wind in helmet...

so i just bought a new full face helmet with a visor but since im not wearing goggles the wind is blowing in my eyes still. Im used to wearing goggles and my mx helmet. if i cover up the space between the helmet and my chin with my hand then the wind goes away. i know they make helmet skirts but do they work? what else is there? 

Edited by jawknee21

My boss rides with a neck gator. Blocks the wind from entering his jacket and helmet. It's thick enough to block the opening in the bottom of the helmet.

i was thinking about that. but i dont wear my fleece or anything yet though. ill try it tomorrow. i need gore tex. the whole point of this helmet is so i  can ride if it rains. otherwise i can wear my balaclava and keep  my mx helmet. i thought it wasnt supposed to get cold out here...

My visor isn't tinted so I wear sunglasses if I'm riding during the day and that keeps the wind out of my eyes. If I'm riding when it's really cloudy or at night I can't wear sunglasses so I just deal with it, but that kinda sucks.

so im not alone with this wind thing. its not THAT bad but its just bad enough to be annoying. especially when im used to NO air on my eyes. the helmet i bought has one of those slide down tint things on the inside. its weird but i figure im going to have to get used to it pretty soon anyway...

Which helmet did you buy?

Check the seal between the visor and the helmet. You should have a nice rubber seal which needs to be treated every so often. Check the fit and finish of the visor. You should have adjustable sliders which anchor the visor to the helmet on the sides. I've had to make minor adjustments when replacing shields, even if they are identical, there are imperfections. Air can come down from above the visor if that gap is too big. After a while the most quiet full face helmet can get noisy from the cheek pads wearing out. As you described, the air comes up under the chin and around the neck. I have a Shoei X-11 (retailed for $700 new). It is a well ventilated helmet, but I've never noticed anything bothering my eyes unless the visor had a poor fit.

Check the seal between the visor and the helmet. You should have a nice rubber seal which needs to be treated every so often. Check the fit and finish of the visor. You should have adjustable sliders which anchor the visor to the helmet on the sides. I've had to make minor adjustments when replacing shields, even if they are identical, there are imperfections. Air can come down from above the visor if that gap is too big. After a while the most quiet full face helmet can get noisy from the cheek pads wearing out. As you described, the air comes up under the chin and around the neck. I have a Shoei X-11 (retailed for $700 new). It is a well ventilated helmet, but I've never noticed anything bothering my eyes unless the visor had a poor fit.

its the fulmer af6b. i'll check that. i havent messed with it. i just rode today for like 25 mins total. not excited about it. maybe i'll get used to it...

AF_6B0_FLAT_BLACK_015.jpg

+1

I have a Shoei RF-1000 and I don't get any wind blowing in my face.

If you still get wind in your eyes with the visor down you have a serious issue.  I can ride with just the inner visor down on either of my helmets and it's not issue.  I certainly don't get any with the outer visor down.

ill probably try calling fulmer if i get off early enough. i just know if i put my hand under my chin the wind stops...

Get a chin skirt for your helmet. 

The manufacturer should make one or just stuff a different one in.

They work well but it makes it a pain to put on your helmet.

Alternatively, lots of guys I ride with use clear safety glasses under their helmet. Cuts down on the wind and is still safe to ride with the visor up.

buy a good helmet.  cheaper noe are weak in a lot of way.

weight, sound, wind..etc.

I had a fulmer as my first helmet 14years ago....a real POS!! 

Get a HJC  if you don't want to spend too much.  way better the the crappy 100$ and less helmet.

I know that I never noticed any wind when I would ride my street bike, but the same helmet on my dirt ride would feel just like an open face...

I was finally able to figure out that the wind hitting my chest was blowing straight up...same as what you are experiencing.

the neck gaiter or chin shroud are great solutions, but you could also look at what the windshield, if you have one, is doing.

Look up laminar wings, they are very trick and it doesn't have to be a sail to work.

Best of luck.

so i just bought a new full face helmet with a visor but since im not wearing goggles the wind is blowing in my eyes still. Im used to wearing goggles and my mx helmet. if i cover up the space between the helmet and my chin with my hand then the wind goes away. i know they make helmet skirts but do they work? what else is there?

Skirts work for wind noise, at least for Scorpion Exo 400 and 500 series. They made an appreciable difference. For thermal protection against the cold though, a balaclava with long neck piece tucked into a thick riding jacket is the way to go.

Just my .02. When changing visors keep fasteners loose. Close and wiggle a little, check seal, tighten fasteners. Chin skirts work well, are a hassle getting helmet on and off. Built in snot wipe... I use Buff Headgear under my lid in winter.

Edited by olyridz
  • Like 1

I use a clear shield on my Shoei Hornet dual sport helmet so I wear sunglasses.  Looking straight ahead I have no problem with the wind but when I turn my head to look at scenery I get bad wind in my eyes.  Bad enough that my eyes will tear up and blur my vision.  Different glasses make no difference, the bike and helmet combination is just terrible when I turn my head.  In the colder temps I run the chin guard that came with the helmet and that takes care of the problem, but I can't use it in the hot weather and it's a pain in the butt putting on the helmet and taking it off.