XR650l in Cambodian Jungles - Dave's Mods

Greetings All, I am a missionary in Cambodia and just sold my 1986 XL600R and my XR400R which I use for mission trips into the jungles and bought a 2003 XR650L. I was pretty dissapointed as my old XL600 ran better than this. The XR650L has been desmogged, new air filter , snorkle off etc but still ran badly. Well I discovered Daves Carb Mods for this. Being in Cambodia it is very hard to find parts and it is too expensive to have them posted so I had a friend coming out from South Africa bring me the recommended jets. 55/158. Well it was with a bit of hesitancy that I started this as if it did not work I was up the creek without a paddel. Well when I finished I read and re-read the instructions just to make sure that I had done it right as it was so easy. It fired up first time and all I can say is WOW. What a difference almost as tourqey as my XR400R was. I am most impressed and grateful to Dave. Thanks Dave. (Must admit the change in sprockets also made a huge difference 48 rear and 14 front). Happy and safe riding and God Bless to all.

Greetings All, I am a missionary in Cambodia and just sold my 1986 XL600R and my XR400R which I use for mission trips into the jungles and bought a 2003 XR650L. I was pretty dissapointed as my old XL600 ran better than this. The XR650L has been desmogged, new air filter , snorkle off etc but still ran badly. Well I discovered Daves Carb Mods for this. Being in Cambodia it is very hard to find parts and it is too expensive to have them posted so I had a friend coming out from South Africa bring me the recommended jets. 55/158. Well it was with a bit of hesitancy that I started this as if it did not work I was up the creek without a paddel. Well when I finished I read and re-read the instructions just to make sure that I had done it right as it was so easy. It fired up first time and all I can say is WOW. What a difference almost as tourqey as my XR400R was. I am most impressed and grateful to Dave. Thanks Dave. (Must admit the change in sprockets also made a huge difference 48 rear and 14 front). Happy and safe riding and God Bless to all.

Cool, great to hear you got it working as it should. :thumbsup:

Good for you, Dave.   :thumbsup:   I also suggest you inspect the counter shaft splines for wear.  You might not have a worn counter shaft if your XR650L was primarily ridden off pavement.  However, if the C/S splines have started to wear, I suggest you switch to a wider C/S sprocket designed for the XR650R dirt bike. ;)

Spud :)

You must be king of the jungle on a 650.  When I was there, the locals were on ~100cc bikes and the expats were on 250s.

A tuk-tuk built around an XR650 would be great.

Good for you, Dave.   :thumbsup:   I also suggest you inspect the counter shaft splines for wear.  You might not have a worn counter shaft if your XR650L was primarily ridden off pavement.  However, if the C/S splines have started to wear, I suggest you switch to a wider C/S sprocket designed for the XR650R dirt bike. ;)

Hey Spud, Done that already. Thanks for the advice. I have been reading a number of your mods with interest. Especially your oil cooler mod. Obviously it is very hot here in Cambodia. I have managed to get hold of an old XR250 oil cooler. Will it work or should I hold out for an XR 400 one?

Hey Spud, Done that already. Thanks for the advice. I have been reading a number of your mods with interest. Especially your oil cooler mod. Obviously it is very hot here in Cambodia. I have managed to get hold of an old XR250 oil cooler. Will it work or should I hold out for an XR 400 one?

By they way how is your oil cooler working? Been trying to find a cooler like yours here :( no luck.

Althought the XR400 oil cooler is larger, the XR250 oil cooler will definitely help.  However, the plumbing and routing of the oil lines can complicate the installation of either of these oil coolers.

By they way how is your oil cooler working? Been trying to find a cooler like yours here :( no luck.

My oil cooler installation is working well. :)  I happen to have a new, spare oil cooler still in the shipping box.  I wonder how much it would cost to ship it to you in Cambodia?  You would also need aluminum stock, oil hose, cable clamps, and bent tubing or barbed hose elbows. ;)

My oil cooler installation is working well. :)  I happen to have a new, spare oil cooler still in the shipping box.  I wonder how much it would cost to ship it to you in Cambodia?  You would also need aluminum stock, oil hose, cable clamps, and bent tubing or barbed hose elbows. ;)

Do you have an e mail address?

Do you have an e mail address?

I answered your personal message, Dave. :)