Beta OEM vs. FMF pipe

Does anyone have both on hand and could describe shape? Are they the same or close being the OEM is made by FMF? I'd like to get the Force combo guard from Beta Austrailia but since it fits close to the pipe I'd like to know if the FMF is an option. I'll call FMF and AM Beta but it would be nice to hear from someone with both on hand. Thanks.

Hey someone is not hung over!

The biggest potential problem is if the FMF pipe sits lower than the Beta OEM pipe, which sits high. The guard is a close fit, but not a contact fit like the Hyde.

I like to ride the 300 like a 250, so I like the stock pipe. It is light and I have dented it but the power is perfect for me. I think its not totally trashed because it sits so high. I'm also looking for a price on it, as if its not too $ and available then nothing to worry about. I just don't want to buy a pricey guard and then be locked into a pricey or unobtainable pipe. From my GG experience with Gnarly and Fatty, they were exactly the same pipe design, with the Gnarly made of the heavier 18ga steel. I measured and also verified this with FMF. So, any changes in the power delivery with the FMF Gnarly if its so close in shape to the stocker?

Enduroguy has the Gnarly, try to get him engaged in this conversation. I had pretty much ruled out the Gnarly because of my experience with them on my YZ - stock pipe was much better as the Gnarly made the YZ to abrupt for my kind of riding. But if it is generally the same dimensions as stock then it would be ideal.

I rode Tom's [Enduroguy] '14 300 with the Gnarly, came back and asked him how he got a 300 decal on his 250… Just me though, comparing it to my '13 300 with JD kit and G2 throttle with #2 cam in it. I'll stay with the stock pipe.

I agree, it is probably better suited to a fast reving motor with more hit like a 250, than the tamer 300 provides. It almost makes the 250 have that semi lethargic easier to control slow reving 300 feel. But I think it is a good compromise, still more fun than a 300 and not as hard nosed and brutal as a 250.

I really like the stock 300 power, I can ride it as I please, but I especially like the fact that I can ride it on the pipe a lot and not get beat up. The slow reving, big bottom power, and vibration of traditional 300s is what has kept me off of them for years. A KTM or GG 300 with a Gnarly I found obnoxious, but thats just me. This bike is different and don't want to change it.

Edited by GP

Your on a 250 though, correct? 300 has more than enough on the bottom, I would not like any more. For my style an SST type or rev pipe would be better.

Your on a 250 though, correct? 300 has more than enough on the bottom, I would not like any more. For my style an SST type or rev pipe would be better.

In this case its to bad the pipes are plated because if I remember correctly, replacing the stinger with one that sits deeper in the reversion cone will soften the bottom end and provide more hit. I'd try it on my gg but after all the work and blind alleys it took to get it to suit me I'm loath to do do anything that might take me back in a wrong direction.

I rode Tom's [Enduroguy] '14 300 with the Gnarly, came back and asked him how he got a 300 decal on his 250… Just me though, comparing it to my '13 300 with JD kit and G2 throttle with #2 cam in it. I'll stay with the stock pipe.

Ok now BetaSteve, no poking fun ? ... Steves bike was a little snappier off the bottom and seeme to run smoother/cleaner but for me the stock 300 with a gnarley works great. I got the pipe after my stock one got crunched and bent.(2nd ride) Bottom line, I really just wanted the tougher pipe do to the kind of riding I do. To date the gnarley is holding up much better than the stocker.

OK I got my own answers.  Stock pipe is close to Factory Fatty, same P3 guard fits both.  Gnarly is a little different.  Factory Fatty more of a mid top pipe, which sounds good to me on a 300.  Stock pipe is, ready, $480!! :jawdrop:  ?

WHAT?

FMF makes the pipe for Beta....its $480?

GP where did you see that price - from your dealer for the OEM one vs FMF?

Only thing on the beta site is attached.

HR

OK I got my own answers.  Stock pipe is close to Factory Fatty, same P3 guard fits both.  Gnarly is a little different.  Factory Fatty more of a mid top pipe, which sounds good to me on a 300.  Stock pipe is, ready, $480!! :jawdrop:  ?

Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 10.09.03 AM.png

Thats the price(from a dealer) of the OEM Beta pipe, which is made by FMF for Beta.  It is not a Gnarly or Fatty, and you cannot buy it direct from FMF.  Thats why its almost twice the $$, has to go through the system. The FMF pipes on the Beta site are the aftermarket FMF Gnarly and Fatty pipes, and are priced as you would expect.  No real surprise, all OEM pipes are expensive, GG pipes were over $400 as well.

Well I'm going to buy the Force guard.  If the carbon guards fit both OEM and Fatty I'm sure I can make it work being its not a contact guard anyway.  I'm sure it will pay for itself.

LOL

impressive....to say the least..

here is the vid..

I asked a question on your other pipe guard compare vid as well.

http://youtu.be/5it_U0VxVQs

HR

We beat a Pipe guard in the shop today with a piece of 5ft conduit didn't really do much to the pipe guard but bent the conduit. Waiting on the video to upload. on Youtube

• Like 1