Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha DT200 2 Stroke Expansion Chamber mod, How-To video

These pipes are pretty chocked up and quiet, this mod fixes that and improves sound.

USA didn't get these bikes, but they are closely related to the WR200.

This video includes everything you need to know.

Hopefully some of you find this video i put together interesting, cheers and thanks for looking!

Nice "how to vid"!!! Did you gain any performance?

Thanks, yeah i think i did from the limited amount of time I've had on the bike so far it does feel like it revs up a fair bit quicker.

As for exact power, we'll never know! :thumbsup:

You guys down under always seem to get the better bikes.  Yamaha (or the other factories for that matter) never send any of those bikes our way.

You guys down under always seem to get the better bikes.  Yamaha (or the other factories for that matter) never send any of those bikes our way.

If only Yamaha would make a brand new version of this bike they'd sell a packet of them!

Unfortunately, we only get 2 options, WR250F or WR450F!

If only Yamaha would make a brand new version of this bike they'd sell a packet of them!

Unfortunately, we only get 2 options, WR250F or WR450F!

Yup X2 on above but also include the YZ125/250. I sure wish Yamaha would bring us a nice woods bike. A tamed down YZ250 with some serious bottom end grunt. Say a WR200 / WR250 two stroke with a heavy flywheel. I dont care if i can only run 60mph in top gear. I need a nice light single track woods bike that does not have a sudden power hit. I am seriously thinking of doing a hybrid with a IT200 engine. I may even stroke the engine for more bottom end power. The only problem is having a pipe built for it that would fit the newer chassis.

I personally wished Yamaha would have brought over the DT230 with electric start.

Edited by Zrt1200
  • Like 1

Yup X2 on above but also include the YZ125/250. I sure wish Yamaha would bring us a nice woods bike. A tamed down YZ250 with some serious bottom end grunt. Say a WR200 / WR250 two stroke with a heavy flywheel. I dont care if i can only run 60mph in top gear. I need a nice light single track woods bike that does not have a sudden power hit. I am seriously thinking of doing a hybrid with a IT200 engine. I may even stroke the engine for more bottom end power. The only problem is having a pipe built for it that would fit the newer chassis.

I personally wished Yamaha would have brought over the DT230 with electric start.

The DT230 was getting pretty heavy by then, would not be that expensive to import the DT230 engine and put it in a WR200 frame?

Sometimes you just need to build things yourself if no one makes them..

One day i may see whats involved in turning my motor into a 230, i wonder if i can just bolt the bore on, or if there is more to it.

You can chop and fabricate or simply buy a KTM 200EXC or GasGas 200EC. Both great scoots!

My brother had the KTM 200 and i personally didn't like riding it, it was a bit full-on power wise, also the ergonomics are very alien to people like me that like jap bikes.

I would like to have a ride of the GasGas though..

The DT230 was getting pretty heavy by then, would not be that expensive to import the DT230 engine and put it in a WR200 frame?

Sometimes you just need to build things yourself if no one makes them..

One day i may see whats involved in turning my motor into a 230, i wonder if i can just bolt the bore on, or if there is more to it.

I agree the DT230 is heavy and it would need to be put in a different chassis. The electric start would be pretty cool IMO and the older I get the less my hip likes kicking a bike. lol

You can chop and fabricate or simply buy a KTM 200EXC or GasGas 200EC. Both great scoots!

I am a CNC machinist by trade and I have been tossing around the idea of fabricating a new side cover and install a electric start. I have a IT200 motor tore down right now that I am considering stroking and if I am going to put a electric start on it now's the time as i am done riding until it get warm again next spring. But on the same toking a DT230 engine imported may be the best option. It has power valves and electric start. As far as chassis goes I would need to find a 98 or newer YZ125 chassis to install it in but it would be a great woods bike IMO. Light with bottom end power and electric start. Now if I an get the seat height down to 36" it would be almost a dream bike. As far as a Gas Gas. I have never rode one so???

Edited by Zrt1200

Now if I an get the seat height down to 36" it would be almost a dream bike. As far as a Gas Gas. I have never rode one so???

The GasGas is a little smaller ergonomically - pretty sure a 36.5-37" seat height. My 2004 250EC has a very linear power band without MX bike type hit. The 2000 KTM 200EXC that I had was tuned more for hit and in the top end would hit hard - completely tunable from what I hear though. 

I'm not a total Euro bike fan by any means. Still have a KX250 and plan to keep it that way. There's just other bikes out there. The Japanese would destroy off road bike competition if they simply made one (besides WR-F and CRF-X). 

Edited by shrubitup

The GasGas is a little smaller ergonomically - pretty sure a 36.5-37" seat height. My 2004 250EC has a very linear power band without MX bike type hit. The 2000 KTM 200EXC that I had was tuned more for hit and in the top end would hit hard - completely tunable from what I hear though. 

I'm not a total Euro bike fan by any means. Still have a KX250 and plan to keep it that way. There's just other bikes out there. The Japanese would destroy off road bike competition if they simply made one (besides WR-F and CRF-X). 

I agree big time!! :thumbsup:

I remember Kawasaki race bulletin that came into the shop that had the same procedure for more power for the 1980 kx80,i remember it disappeared,figure my father didn't want me screwing it up an needing a new pipe,lol

I looked up the Gas Gas Enduro bikes. You are correct with a 37" high seat height but I would not consider there bikes light at 233lbs with out electric start. With it it was 7lbs extra which is not bad for electric start but it brought it to 240lbs. To me thats about 20 to 30lbs heavier than they should be for a nice trail bike. Ya I know I want my cake and be able to eat it to. LOL

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of the IT200 stroker engine in a YZ125 chassis. With a stroker and some light porting I figure I could get about 30 rwhp in a light weight bike around 200-205lbs.

• Like 1

ya, they're not welter weight bikes. I fancy a 2006+ YZ144 or maybe a Husky CR165 someday if I need to chase after light weight. 

I would go for either of those bikes if they had some bottom end grunt at all and only ran about 8500 Rpm's. My other option is either find a YZ250 and put a pipe and flywheel weight on it or 98 KX250 sense it already has a ton of bottom end power. That is if I can find a un-molested one??

I noticed the Gas Gas's use a perimeter frame like the KX's use as well. Its funny that not many other manufactures use that style of frame. My older brother is a recently retired bike mechanic and he has been to the big 4 japs school so many times he got frequent flyer miles. Anyways he say's the perimeter frame did to the front end what the mono shock did to the rear end. IMO that is saying some thing about the perimeter frame.

Edited by Zrt1200

I would go for either of those bikes if they had some bottom end grunt at all and only ran about 8500 Rpm's. My other option is either find a YZ250 and put a pipe and flywheel weight on it or 98 KX250 sense it already has a ton of bottom end power. That is if I can find a un-molested one??

Another low end monster is the 2004 kx250. Regret selling it but my 2006 is that and more with better brakes and handling and suspension. Motor is not smooth like 2004 however - the 2006 is a mx motor to the core. Add the 2004 to your list. 2003 is similar - just add a spacer to the power valve mechanism.

Another low end monster is the 2004 kx250. Regret selling it but my 2006 is that and more with better brakes and handling and suspension. Motor is not smooth like 2004 however - the 2006 is a mx motor to the core. Add the 2004 to your list. 2003 is similar - just add a spacer to the power valve mechanism.

Thanks for the tip. I will add the 04 to my list.