Sign in to follow this  

2006 YZ450F Sumo Project

I posted this on supermotojunkie, but forgot there's a section on TT as well.

I've wanted a supermoto for a quite some time (especially a street legal bike), but never really had the money to spend one one. Well, I've been saving my quarters and hundred dollar bills, and when I saw a plated '06 yz450f this past week, it piqued my interest even with the full dirt trim. I went to look at the bike, and within 20 minutes I was loading it up in the truck.. I didn't know all of the modifications required to make a supermoto out of an '06 yz450, so I started reading a lot of threads on wheels, brakes, as well as lights. It still has dirt wheels and tires (along with ice tires that I probably won't use), but I plan on getting supermoto wheels and better front brakes. I like to keep all of my projects 'budget-minded', so I don't have a problem waiting a little bit for a deal on parts to show up. What's a good deal on some used wheels and brakes? Do I just need a 280 or 320mm rotor, caliper, and caliper relocation bracket to fit? 

I believe it has a DRC tail-light set-up (brake light switched not installed yet), rear turn signals, and horn. The PO said it runs off a battery-pack that lasts about 5-6 hours. He had an HID headlight on it before, but it burnt out and lost motivation on the project. I know it's harder to get a working headlight on the '06-09 YZ, but I don't plan on doing much, if any, night riding. This is just going to be the occasional weekend play bike.

WR stator/crank is too expensive, and I was thinking about getting a proracing stator after some research revealed the moose and electrosport stators are junk. However, My old man is into electric rc planes and recommended getting a couple 4 cell lipo batteries to power the lights. I don't need a powerful headlight, so each battery should last a few hours. They are easy to recharge, so this would be much better than replacing a bunch of AA batteries that currently power it.

Just by test riding it I can tell it needs different gearing because it easily wheelies in every gear. I know the YZ transmission isn't as good as the WR for street riding, but I read that 15/42 or 45 sprockets should help keep the RPM down when cruising at 55mph.

I thought it might be an '08 before I saw it in person because it has the black flywheel cover and a short stock muffler, but the VIN and title prove that it is in fact an '06... Overall the bike seemed pretty clean, and it fired up right away in 35 degree weather. Suspension was done by pro-action supposedly, but I don't know if it was set up for street or dirt, nor what weight it's for, unfortunately. I will say that I'm more of a 2-stroke guy as far as riding dirt bikes, but I've wanted a motard for a while and couldn't pass this up. Now to wait another long and dreadful winter.....

2006YZ450F3_zpse927d13f.jpg

2006YZ450F1_zpse10e2348.jpg

2006YZ450F4_zpsee3e2680.jpg

2006YZ450F5_zps965c68c5.jpg

Ok.

I found an exhaust, as well as some wheels, so they'll probably be here in a couple weeks. Not in a huge hurry because it's been below zero for the past week or two. Does anyone know of a universal mechanical tachometer for dirt bikes? I was looking at getting the Trail Tech Endurance for a speedo/odo/tach, but I don't like the digital tach.

That is NOT an 06. 03-06 use a blue steel tube frame. 07+ use the cast aluminum frame like you have.

Beg to differ.  The YZ got the aluminum frame in 06.  The WR got it in 07. Although the bike in the photo has wave rotors (07), black stator cover (08), shorty muffler (08).

I would say it was a 08 but it looks like the clutch cover is grey which indicates a 06/07.

• Like 1

For street use you could probably stay stock on the brakes just an oversized rotor and relocation bracket for the caliper. If you plan on going to the track with it moto master makes a good front brake setup I think mine was 1200 for caliper rotor master cylinder lever mount and line.

I don't know why parts from an '07/08 were put on it... Yeah, that's all I'm doing for now for the brakes. I don't plan to race it, but you never know down the road. It's just so expensive, and I have half a dozen other expensive hobbies...

Look up my name in supermotojunkie and read some of my posts there and here also. Once I retired from racing I made my 06 street legal. Same as yours, drc kit and a led headlight bulb in an acerbis headlight. I tried several electro(something) stators, basically moose stators and all failed. So I got rid of the battery pack and used a 19.2v drill battery. It would fit perfectly under the seat, with a bit of foam wrapped around it. The led lights can handle the load and the lights would last for over a month on 1 charge. Like I said, check my old posts out and there's probably pics there as well.

Thanks, I'll have to check that out. You can put an led bulb in a halogen headlight? A month is a long time. The PO said he tried an HID headlight and it lasted 5-6 hours on the battery pack. My wheels just came in the mail, so if it ever warms up I'll start putting things together.

Edit: I searched and couldn't find any detailed info/pics on your build, ca412686.

Edited by mx4god

Thanks, I'll have to check that out. You can put an led bulb in a halogen headlight? A month is a long time. The PO said he tried an HID headlight and it lasted 5-6 hours on the battery pack. My wheels just came in the mail, so if it ever warms up I'll start putting things together.

Edit: I searched and couldn't find any detailed info/pics on your build, ca412686.

The bulb in the acerbis light was a mr16 I believe. So you can get high performance led bulbs in mr16. I'll check on my posts.

Weird, can't find any of my old posts from the past. But if you just search my name in the main search engine, it shows all participated and started posts. Lots of info on lighting up a 06. Good luck.

Getting close to being fully street-able. Just need to finish wiring and headlight stuff. Tested out the 15/44 gearing and first is not that bad. After sitting all winter it only took a few kicks to start without doing anything. One kick when warm; I'm shocked (never had a 450 before).

2006 YZ450F (14).jpg

2006 YZ450F (16).jpg

Wow, it's been too long... It's finally ride-able, although not quite daily-ready. I've had so much stuff going on this spring/summer and just decided to put the foot down to try and finish it. The wiring was a big mess (uncovered wires, stuff not connected properly, nothing labeled), but it's pretty much good now thanks to the help of my old man and his master wiring skills. Just have to make a horn mount and leads for charging the battery so I don't have to remove the seat every time. I'd like to get a real speedo/odo for it, and was thinking the trail tech endurance since it's fairly inexpensive. There's a few odds and ends to add as time goes, so I'll update when that changes.

2006 YZ450F (22).JPG

2006 YZ450F (23).JPG

2006 YZ450F (24).JPG