

I havn't had my 2011 kx250f for long and I recently changed the oil for the first time. The guy I bought it of wrote down all the specifics of maintaining the bike and he said to put 1 litre of oil in without changing the oil filter and 1.2 litres with an oil change. I was wondering what the kawasaki manual says to put in specifically for the 2011 model. Is it something like 800 ml or is that a different model bike I'm thinking of?

I havn't had my 2011 kx250f for long and I recently changed the oil for the first time. The guy I bought it of wrote down all the specifics of maintaining the bike and he said to put 1 litre of oil in without changing the oil filter and 1.2 litres with an oil change. I was wondering what the kawasaki manual says to put in specifically for the 2011 model. Is it something like 800 ml or is that a different model bike I'm thinking of?

I have a 2011 and my sons 12' and we run a full 1000ml. regardless if i change the filter or not. I would atleast run a quart. Which i think is .946ml. Been doing it since new

Will need to check the manual but I'm sure it only takes 800ml without filter change. 450 s take just over a liter.

If you could check the manual at some time it would be great. I just want to know the proper amount even if I run an extra 50ml or something but I don't want to be running to much more then what kawasaki recommends. Cause they did make the bike. They should know what's best for it

If you could check the manual at some time it would be great. I just want to know the proper amount even if I run an extra 50ml or something but I don't want to be running to much more then what kawasaki recommends. Cause they did make the bike. They should know what's best for it

Per manual it's .751 ml with no filter change and .801 ml with filter change.

That's interesting then. I wonder why the guy I bought it off told me to put 1 litre in. It's overfull judging by the viewing window. Should I drain some out so that it is on the upper mark on the viewing window?

In a nut shell. Back in 07' the kx250f used to take around 1300ml of oil. Sometime around 2010 or 11' they changed it to around 800ml. Dont know why. Not sure if the sump area is smaller or not. Some guys since that change where burning up clutch's faster. Some guys had no problems at all running 800ml.The 07' used to blow out the oil breather tube if you added anymore then the manual. The new bikes dont. So for me more oil is better as long it doesnt blow out the breather. Most guys on here pay no attention what so ever to that sight glass window. I never even look at mine. I put in 1000ml every oil change and change oil every 5 hrs or sooner. Then call it good

• Like 2

Manual says 0.75 litre without filter change

0.80 litre with filter change

1.0 litre completely dry

Because of the above variation i use the sight glass when i fill the oil, in most cases i would need to put in 800 ml to get the oil half way up the sight glass. What i do put in 750ml then start the bike and leave it for an hour or longer and then come back and top up if necessary with the bike standing upright.

I also check the oil in the sight glass everytime before i have started the bike before riding and top it up if need be. I have found that my bike uses a small amount of oil every ride unlike my 450 which didnt.

I know if the oil is anywhere between the 2 lines marked on the sight glass im not going to have to deal with a blown motor due to running too low on oil. 

That is just my procedure and it works for me.  

Yeah, I'm

Thinking I might be best of using the glass window lines maybe? I'll do that this afternoon. So should I drain it so it's just above the top line then run it. Leave it for an hour and see where it's at?

I would drain a bit off , then start it and run a minute or so, switch off but keep the bike upright, dont lean it over, then check the level after 5 to 10 minutes on level ground standing upright. (Should be between the lines)

Yeah it's algood now. I drained 200ml out from the litre I put in the other day and it is spot on the top mark now. I'll be putting 800ml on not. Thanks guys