Sign in to follow this  

New 1190......WOW!

Just wait another year and someone will stuff an 1190 into an SE...already a couple 990SEs out there...in the meantime grab an 1190R if you see one.

Would love to, but at $18K OTD cost that's a little steep. I'll wait a few years until the market settles down a bit. 

Edited by rharr

Would love to but at $18K OTD cost that a little steep. I wait a few years until the market settles down a bit. 

It will for sure.  I did a precursory two week search thinking the 1190 would be a bit rare or hard to get.  Not the case at all. Plenty out there, all over the US both new and used. Found several 1190s sitting at dealers, and multiple dealers selling off their 2013 imported Austria standard versions. Initially, I thought it would be fun to have the big brother to my 690, using an 1190 standard as my street bike BUT at this price, there is a reason these units are still sitting on dealer floors.  I too give it about two years, and when a few more competitor offerings start catching up with similar bikes for less money, prices will come down notably on these 1190s I'd bet.  Visited one of my local KTM dealers who is now picking up a japanese brand too simply because of price point and much higher volume of sales based on what most people can actually afford.  I love my new 690 but the entry price is ridiculous.  Just can't justify the 1190 price, even at a notable dealer discount or at dealer cost. Looking elsewhere now.  

Just picked up a 990, that is fast I cant imagine having more power but I can't wait to try some off road stuff.

I'd like one....   Just not sure I want more mass than my Y2K LC4e.  Which is a great bike, but not great for long distances. 

Getting rid of my plated Beta 400 for the reason of not good for long distance riding, great off road though, just going to keep my 07 Husky WR

Would love to, but at $18K OTD cost that's a little steep. I'll wait a few years until the market settles down a bit.

Yup, Just sold my 1190R for $14k with 1,800 miles and transferred a 4-yr extended warrantee with the deal. Yup, prices will drop and you can get them cheaper. Cheers.

Yup, Just sold my 1190R for $14k with 1,800 miles and transferred a 4-yr extended warrantee with the deal. Yup, prices will drop and you can get them cheaper. Cheers.

Yeap I found a low mile '10 990r for about 10K. It will just have to do at half the price...... :ride:

BTW, 

because a 1190 wasn't big enough.....

KTM 1290 Super Adventure 2015: The new benchmark in the travel enduro segment

It is curious though, it seems the adventure is going more street then dirt. Look at the suspension travel numbers; it keeps getting less.

990r 245mm, 1190r 220mm, 1290 200mm. Looks like the 1190 was a 2 year trick.  Those 1190 prices will drop even quicker now with the 1290 coming to town.

Edited by rharr

Yeap I found a low mile '10 990r for about 10K. It will just have to do at half the price...... :ride:

BTW,

It is curious though, it seems the adventure is going more street then dirt. Look at the suspension travel numbers; it keeps getting less.

990r 245mm, 1190r 220mm, 1290 200mm. Looks like the 1190 was a 2 year trick. Those 1190 prices will drop even quicker now with the 1290 coming to town.

Congrats on the 990 purchase... Can't go wrong with the 950/990 LC8.

I honestly do not know the future of the 1190. KTM needs to work on a few things with this new line and it seems three bikes will be very similar when the 1050 is revealed next month.

Powercell Performance has a cure for the suspension and travel on these bikes so that can be cured.

As for the 1290, clearly marketed to the road adv rider. This bike will see off road by some, but most will be slab warriors and that's an adventure in itself and believe that's the group ktm is targeting with the 1290. If the 1290SA mechanics are anything like the 1290SD, SA owners are in for a treat. I have the new SD and the motor/tranny combo is amazing. Remarkable smoothness and amazing torque and power.

That guy is riding that thing around better than I could ride a purpose built trail bike in those conditions lol, let alone that big 1190 beast! Impressive.

BTW,

990r 245mm, 1190r 220mm, 1290 200mm. Looks like the 1190 was a 2 year trick. Those 1190 prices will drop even quicker now with the 1290 coming to town.

My 990 only has 220mm of travel, KTM Twins sells a 55mm kit with cartridges, springs and a different shock spacer for under $800US but it says for non ABS models only for some reason?

That's only there to cover their ass I believe. I just read a post on ADV where a guy put together a reasonable explanation about Homologation and why that warning may be included.  A lot of guys over on ADV have stretched their ABS 990's with no issues. 

On another note this thread is very informative about raising your 990 and the parts needed. 

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=942302&highlight=fork+lower

I need to re-stretch mine since the previous owner had lowered it..... :banghead:

BTW, if you just keep telling yourself it's just a big dirt bike (the 990) that damn thing does almost everything. The only thing I haven't really done on it yet is rock crawling enduro stuff, but sure have climbed lots of lose, ruted rocky nasty jeep trails chasing after smaller DR650's and XR650r's. 

IMHO, you only need to stretch the thing if you are planning to really put it though it's paces (aka ride it like a dirt bike) on nasty big rock trails, deep washed cut out crossings and jumps.  Those are the only place I have bottomed out the suspension on my lowered R and it's only been a few times, and it wasn't even that bad. 

Edited by rharr

I am going to get some stiffer fork springs for sure, .48 on a 475 lb bike is ridiculous.

Have taken it on some trails an a bit of moto, just whoops an corners, does not bad, I keep thinking is with some good tire it would be pretty good, K60's on it now.

I am going to get some stiffer fork springs for sure, .48 on a 475 lb bike is ridiculous.

Have taken it on some trails an a bit of moto, just whoops an corners, does not bad, I keep thinking is with some good tire it would be pretty good, K60's on it now.

i like this combo right now good street and dirt manners

tkc80 front K60-140 rear. seems to work real well in both worlds. 

i like this combo right now good street and dirt manners

tkc80 front K60-140 rear. seems to work real well in both worlds.

Be nice to have a more aggressive tread for sure, the rear just spins trying to get the front up over whoops or holes and front pushes on flat soft conditions.

The front springs are defiantly an issue, almost half the travel soon as you take it off the stand and scary because it steepens the head angle so much it makes it quick steering in fast back and forth conditions

I don't check in here often enough obviously.....I managed to pick up an extremely well farkeled '14 1190R with 1300 miles on it. The PO is a Multistrada person who should never have tried the R (21/18) configuration which doesn't suit him at all. Sold my 990 Adventure for good coin and have to admit that as much as I loved that bike for Baja, UTBDR, western desert rides, the 1190R configuration is superior. Yes, you fix the airbox issue but the niggles are much less than the 950/990 models. Much easier to change oil and do most maintainence. Still offroad capable, just remember to dial back the 150 hp to 100 hp and the bike won't rocket off on you. The Stability system is one priceless upgrade that makes the bike seem smaller than the 950/990 series, it just does not want to fall over at any speed. The R doesn't have all the Electronic suspension that I believe would cause issues if you take it where you really want to go.....fortunate to make the change when I did.....what a great bike!

IMG_20141031_122102_050.jpg

Still think this is the best and sexiest adventure ever.

That's funny! I think it's the sexiest dirt bike ever! Here's mine.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1432058949.979433.jpg