Sign in to follow this  

03 yz125 clutch won't engage

I recently just purchased this bike with transmission issues,3rd gear missing teeth(5 speed). I replaced the tranny with a 6 speed out of a 98 yz125(supposedly), at any rate the trans droped right in with minor modification to the shift log. Having the crank and piston still good, I sealed the case halves up and move to the clutch. Basket isn't damaged, clutches and steels look fantastic as well as the springs. Made sure the bottom friction and top were different then the middle frictions. Assembled the pressure plate to te boss, torqued the springs down and threw the side covers on. The clutch feels like it pulling the pressure plate away but it still disengaged !! I tried adjusting the cable , and lever , even lossened the clutch springs but no enganement of the clutch in gear . Neutral spins freely. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check that the washer behind the basket didn't fall out of place when you torqued it down. (or is missing) Look on a parts microfiche and make sure all the parts are there. I just had the same issue on another bike.

Kind of confused what your problem is, you say is wont engage, and it wont disengage in the same post.  If it wont disengage im willing to bet that little ball bearing between the push rod and pressure place is missing.

Thanks for the quick replys. The washer is behind the basket as well as the basket is torqued to 58ft/lbs. as far as being engaged or dis engaged, when I pull the clutch lever in and try to roll it in gear the piston moves like the clutch isn't pulled in . It doesn't even seem to free it up at all with the clutch in . The pressure plate has the rod thru it with 2 washers and a bearing between both washers

Edited by yellow06banshee

So I just took the clutch back off to check the washers. There is a washer in between the case and the basket then another between the basket and the clutch boss(hub). Both are the same washer, not sure if the supposed to be the same or what. Thanks for the help guys