Sign in to follow this  

Choke question

The easiest way to tell is when the bike is running, when you pull the choke in the bike should idle higher. When the choke is let out it should idle down.

The easiest way to tell is when the bike is running, when you pull the choke in the bike should idle higher. When the choke is let out it should idle down.

Or sometimes the bike may sputter and die, or come close to it, due to overly-rich condition particularly when fully warm.

Check the cable to see if its pulling on the choke (enrichment) plunger.  Be careful at the carb because that little nut fitting is plastic and breaks easy.  Read up on it.

When was the last time it ran?  What's happened in the meantime?  Strong spark at the plug?  Fresh fuel?  Fuel through the carb to the cylinder?  Tell us more and maybe we can get you going in a better direction.

Edited by IDRIDR

Sounds like your jets are clogged. Pull the bowl off of the carb and there should be 2 jets. A small long skinny one. (The primary), and a short round fat one with a bigger hole (the main) the primary jet cloggs very easy and is used when at idle only, with the choke off. The main is used when you twist the throttle, or when the choke is on. (Basically when you need more gas) it sounds like if it's not running, and spark/timing isn't the issue, it's these jets. $40 fix if that's all

• Like 1

Sadly I cant get it running and I'm thinking that might be one of the issues

Spray a little starting fluid in the air filter while your cranking it or just before and if it starts and dies right after, then you idle jet is probably clogged.

Sounds like your jets are clogged. Pull the bowl off of the carb and there should be 2 jets. A small long skinny one. (The primary), and a short round fat one with a bigger hole (the main) the primary jet cloggs very easy and is used when at idle only, with the choke off. The main is used when you twist the throttle, or when the choke is on. (Basically when you need more gas) it sounds like if it's not running, and spark/timing isn't the issue, it's these jets. $40 fix if that's all

I'd check first for fuel flow; disconnecting fuel line to carb and stick in clear container, crank engine and see if fuel flows from petcock.

Then, to eliminate contaminated fuel or moisture in the float bowl, I'd drain the float bowl (drain screw on carb).

Next, still doesn't start?  As mentioned above, sometimes starting fluid is your friend (assume spark previously verified).

Don't think the main jet is involved at all with application of the "choke."  When ON, the "choke" (starting enricher) withdraws a plunger from a hole in the carb and simultaneously opens an air passage; the fuel and air combine in this "mini-carburetor," providing a fuel-rich starting mixture to the carburetor venture; no main jet involvement.

With a properly-operating "choke," the engine should start, even if main jet and pilot jet are clogged; sufficient mixture from the starting enricher (fuel from withdrawal of the plunger from its orifice in the carb; air from the opened air passage) should be sufficient alone to run the engine at high idle speed.

A good primer of the carb can be found by Googling, "Care and Feeding of the CVK40."  Good diagram of the "choke" (starting enricher) from the link at STARTER ENRICHER - KLR Morning Coffee:

8fc72899-7429-4fa8-a42e-434c2aeb9c5a_zps

In the above diagram, air descends vertically, fuel enters horizontally from the left of the illustration, when the "choke" is open.

Edited by XDragRacer

Nice suggestions XDragRacer.

I've heard KLR owners talk about how easy it is to break the plastic enricher / choke / starter plunger cap at the carb.  If this busted, could it result in the OP's description of the choke not working?

Nice suggestions XDragRacer.

I've heard KLR owners talk about how easy it is to break the plastic enricher / choke / starter plunger cap at the carb.  If this busted, could it result in the OP's description of the choke not working?

I think so, IDRIDR.  I replaced mine with a Stead Engineering metal cap (after I cracked the plastic OEM part!).