Gearing/Sprocket Selection or Questions - What are you using or intend to use? Chains too.

Gnath even if the chain isnt "really" stretched that far, theres not much you can do when the axle is all the way back and you run out of adjustment.

There is no masterlink in this chain.  Youd have to buy a chain breaking tool and a new masterlink if you want to shorten your chain.  Sounds like your probably due for a new chain thou.  You could also buy a bigger rear sprocket instead haha.  How many miles do you have on the bike?  Iv got over 4000 on my stock chain, with lots of offroad abuse and lots of highway miles also.  Were you running it to tight to make it stretch so quick?

Gnath even if the chain isnt "really" stretched that far, theres not much you can do when the axle is all the way back and you run out of adjustment.?

Yep .... I was only asking because if he has 14/40's then he needs a new chain .... if he has 13/40's then he can cut it down. 

• Like 1

I have 13 40 now but I had a 42 on and the teeth wore down so I threw my stock back on untill new 42 arrive... by how loose the chain is I don't think those two teeth would tighten enuff to still leave me room for adjustment ... mlies 12,000

• Like 1

At 12,000 miles you might have the most miles on a 250L of any of us here-- :thumbsup::ride: sounds like time for a new chain to me?? :thumbsup:

Edited by USMCVietVet
  • Like 2

Check check yea yea ... only had her 11 months now and riding season is shortened in wisconsin but it's my only trans.. I push her hard every day

• Like 1

I have 13 40 now but I had a 42 on and the teeth wore down so I threw my stock back on untill new 42 arrive... by how loose the chain is I don't think those two teeth would tighten enuff to still leave me room for adjustment ... mlies 12,000

At 12,000 miles you might as well just choose a sprocket combo you like with a new chain and ride another 12,000 miles ....  :ride:

• Like 2

Would I have ti get a larger chain if I went bigger than 42

yes ..... most of the 120 link chains are cheaper than if you tried to buy a 106 or a 108 link chain. 

My suggestion is to buy what if sprocket combo you like and a 120 link chain and then cut to fit ...  :thumbsup:

• Like 3

After my Divorce from "the wicked witch of the west" in 74 all i had was my 750 Honda (she got both cars and the house) and had to ride it for almost 9 mo's but in Kalifornia--got wet a few times tho!was still worth it in the long run :devil: ! :facepalm:

• Like 1

Yeah like I said 80+.

Hahahahaha

how do you guys get 80+? i didn't get that all stock. i didn't get that with 13T. i don't get that with EJK. i now have FMF to install. but, i really don't think that is going to change that much. maybe my tire pressure is at 2lbs. i haven't checked them lately. LOL

Iv had mine to 96, stock gears and stage one (FMF, EJK, Air box mods).  Downhill ofcourse.  GPS'd the speedo so I know it was accurate within reason.  Mine seems to do 80 pretty easy but at those speeds the speedo is getting slower and slower haha.

• Like 3

how do you guys get 80+? i didn't get that all stock. i didn't get that with 13T. i don't get that with EJK. i now have FMF to install. but, i really don't think that is going to change that much. maybe my tire pressure is at 2lbs. i haven't checked them lately. LOL

EJK will actually lower your top end if you don't have it tuned right

EJK + air box mods + full FMF exhaust does very little to increase your top speed, what it does do is increase your acceleration significantly and ability to maintain 70mph going up hills.

I think I might have increased top speed by 3 to 5mph with stage 1 after spending quite a bit of time tweaking ejk settings and playing with filter and air box mods.

How heavy are you?

What altitude are you at?

What fuel?

What tyres?

What pressures?

How many miles do you have on the bike?

Are you saying you don't even get 80mph on the speedo?

Edited by Positron007
  • Like 1

EJK will actually lower your top end if you don't have it tuned right

EJK + air box mods + full FMF exhaust does very little to increase your top speed, what it does do is increase your acceleration significantly and ability to maintain 70mph going up hills.

I think I might have increased top speed by 5mph with stage 1 after spending quite a bit of time tweaking ejk settings and playing with filter and air box mods.

How heavy are you?

What altitude are you at?

What fuel?

What tyres?

What pressures?

all quality questions.

you are correct. i definitely improved acceleration. 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile times with EJK.

185lbs

sea level

97 octane (i have a question about that because i read this bike runs better with 87 octane on this forum. i have not researched why this was stated.)

stock tires

pressures unknown. i joked about it, but i really need to check them.

• Like 1

Do you not even get 80mph on the speedo?

Do your own experimentation with fuel, don't rely on what others have said. I definitely get better mpg and top speed on higher octane fuel but I don't know how it compares with your fuel. We go off RON, you guys go off MON.

How many miles do you have on your bike?

MPH. no, i have never hit 80mph. the most was 74mph downhill before 13T.

using gps i have reached 76mph (gps, not speedo) with EJK and it feels right. i ran out of road though. i have not had an all out run since those mods.

there are 207 miles on odometer.

MPH. no, i have never hit 80mph. the most was 74mph downhill before 13T.

using gps i have reached 76mph (gps, not speedo) with EJK and it feels right. i ran out of road though. i have not had an all out run since those mods.

there are 207 miles on odometer.

The bike isn't broken in yet. Give it a good flogging. Just pin it in every gear taking it close to the rev limiter before shifting, or put it in 5th cruise at 45 mph then pin it till you reach 75 mph. Repeat 5 times, bike should come alive.

Also hope you are not running stock ejk settings, they will definitely reduce your top speed.

Edited by Positron007
  • Like 1

Im running 13/42 now and the rpms are on the hi side cruising at 60mph Im sure I can push it to 70mph but 80  that's a stretch.

I will run this set up for now but I think I will go back to 13/40's

edit,,, 250 miles on it

edit again,,,, fmf stage one set up installed

any sugestions,,,,, EJK settings????? should I rev it till it blows then install a 305 kit???

Edited by Ducky Dog

The bike isn't broken in yet. Give it a good flogging. Just pin it in every gear taking it close to the rev limiter before shifting, or put it in 5th cruise at 45 mph then pin it till you reach 75 mph. Repeat 5 times, bike should come alive.

Also hope you are not running stock ejk settings, they will definitely reduce your top speed.

i do not take it easy on this equipment. if i had a tach, i could tell you what i rev it to. but it sounds wound out in each gear. i do this to set the rings and not baby it. i have stock exhaust and EJK is 1.5, 2, 3.5