had a 70° FE450 - what would I make of a TE300?

I sold my 450 last year, mainly as I sold my camper so getting to trails would be difficult and with the servicing putting miles on the road seemed a waste.

A few mates are wanting to do a 1500mile trip next year which would be 70% mixed off road.

When I bought the 450 I did consider a TE300. The itch is still there but I have no idea how well one would suit me.

How many miles of mild riding to a full tank? How many miles before gear oil changes or engine work? Will the rear subframe take a bag?

It appears the 70° engines are proving to be longer lasting than I perhaps realized. Does anyone know the average between engine work and how that compares to the TE300? And the cost savings of a 2t.

My next bike I need to just ride to the trails when needed without wearing it out being in the back of my mind.

Other options are kTM530. I'm thinking low use used instead of new. The normal dual sport options seem heavy and crude after a berg.

Thanks

Edited by El Donkey

I got the te300 havent ridden my fe570 much since,i suppose if i rode more street dual sports i would ride the 570,but i mainly ride trails in forest areas,the 300 is a blast to ride,its light and easy to throw around.after rejet i can get 75 miles per tank.i think ill do the top end at 200 hours. besides trans oil changes,tires and cleaning air filters, its easy to maintain.

Edited by ADAM_3rd

What do you get to a tank from your 570? On the trails around me I'd get 100 from the 450. So given the larger tank the 2t is using more juice. I could do with a 100 mile range for my uses. I read the grunt is plentyful on the 300 but they hunt a bit on a steady throttle on the road, is this true?

Thanks

Just got to jet the 300 correctly and you'll be fine.  I'm getting about 90 to a tank and that's with a lot of throttle work, not just cruising. You should be able to do above 100 especially when you're on the road or calmer trails.  For a trip like that you might want to think of going up a tooth on the front sprocket or down a few on the rear.  You might need the top end and First is so low it would impact much when you get to the trail.

• 3 weeks later...