Sign in to follow this  

Looking for chest protector with side rib protection

I was riding a tight single track about 4 months ago with a friend ,  On this trail there were quite a few downed trees we had to ride over , most between 8 -15" in diameter, should have been no problem. On the last Tree i was about to ride (12-15") over I made a mistake and my rear wheel didn't climb over it. I fell sideways on the tree and landed on the point of a straight branch that was about a foot long and 3" in diameter. This branch went right between the side slit in my EVS chest protector. I broke two ribs and was hurting bad. I was lucky that  it  wasn't a couple of inchs lower and went under my ribcage  as it would have impaled me and i probably would not have made it out alive.  

So i'm looking for a chest protector with more rib protection and i'm not finding any. I have looked at  quite a few and they all seem to leave that area vulnerable. Anyone with suggestions?  I thought the Fox titan body suit would , but it doesn't.    

Edited by airbus

I broke ribs and punctured a lung because my pressure suit didn't have anything around the sides.  I did lots of research and wrote a post about it:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/wiki/_/chest-protectors-pressure-suits-and-impact-vests-r269

The Alpinestar's A-8 looks good, it caught my eye as soon as It came out.  I'm wearing a rodeo vest made by Moto X Vest these days.

Thanks for the recomendations guys.

I thought the Tekvest was more for the Adventure Touring rider , I didn't realize it offered serious protection . But  the price  -  $350-400 is over my budget of around $200.

The A8 sounds like it offers side protection and the price is within reason . Does anyone have one of these and can offer some insight on them ?

The local dealers around me don't have any of these vests on hand to check out.

Thanks again , I did not know about these vests.

I thought the Tekvest was more for the Adventure Touring rider , I didn't realize it offered serious protection .

Required equipment for sno-x racing.

Like MX, just on 400lb snowmobiles with ice studs in the track.

I broke ribs and punctured a lung because my pressure suit didn't have anything around the sides.  I did lots of research and wrote a post about it:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/wiki/_/chest-protectors-pressure-suits-and-impact-vests-r269

The Alpinestar's A-8 looks good, it caught my eye as soon as It came out.  I'm wearing a rodeo vest made by Moto X Vest these days.

Just got a chance to read your previous post on vests, great write-up 

After breaking a couple of ribs myself, I use this. Alpinestar A8. I love it

http://motocross.transworld.net/1000124603/news/house-call-alpinestars-a8-chest-protector/

I'm liking the a8 also , how is it in hot weather.

I use my A8 all year, including 90* weather in the summer.  It's feels no different form a regular chest protector.  That Leatt one looks nice also.  I bought a Mot X Vest also but don't wear it anymore, it was way too hot for me.  If anyone wants to buy my used one let me know............worn twice