KTMfinrider

Common failure with ktm300, leaking "oil" from power valve linkage cover?!

My 2017, with about 100 hours, hasn't seeped a drop around the pv. In fact, the whole motor looks like new except some boot wear on the sides. And whatever coating they're using on the cases works, cuz it's less boot wear than you'd expect.

• Like 1

Hey guys 

i own a 300 17 model mine leaks from the pv cover and the cover on opposite side but thats not as bad, just wonderibg if anyone has a solution ive tried everything

replaced the D shaped orings one was completely worn down due to vibrations 

replaced inner clutch cover gasket 

replaced the pv gasket numerous times with different sealers ect

changed the pv orings 

nothing seems to stop it and im all out of ideas

Ps my bike runs great not too rich ect , i believe the oil leaking is engine oil not oil leaking from pv

any help would be greatly appreciated

IMG_2634.JPG

IMG_3901.JPG

9 hours ago, Rexy said:

Hey guys 

i own a 300 17 model mine leaks from the pv cover and the cover on opposite side but thats not as bad, just wonderibg if anyone has a solution ive tried everything

replaced the D shaped orings one was completely worn down due to vibrations 

replaced inner clutch cover gasket 

replaced the pv gasket numerous times with different sealers ect

changed the pv orings 

nothing seems to stop it and im all out of ideas

Ps my bike runs great not too rich ect , i believe the oil leaking is engine oil not oil leaking from pv

any help would be greatly appreciated

IMG_2634.JPG

IMG_3901.JPG

I used blue RTV on my 17, seemed to work.

Are the bolt holes blind or do the bolts see pressure from behind? If the holes are not blind you should seal the threads with either RTV or some Permatex thread sealant

On 3/16/2019 at 7:32 AM, 2strokenut said:

I used blue RTV on my 17, seemed to work.

I think ive tried every sealant besides that , how badly was yours leaking ? And did you use it on the D orings?

6 hours ago, gdwrench said:

Are the bolt holes blind or do the bolts see pressure from behind? If the holes are not blind you should seal the threads with either RTV or some Permatex thread sealant

As far as i know they are just straight into thecylinder head there should be no pressure behind but ill double check

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Rexy said:

I think ive tried every sealant besides that , how badly was yours leaking ? And did you use it on the D orings?

As far as i know they are just straight into thecylinder head there should be no pressure behind but ill double check

Well come to think of it, it probably doesn't need a lot of pressure..... Just exposure to the threads would be enough as it will wick up the threads with ease. 

Edited by gdwrench

On 3/18/2019 at 2:19 AM, gdwrench said:

Well come to think of it, it probably doesn't need a lot of pressure..... Just exposure to the threads would be enough as it will wick up the threads with ease. 

I will try using rtv on the bolts to hopefully seal them and maybe that will finally fix it 😫

5 hours ago, Rexy said:

I will try using rtv on the bolts to hopefully seal them and maybe that will finally fix it 😫

judging by the pics above I think you'll have better luck … 😉