Gearing/Sprocket Selection or Questions - What are you using or intend to use? Chains too.

1 hour ago, captsam54 said:

Going with the 13 /42 and see what it does for me... w/ a Arrow slip on, airbox mod, K&N and EJK..lol. the bike is still in Honda's warehouse... another week or so...

I have 13/44's ....  13/42 is the same as 14/45 .... I wish I would have chained up a 14/44 or 45 and then put a 13 on up front because I just stay in town Hooligan style and some trails when I can. But, that way if a guy was gonna do a longer road trip he could toss the 14 back up front... :ride:  

I only mention this because it is something to consider if it applies to your needs/wants .... ?  

10 hours ago, captsam54 said:

Going with the 13 /42 and see what it does for me... w/ a Arrow slip on, airbox mod, K&N and EJK..lol. the bike is still in Honda's warehouse... another week or so...

Everything but the K&N. Never use K&N for dirt bikes, great for street but not the dirt, they allow too much crap through.

Just use the stock air filter and take off the screen.

• 1 year later...
On 9/27/2015 at 5:26 AM, gnath9 said:

I have always said .... Listen to no one including myself ... Mod it the way you like and share with the world ... :D

Hi all new here and thought i'd just ask my question in this old thread as it's what i want some help with...

Stock set up as we know is 14T front 40T rear this gives you a Ratio of 2.86%

I have read a lot about sprocket selection with most just going the cheapest, easiest way and just whacking a 13T on the front! This gives you a Ratio of 3.08 and torque gain of 7.1% a speed loss of 7.1% and no need for a new chain!

Now in my research a lot say that going to a smaller sprocket on the front is not the best way? One of the main reasons seems to be the chain is closer to the swinging arm and wears the pads/metal out quicker + wears the chain quicker and puts more pressure on the shaft??? I have no idea, this is just from reading ?

A lot talk about putting a 42T on the rear with the stock 14T up front which gives you a Ratio of 3.00% with Torque gain only 4.8 with the speed loss of 4.8% With the need for a new chain? although i have read here there is no need. I'm guessing to have the axle in the correct place you need a new chain? You can then also if needed for a special ride wack a 13T on the front to give you a Ratio of 3.23 a torque gain of 11.6% speed loss of 11.6%

My question is, using the sprocket calculator i found, a Honda one http://sprocketcalculator.com/  the better combo would be stock 14T up front and a 43T at the rear! This gives you a Ratio of 3.07% and a Torque gain of 7% with the speed loss of 7% and a need for a new chain! nearly the same as just putting the 13T on the front. Now for a special ride you could now wack a 13T on the front with a Ratio of 3.31 and have a whopping torque gain of 13.6% speed loss of 13.6% over the stock 14-40 setup

Having read all this thread i see not many use the 43T rear? but also read it's good to have an odd and even on the sprockets teeth, so this fits that criteria??  haha

So if one doesn't mind spending the money am i correct in thinking the 43T rear is the way to go? I really know very little about this subject and all this is from research, so any tips will be taken on board! Oh when i am on the road to get to spots our speed limit is 100kph so top end is not a real problem, our fastest freeways are only 110kph too!

Well as the quote says do the f@$& what you want and this is the way i am going to try, just interested in others views as i said the 43T rear hasn't been mentioned much?

Oh i'm 63 and a weak old man so just looking for that all round right gearing, when i went for my first ride with my son i found when i changed to second i didn't have enough in 2nd and had to change back to first straight away which was annoying!

check the ride out here and see what i mean

cheers & thanks for any help

Chuck

PS oh and sorry for dragging this thread back up ?

Edited by Chuck Thrillseeker

13/42 sounds like the right combo for you.

13 may make it wear quicker, but it won't be a noticeable difference unless you plan on riding 10K + miles per year.

I personally just added a piece to my chain an ran 14/50 right off the bat. Was great up to about 60 - 65 MPH.

When I wore that chain out, I settled on 15/51 which is great up to 65 - 70 MPH - wrapping a little at 70 MPH but throttle response is better that way and I don't slow down on the hills.

For counter shaft sprockets, my first choice is always 15, followed by 13, and then 14, with 12 being my least favorite. The more teeth, the longer it will run, and an odd number of teeth will make it last longer as well.

Edited by 1972RedNeck
  • Like 1

Also remember the tire diameter makes a difference. I put on a full knobby that has a slightly larger diameter and 13t up front. The tire canceled out some of the lower gearing so I put a 42t on the rear and found that perfect.

Also remember the tire diameter makes a difference. I put on a full knobby that has a slightly larger diameter and 13t up front. The tire canceled out some of the lower gearing so I put a 42t on the rear and found that perfect.

With out the tire size in the calculator 13/45 would be a 21 reduction on a stock tire. With the 110/100-18 505 cheater 13/45 is only a 16% reduction IMG_7845.jpg