Sign in to follow this  

Off-Road Head-On. Who's fault?

The guy on the white KDX should have been on the right side of the trail instead of in the middle, especially around a blind turn. I have nitemares about this happening to me.

• Like 3

Looks to me like the Yamaheehaw guy couldn't hold his line and fell, making it impossible for the guy on the white bike to escape. I've been tboned on the trail, but never a head-on (knock on wood).

When I ride with a group, "Who's wants to lead?" (I'm silent). :devil:  I LOVE one way trails, or at least the idea of one way trails. :thinking: Hope all involved are doing well. :ride:

• Like 5

^^^^+1, I always want to ride sweep, leading on 2 way trails stinks. In fact I think the idea of 2 way trails is nuts, keeps me from trail riding as much as I'd like.

Looks to me like the Yamaheehaw guy couldn't hold his line and fell, making it impossible for the guy on the white bike to escape. I've been tboned on the trail, but never a head-on (knock on wood).

When I ride with a group, "Who's wants to lead?" (I'm silent). :devil:  I LOVE one way trails, or at least the idea of one way trails. :thinking: Hope all involved are doing well. :ride:

If ya ride a lot, your day will most likely come...I was out for 6 weeks this past spring due to a broken foot sustained in a head-on with 16yr old girl. She broke both bones in her forearm.  Sucks donut.

It looks to me like Yamaha target fixated. 

I cam fairly close on October 10th. The guy coming the other way is state champ fast. I was fortunate to have seen him in time to dive for cover. It's right at the end of the vid.

Edited by shagger
  • Like 2

Being lead dog is always sketchy on a lot of trails in Rampart. You always think you are going too slow for the people behind you, yet you don't want to go too fast simply because of crashes. I have seen plenty out there and have helped airlift a couple, ambulance ride a couple others. Any more I try to go early or weekdays out there. And just trail ride, enjoy the scenery. Not trying to get any fast lap times out there, that's for a track rider.

KDX was riding in the middle a bit but the Yamaha freaked out and layed his bike down.  Both had a hand in this one.  Glad they are ok..or seem to be.

• Like 1

Both were at fault. You have to expect that someone will be coming the other way at all times

I watched a guy die in Dove Springs 20 years ago. 2 large groups were blowing down a blind corner in a sand wash and 3 bikes collided at a pretty serious speed.

If ya ride a lot, your day will most likely come...I was out for 6 weeks this past spring due to a broken foot sustained in a head-on with 16yr old girl. She broke both bones in her forearm.  Sucks donut.

Hey Brett

Where did you do that?

That is the reason I carry liability insurance on my bike. Most of what I ride is one way trails and I like it that way.  However, there may be someone going the wrong way on the trail and it has happened a couple times with me without incident, fortunately. I was riding at Rampart with a buddy about a 6 months ago and he almost had a head on. His front wheel wound up stuck between the 2 wheels of the on coming bike. I was in Moab back in May, riding by myself and while riding in the fast sand areas I would hug the right side on the turns. A group of bikes hauling it came through and I managed to get stopped to the far right side of a corner before almost getting hit by a couple of them. The last one came blasting through and we whacked bark busters pretty hard. He was all the way over on his left on a blind corner. Don't understand that thinking on a two way trail. My biggest fear was a side by side or quad coming around a corner fast. When I was a teenager I got in a head on with an ATC on a trail. Destroyed my fender and my knee hurt for a couple weeks. 

Had my first head on one year ago, scariest thing that's ever happened to me. Ended up with a huge hematoma in my gut where my bars hit me as I went over the bars when my bike stopped instantly as I hit the other bike. No fun at all. I always ride spooked now, around every blind corner.

I don't know. The more I look at it. The more I think Yamaha target fixated and panicked.

If you watch it a bunch of times you can see that there isn't much of a corner there and Yamaha was in the main motorcycle line on the trail, you can see that it well worn and fairly deep. But the instant he sees Camera. He's riding straight at him and locking up the front tire. Camera was making evasive maneuvers when hit.

I took a screen shot of a fairly critical frame. Note camera banking for the rhubarb while Yamaha is Kamikaze with the front tire locked up. 

Screenshot_5.jpg

• Like 2

its trail riding, its not anyones fault. Ride a trail, assume the risk. Some people want to go fast... you cant stop them.

• Like 2

Where I ride there is a section like this and I try my best to listen /look at  dust for on coming

it's virtual impossible to stay on one side of the trail with ruts and sand  the bike tells you where it's going

those sections  I am not going fast while fighting sand   so it's the 4 wheelers that worry me the most

that was a crazy video but I think at the point of impact the GO Pro rider was less at fault

Sure. But one must learn from their mistakes. Yamaha needs to learn how not to target fixate. 

I have a friend who does that. He hit me once. He totaled his low hour CR500 and destroyed my pipe. We both made it back to the truck.

About a year later he clocked another guy. I see him coming and I head for the fricken trees. :)

• Like 1