Sign in to follow this  

Is there a secret to mud jumping?

Hadn't thought of it in this particular instance. And I fully understand the basis of scrubbing and absorbing a jump.

Your suspension loads up on the take off and then rebounds, causing the bike to be launched higher and farther because of the rebounded energy.

If you absorb the suspension rebound with your arms and legs, it virtually eliminates the rebound, which causes less height and distance. Another name for this technique is low jumping and i believe McGrath was one of the first to incorporate this technique into his riding.

Scrubbing is the same principle, just acted out in a different way. Through leaning the bike over, but is a more difficult task for beginners. Plus it adds "style" to your jump.

Not to lecture, just to prove a point.

FYI. The first time I heard of soaking up jumps was in a book on the "new sport of motocross" back in 1978. I think the book was printed in about

1971. lol

You asked earlier how to slow down and not over jump without using brakes, I said learn to absorb with your knees. You then stated we made a good point..... You should have known that though, we shouldn't have needed to even suggest it.

So with that now said, I ask is how would you even begin to know how to scrub, if you don't even know how to absorb the face of a jump? I guess, the answer would be is "I don't really know how to scrub but I think I do".

Learning how to absorb bumps/jump faces with your knees was invented right after the first dirtbike was invented...

Honestly, I think you should take a few riding schools and maybe relearn a few things. I get this feeling your trying to run and yet you have never learned to crawl properly....

I'm not trying be a &%$#@! or anything but stop flaming people even if you think they have no idea about what they are talking about. Believe me I understand where you are coming from. I ask dumb questions from time to time, and you just happen to see them and say stuff that kinda makes me want to not be part of this forum anymore.

I'm not trying be a &%$#@! or anything but stop flaming people even if you think they have no idea about what they are talking about. Believe me I understand where you are coming from. I ask dumb questions from time to time, and you just happen to see them and say stuff that kinda makes me want to not be part of this forum anymore.

What, you're upset because I point out something that might be more important? I don't see any flaming either.....The guy was asking about riding in mud and clearly made a mistake in trying to scrub a jump when he maybe shouldn't have....I directed him in what I would do! Does it make it right, maybe not or maybe so.... If he chooses to take my advice that's his choice but clearly what he is doing now might not have been working in the past.

What I can promise you though is I'm a pretty decent rider. I can't whip, scrub or even jump worth shit but, I will beat most of the same people in my class when it comes to everywhere else on the track. Because I never learned to jump with style I became excellent in extremely rough conditions and became very good at cornering. The same guys that would whip beside me on a jump would roll 2nd gear through the next corner while I could hold it on....I could also go in deeper and get on the throttle sooner and I was excellent at conserving energy, hence where my sit down riding style came to be an advantage.

That being said, if you don't like what I wrote you can either A.) Don't read it B.) Block me...or C.) Quit TT.....

Or continue to think I'm a &%$#@! and in that case you wouldn't be the first.....

• Like 1