Gearing/Sprocket Selection or Questions - What are you using or intend to use? Chains too.

cool gnath9. 13/44 it is then. I also think that stock shock is killing me. it wants to compress to much before lifting front, and of course you also have that 305 kit. If I still want more after this the next mod will be the shock. Im only 130 pounds, do you think the shock will help me a great deal?

as Hege pointed out ... I am running a 305 Big Bore with Full FMF etc ...... 

13/42's did lift the front in 2nd with the stage 1 kit tho .... just not as effortlessly.  Going beyond the 13/42 is totally up to the rider. I honestly think I would like a 13/48 or 14/51's ... but that's just me and this bike is strictly my toy/play bike. I still want more 3rd gear pull ....  :facepalm:  i wish I knew someone that could work the head over to pull another 5 to 8 HP out of it ....  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Mine is just a toy as well. I only use it for trails and pits for fun. I have street bikes for the street. I have fmf 13/42 and pulls 2nd wheelies fine. I would just like it to be a little more effortless. I don't see 305 helping so much as the sprockets, or even the shock

• Like 1

Mine is just a toy as well. I only use it for trails and pits for fun. I have street bikes for the street. I have fmf 13/42 and pulls 2nd wheelies fine. I would just like it to be a little more effortless. I don't see 305 helping so much as the sprockets, or even the shock

The 305 adds 6 -8 HP .... it does make a very big difference... :prof:   

If you like to play off road then you need the full Race Tech setup ...  :thumbsup:  The bike feels lighter and you can actually jump the bike with confidence. It also just handles 100 times better ... the change is unbelievable.  :ride: And of course so does the gearing .... 

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 1

what street bikes Jimmy--we like pic's if you have not noticed?? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My street ride is a 2008 Concours 1400. It too has all mods. 155 hp. at rear wheel. Pulls 2nd gear wheelies with easy, even when two up.

2014-06-17 07.52.48.jpg

Edited by jimmyj911
  • Like 2

My street ride is a 2008 Concours 1400. It too has all mods. 155 hp. at rear wheel. Pulls 2nd gear wheelies with easy, even when two up.

post-392570-0-81854700-1403040980.jpg

Nice Cadillac you got there Jimmy !!! .....  :thumbsup:

I got a crazy feeling once I get the Sena head sets all set up .... I am really going to miss having a road bike ....  :banghead:

• Like 1

I can't see it being worth the time or money over the difference the shock would have for the riding I do.

I can't see it being worth the time or money over the difference the shock would have for the riding I do.

Yeah it's a personal choice. I was just refering to your previous statement regarding making wheelies easier, in that sense it makes a bloody big difference. It's also one of the best bang for buck mods you can do along with suspension that actually transforms the bike.

• Like 2

If it is wheelies your after ..... like me ... the 305 is the answer ... trust me on this one I know. 

I have about every mod you can think of .... 13/44's with the 305 still will not lift the front in 3rd effortlessly .... maybe 13/48's will ... witch just happens to be where I am headed ...  :thumbsup:

The stock CRF250X comes with 14/51's and only has 24 hp. 

13/48's is the same as 14/51's and my bike has 26hp ....  :banana:  maybe with some head work I can get it up to 30+ ...  :excuseme:

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 2

That's it im ordering 48 tooth. What happens with chain guide with 48 tooth?

I dunno as I have not tried it yet .... I think the CRF150F is a direct bolt on and that bike comes with a 47 rear .... I have both bikes but I have not taken it off the 150 and tried to install on the 250 yet. I can try for you when I get my bike back from the tattoo parlor ....  :ride:

• Like 1

Well l orderd a 48 tooth and new chain. I figure if I put the wheel back far enough with a longer chain and flip the wear gide I'll be ok.

• Like 2

I changed to 13t front and after 10+ tanks and over 1,000 miles my average MPG only barely changed. I'm a "Big" guy so I needed the extra acceleration the 13t provided. Absolute top speed is still about 70 mph.

• Like 1

So I just took a 800 mile round trip from Madison wi to Bloomington in and when I got back I noticed my chain is very slack and the axle is all the way back so I think it might be time for a new chain? Sprocket I have a new one... but in the meantime I thought I would remove a link... any advice how ?? I cannot find a master link anywhere ....

did you put a 13 on the front ?  if so and you still have a 40 on the rear then your chain is not really stretched that far. 

• Like 1