Sign in to follow this  

stupid CC question

so me and my friends were talking and none of us seem to know the correct answer..

how do get more CC's out of an engine?

what engine upgrades, increase your cc's?

my friend believed its only the big bore that can change cc..i dont think thats right though, because why whould people say they have 60ish hp 485cc drz's,  when they a built motor with a big bore kit that only is a 434cc??

any help or info, just a quick breakdown of how motors gain more CC's..

Bore width and stroke length will both have an effect on cubic capacity, that's why a "stroker" will increase your capacity.

The 434cc claim form Cylinder Works assumes a standard stroke length.

Edited by Nellisvan

Increasing the bore as you stated with the 434 kit, or increasing the stroke with an aftetmarket crankshaft. Depending on the size of these it will give you different numbers. 94mm vs 95mm bore, ect.

Bigger bore or more stroke can create more volume/displacement (more cc's) Most big bore kits for the drz are +4 which makes it 434cc. Add a stroker crank and you get more displacement then as well, which is how people are getting up to 485cc, I think most stroker cranks are +4 or +5.

so ONLY bore, and stroke determine your overall CC's...NO ohter mods like cams, or oversized valves increase cc's?

so ONLY bore, and stroke determine your overall CC's...NO ohter mods like cams, or oversized valves increase cc's?

Displacement is a measure of volume.  Think of it like a glass, make the glass larger around = more volume, make the glass taller = more volume, make the glass larger around and taller and you get even more volume.  What kind of lid you put on the glass doesn't have any effect. 

• Like 2

It's a good question. I ran into a guy at Sonoma Raceway with a yellow DRZ and he said it was a 450cc. He said he had the head custom ported and +5 on the bore. I don't think he had the top end though with a hacked carb off a Honda dirtbike and I can't remember the pipe.

It's a good question. I ran into a guy at Sonoma Raceway with a yellow DRZ and he said it was a 450cc. He said he had the head custom ported and +5 on the bore. I don't think he had the top end though with a hacked carb off a Honda dirtbike and I can't remember the pipe.

Yoshimura has a 450 kit.

They also make a tricked out Drz , YOSHIMURA M450R

• Like 2

Yoshimura has a 450 kit.

Like anything that Yoshimura does, it's expensive.......well done, but expensive.

• Like 1

Yoshimura has a 450 kit.

Like anything that Yoshimura does, it's expensive.......well done, but expensive.

The Yoshimura kit is a +2mm bore and a +5mm stroker crank...

It uses a 2 ring piston made by JE, friction is reduced but piston replacement is more frequent due to the shorter skirt area

And yes very expensive...

92mmpiston.jpg

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 2

It's a nice lookin' slug ...... M8

Why Thank You M8....

That's similar to the piston I used in my ol 485....it's a real short skirted piston, here for a good time, not a long time....LOL

I would be changing the piston in that bitch every 10,000 kms...

Yeah , best to source quality parts and save $ and have the same or better performance .

That's where Eddie came in, fantastic technician and knew a great deal about the DRZ, but somehow got waylayed with his merger with Epic. Unfortunately from the many posts still popping up, he is still trying to figure it out.  :(

That's where Eddie came in, fantastic technician and knew a great deal about the DRZ, but somehow got waylayed with his merger with Epic. Unfortunately from the many posts still popping up, he is still trying to figure it out.  :(

It's all good and fine to have increased displacement, but how you work with the given capacity is an art...

Eddie has mastered what works and what doesn't with a DRZ and many other bikes as well.... 

Like I have seen smaller (in comparison) engined bikes with similar cylinder configuration whip the butt of larger cc bikes in a straight line...tuning the cc's correctly with the right parts can provide surprising results....

eg/The 485 I had would easily stay with KTM690 in acceleration runs....

Anyway, as they say, "You can't keep a good man down", Eddie will be back ...... :thumbsup:

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 1

It's all good and fine to have increased displacement, but how you work with the given capacity is an art...

Eddie has mastered what works and what doesn't with a DRZ and many other bikes as well.... 

Like I have seen smaller (in comparison) engined bikes with similar cylinder configuration whip the butt of larger cc bikes in a straight line...tuning the cc's correctly with the right parts can provide surprising results....

eg/The 485 I had would easily stay with KTM690 in acceleration runs....

Anyway, as they say, "You can't keep a good man down", Eddie will be back ...... :thumbsup:

have you seen any of these kits or heard of these people?

they got 522 stroker/bb kit, tht require case mods.and theyll install for $500

(the $10,000 drz on cragslist, that somebody posted on TT making fun of the guy for his high price..his bike has the red ice cube http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/4159403892.html)

they install there bb kits for $300.. 

i just thought it was odd that you only see CW&athena, and out of no where i find these huge ice cube motors.. are the ice cubes not reliable as say your stroker 485 or radtech's build he did..??

if you go through there is a lot of detail in the descriptions of each kit available

http://www.maxrpms.com/category/motorcycle-kits/suzuki/drz400/

Edited by 707LAKE

Ice cube is good , and expensive....

As mentioned in my above post it's ok to have the big cc's....

but you have to cam and feed them correctly is achieve maximum gains

it would be interesting to see how those craiglist bikes shape up on the dyno....

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 1

Ice cube is good , and expensive....

As mentioned in my above post it's ok to have the big cc's....

but you have to cam and feed them correctly is achieve maximum gains

it would be interesting to see how those craiglist bikes shape up on the dyno....

it says he dynoed it at a shop i now of Mammoth Motorsports.. im pretty sure they dont have the best local reviews,, 

im going to text him n ask him what it dynoed at