Guys I need some help with jetting!

So I have a 02 650l with a Twin Air filter, snorkel removed, white bros. E series with nine plates and desmogged. I knows shes probably running on the lean side. My question is should I do the Dyno Jet kit, just rejet it or do Daves mod and rejet. And what size jets should I run? Im in so cal and ride between 0 and 5000 feet but mostly sea level. I know this may have been answered in another forum but I havent seen it. I know you guys are the experts.

The first thing I would do would be to check my plug, that will give you some indication of how lean or rich you are running, just Google "spark plug jetting" and you will get quite a few useful links.  I have heard some great results and some not so great results with the Dyno jet kit, so the verdict is out on that...  If you do Dave's mod, I would be wary of drilling the slide.

I don't think anybody here is going to be the expert on your bike, jetting varies from platform to platform and even varies with the same configuration at the same altitude.  The bottom line is you are going to need to do some homework here...  Were I you, I would start with checking my plug and going up one or two sizes on the main if a lean condition is indicated.  Your pilot is very easy to check, if you can screw your mixture screw all the way in and the bike will still run, you are too rich and should go one size leaner.  If you need to open the mixture screw beyond 3 - 4 turns, you are probably too lean and should go one size richer.

Just to give you one example, my bike is at 5,000 feet elevation (Albuquerque, NM), my pilot jet stayed at 50 and my main had to go up to 155, which is contrary to conventional wisdom given the need to typically go leaner at higher altitudes.

There is LOADS of info on jetting CV carbs on the web, there is nothing particularly special about the carb on the L.  I'm no "expert", but I would imagine a 52 pilot and a 155/158 main would put you in the ballpark, I would try the 155 FIRST.  I would just properly jet the stock carb and be done with it...

• Like 1

I would like to discourage you from getting a Dynojet kit because they don't use standard numbering for their jets.  The numbers the rest of us use don't match what Dynojet uses.

If you want a jet kit, Factory Pro has a nice one with the right kind of jets in it, plus needles with clips, so it's easier to adjust the needle height.  Their recommended jetting and Dave's Mod jetting are pretty much the same except that Factory Pro doesn't recommend drilling out the holes in the slide.

Or you can order the jets you want from a local motorcycle shop or web site that sells them.

Expect the bike to run significantly better after rejetting.

• Like 1