Sign in to follow this  

hey everyone, i am a pretty new rider, im 6'2 260lbs, i just started 3 years ago. i am 22 and i started on a 1995 xr250 and now i have a 2005 crf 450r. i wanted to see what other people thought about what bikes are better for guys my size. also what kinda parts should i get for my bike. and finally is there any special riding styles or technic i should try to focus on?

6.3 rear, .54 front

Once you change the springs, the rebound damping won't be able to keep up, no matter how you adjust them.

You'll need to get a re-valve front and rear, and you should do it while the forks are a apart.

Im taking to a suspension guy so I hope he knows all that. Would it help to get bar risers or the taller bars. Herd mixed on both. And is there certin riding I should do different that small average guys. Or just go for it

Im taking to a suspension guy so I hope he knows all that. Would it help to get bar risers or the taller bars. Herd mixed on both. And is there certin riding I should do different that small average guys. Or just go for it

Here's my standard set up, for any bike I own:

Re-spring and Re-valve front and rear

CRHigh or KX high bend bars

BRP Submount bar riser (also for the scotts damper)

Fastway low boy pegs

Guts racing tall/firm seat

- depending on the bike (450R) I go another 1.5" taller with custom foam added to the tall foam

Then because I too am 'big', I port and polish the head for a much wider/stronger power band.

I also usually add an oversize front disc. Don't need it on the R.

• Like 1

Bar riders come back at you making the bars closer to the pegs.

No good.

Try and find a fly racing upper clamp it lets you move the bars forwards and back 1.25" in .125" incerments. Makes room for big guys with daddy long legs arms.

Also lowered peg brackets and tall seat foam would make you feel right at home.

• Like 1

Im 6'4 and I have been liking the renthal fat bars in the RC high bend  (they look kinda goofy but....way more comfortable in the standing position) with the PC mounts that move the bars forward 5mm.

Thanks form all the help guys. I'll look into all bars and mounts and seems like lowered pegs and higher seat are the way to go. Is all this gonna cost an arm and leg?

Thanks form all the help guys. I'll look into all bars and mounts and seems like lowered pegs and higher seat are the way to go. Is all this gonna cost an arm and leg?

No, just a fore arm and a calf.

http://www.systemtechracing.com/STR_Foot_Peg_Lowering_Kits_s/38.htm

A hundo for the dropped pegs.

if you can find the fly adjustable clamps

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m8LlTdwjwRT7y9jEx25A8ig.jpg

There 100-150

Looks like seat foam is 60

Seat cover 40 for a sheet of fx gripper material

Although I reccomend ceet brand Idk the price.

Or a trick pleated seat cover is 60-80 dollars.

So your only talking 4 hundred?

That's 600 for tires and beer!

Or tires and stiffer fork springs and shock spring and a revalve for your skill and conditions (lighter comp dampening and stiffer rebound for your big man springs)

Honestly at 6'2" you should be ok with stock height bars and seat. Try out the stock stuff for a bit, I see a lot of newer guys not stand right and it makes them think they need risers and all this other stuff. Focus on a good attack position and maybe you won't be worried about the height. Maybe it will be OK.

All the guys I go with say I have good stans but I'm to hunched over cuz the bars are to short. That's why I was looking into bar risers or new bars. Figured I give this a shot and its worked out great

Im 6'2 230 and Ive always loved my CRF's in stock form. I think it could all depend on how you are tall. Me, Im short legged with a tall torso.

When you stand you shouldn't hunch your back to reach the bars. Your legs should bend to close the distance. Standing on your toes will make everything feel more natural also. Pushing your chest out will help keep your elbows up. It's amazing how it all works together. I've just seen so many newer riders throw money at something instead of working on their form. It ends up really hurting them farther down the road.

450 R good choice. Tall seat Guts racing. push those bars forward. You need to stand anyway. track or trail rider ? there will be the big dif in set up. I'm 44 years old young pup old f?><"":k so I say Rekluse, Rekluse, Rekluse.

at 260, you really need to spend your $$ on suspension.  i'm 215 lbs, and won't ride a bike in the desert without getting heavier springs and a revalve.  it's the best money you can spend on your bike.

then i would start by getting taller bars.  if that doesn't help more, then go with risers and drop the pegs, and raise the seat.  i'm 6'0, and the stock ergos are good for me.  a new set of bars is a cheap experiment.