07 ttr125le shifting problems

OK everyone, I'm having a little problem with this bike. I can get it to shift through the gears but 3-5 is really finicking. I have to clutch in, try to upshift, clutch out, clutch in, then it will shift. Sometimes the shifter will get stuck in the up position until I tap it down. I have never had a problem like this before. I'm planning on the worst And a complete teardown needed but is there anything to check first before I do that.

Bike background: stock motor, uni filter, FMF exhaust. Bike was stolen from us and recovered a year later with 7 broken rear spokes, bald rear tire, no kick starter lever, and pretty scuffed up. Oil was the blackest I've ever seen and the carb was really gumbed up. It would not shift in 3rd at all. After oil change it started shifting in the way described above.

Thanks in advanced for any help.

Edited by Super Plumber X

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure before you do anything ,that you check to make sure your shifter  is installed correctly , there should be a small punch mark on the shaft and the shifter itself that need to line up , if the sifter is to far up or down it wont shift through the gears correctly .

I'm having similar issues with one of my ttr125le's.  If you drain the oil then lay the bike down on it's left side you can remove the clutch cover with out pulling the engine.  Once you have the cover off you will be able to see the segment gear and shift shaft assembly for changing and holding gears.  If you see a problem you can remove the shift lever off the shaft, remove the clutch and then remove the shift shaft assembly without digging more into the engine.  With an impact you can change the segment gear It's not difficult.  If you determine the problem is a shift fork then the engine needs to be pulled and broke down accordingly.

I have a new shift shaft assembly on order which I believe is my problem.  I will let you know.  

Good Luck

Casey

• 2 weeks later...

update: took the clutch cover off and found the pin that goes in between the two shifter spring moved on up shifts and not returning down. So i took the pin out ans found a crack on the pin holder. Because it is cast in the motor case i decided to jb weld the pin in the hole making sure to get in the cracks of the crack. I rode it on the trails for two hours the other day and all is well so far. Time will tell. If it doesn't  hold i will just get a new motor case and do a complete rebuild. Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone.