Sign in to follow this  

SG10 Boot Breakin?

Bought my first nice pair of boots recently. They are comfortable lengthwise and in the calf, etc. But they feel pretty tight across the top of my foot near the ankle and in the ankle padding.

I've read that they break in pretty fast and then feel terrific, just wondering if what I am feeling is normal. My measured shoe size is 9.5, so I ordered a size 9. Here in the South we wear as thin socks as we can get away with, so I'm thinking a 10 would be too loose to provide good protection.

Any feedback on these boots would be appreciated.

~ Mick

I've heard people say "they are broken in right out of the box" but every pair I had got more and more comfortable each time I used them.

you 

Bought my first nice pair of boots recently. They are comfortable lengthwise and in the calf, etc. But they feel pretty tight across the top of my foot near the ankle and in the ankle padding.

I've read that they break in pretty fast and then feel terrific, just wondering if what I am feeling is normal. My measured shoe size is 9.5, so I ordered a size 9. Here in the South we wear as thin socks as we can get away with, so I'm thinking a 10 would be too loose to provide good protection.

Any feedback on these boots would be appreciated.

~ Mick

You got the wrong size.  I am a 9.5 and I got 10's.  I am on my 3rd pair.  I replace the insole with memory foam and I have never had a single day of break in.  Also loc-tite all the the hardwear, there are 16 screws per boot, use red on the hinge screws.

Mine were snug and comfy from the get go.  You would probably feel better in the 10.

Yeah, You should have bought the 10.

Gaerne sizes are real accurate, I wear a size 12 in everything, my size 12 Gaerne fit awesome and needed no break in at all. If they are uncomfortable out of the box it is not going to change.

To soften them up, you can  fill them up with shaving cream and let them sit for a few hours. Then wipe out the inside with paper towels.

Thanks everyone. Looks like my nephew just got a new pair of S10s. 🙄

How cool is that!  You are a great Uncle.  He will be very pleased.

How cool is that!  You are a great Uncle.  He will be very pleased.

Thanks. I was even cooler when I bought him his motorcycle, shotgun, rifle, etc. It's good to be the nephew of a man with no boys. 👍

Edited by JimIslander
  • Like 1