Sign in to follow this  

Georgia Durhamtown noob!

Hey southeast fellas. We Michigan riders are lookin for a mid-late winter getaway Plus, all we usually get to see is sand! So time to check out some legit clay. Anyhow, just lookin for any pointers to the plantation? I don't know what exactly...maybe do's, don'ts, how sweet it is, etc, lol. For example, is it all private and therefore we wouldnt need any special stickers or anything for Georgia? Also, which tracks to ride? I mean we plan to ride mon-thur...so im sure we could squeeze quite a bit in, but what are like the you MUST do tracks/trails. None of us are A riders, but all capable riders who can ride any track (albeit not some of the jumps probably). Anyhow, thanks for tips, advice, etc for that place!

Also related. What tires you guys usually run down there? All I ever run is soft terrain sheit! Not sure if ill bother to make a change, though it will probably take some life away from my Michelin S12s, but in case anyone else wants to buy a set to go down there!

Edited by J_WR2fitty

Been to Durhamtown about 7 times and going back this Dec 28 till jan 6th

All the land is private so you just have to pay your day fee and your good to go,

There are a ton of trails that are one way so thats cool and safe.

Also they have a GP track (kids and my wife love this)

They have about 6 motocross tracks there are like 3 that you need to ride the trails to get to.

The ones upfront are like the Big-Buck it has some nice big air and the Bomber Track I like this one the best.

They have a proshop on site that has all you would need for riding.

We take our toyhauler up and camp makes for a fun trip and great ridding.

We get gas in town befor we get there I think gas at the track is like 1.50 more per gal.

Also we shop intown at Ingles market for food and such.

Its such a great place to ride and kick back.

Also we go over to the Lodge on sat nights to watch the supercross and eat fun time for all.

Have a great time and be safe.

Ron.

And also the ride fee is lke 25 or 20 per day but you get 5.00 back in a coupon that you can spend at the proshop.

We have at lest $ 65-75 to spend per trip. I just let the kids buy what they want LOL.

Edited by Ron731

If you are comming this far you might as well hit monster mountain in alabama. One of the sickest tracks around.

They switch to winter schedule in Dec so they are open everyday of the week!

Bremen is really good too. Its next to the ga/al border off hwy 20

Edited by charper
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the tips. And maybe we could do the alabama thing if its not too far, probably wait on decisions like that until i know who and how many people etc. So far we have a lot invited, only 3 "going" on facebook haha.

Do you guys think a soft terrain tire like an s12 would be decent there? Im not crazy fast anyhow haha. But, dont really wanna buy a set i wont use here in our sand for four days of riding.

I run the s12s here in fla and when we go there I just keep them on.

I am not that fast to make a diff for me.

If you are comming this far you might as well hit monster mountain in alabama. One of the sickest tracks around. They switch to winter schedule in Dec so they are open everyday of the week! Bremen is really good too. Its next to the ga/al border off hwy 20

Yea that place is great to ride.

We where there a few years back and me my wife and the kids rode there had a blast.

We camped there and after the sat practice was over the owner let us ride the track for a few more hours all by ourselfs had a great time and would love to go back soon.

2v820qq.jpg

2mxib2r.jpg

Edited by Ron731

Do NOT run soft tires. You will end up with nobs ripped off the edge.

Personally, I run MX51s on clay. That seems to be the tire or choice down here anyway.

Ok thanks, i actually saved the mx51s the prev owner had on my bike when i switched to s12s. I think they are about 70% tread left. There is a minor tear on the bead of the rear but its not through the bead to the edge that meets the wheel, its like just the tube side egde. May mount it up and see how it is, if it fails i suppose id be changin a tire there. Again a very small tear.

You may want to also stop at Highland Park, lots of trails from easy to sick (specially winter time if it's a tad moist). Surely one of the Wankers would chime in also about this.

DonO

• Like 1

Haha ^agree. There is A LOT of riding to be done there. Trails and MX. Plus they have areas for camping.

Bremen mx is just a little south of there.

Honestly, if you're more into woods riding and super nice trails from beginner to 6 diamond, highland park is the place.

He also has a track that is insanely nice. HP has cabins and hotels near by in town.

Given the choice, HP every time. I've used my S12 tires up there and they were fine, the rocks can and will rip a knob off

Here and there. Both sites are pretty cool though.

Edited by XCDave

Don't get stuck in one area, check the whole place out. Best to find someone willing to give you the nickel tour if possible..... ENJOY!!

I planned to pull my rear anyhow to flip it for next year, so its comin off anyhow.

Damn you! Quit bringing this joint up! I have been dreaming about it since you mentioned it to me last week! Lol

Damn you! Quit bringing this joint up! I have been dreaming about it since you mentioned it to me last week! Lol

LOL...well its an open invite! Biggest thing is having room so no one has to fly solo/ stay solo at the cabins, etc. We have 4-6 goin so far.

Honestly, if you're more into woods riding and super nice trails from beginner to 6 diamond, highland park is the place.

He also has a track that is insanely nice. HP has cabins and hotels near by in town.

Given the choice, HP every time. I've used my S12 tires up there and they were fine, the rocks can and will rip a knob off

Here and there. Both sites are pretty cool though.

Thanks, I am a "tweener" lol. I like trails, but i also like tracks a lot since i got back into MX a lot more this season. However, I also have some in my group more into trails. Then, some in my group are also 95% MX guys. SO we figured itd be a good mix of both. Personally. We have some trails here I love. I will probably spend a good chunk of my time checkin out the mx tracks. Beauty of a good size group is someone will have someone who wants to do what theyre thinkin at least.

LOL...well its an open invite! Biggest thing is having room so no one has to fly solo/ stay solo at the cabins, etc. We have 4-6 goin so far.

I'd love to go but that whole upcoming wedding thing will probably hamper that...got a couple buds going in February too...I'm gonna try and plan a trip down early fall next year though