Gearing/Sprocket Selection or Questions - What are you using or intend to use? Chains too.

Im running 13/42 now and the rpms are on the hi side cruising at 60mph Im sure I can push it to 70mph but 80  that's a stretch.

I will run this set up for now but I think I will go back to 13/40's

edit,,, 250 miles on it

edit again,,,, fmf stage one set up installed

any sugestions,,,,, EJK settings????? should I rev it till it blows then install a 305 kit???

Stock airbox or modded?

Give the bike a good flogging, the stock motor is bullet proof. My stock motor saw most of it's time (a good deal of it at least) with the throttle pinned. It ran beautifully. 70mph was just getting started on my bike (completely stock)

Edited by Positron007

i do not take it easy on this equipment. if i had a tach, i could tell you what i rev it to. but it sounds wound out in each gear. i do this to set the rings and not baby it. i have stock exhaust and EJK is 1.5, 2, 3.5

Give it a good flogging for another 300 miles. The bike should really open up after that.

I was running 13/42 then went back to 13/40. Seems like the right compromise for me. At 240# I can hit 80 but I don't feel the bike was broken in until 1500 miles at least.

• Like 1

I'm running 13/44 right now, and THAT'S no fun... I plan on buying a 42, but I need to find one that will fit my supermoto wheel. personally, I think you made the mistake of riding the WR... the CRF is a different animal, no way around that. have you considered a 305? I'm thinking about going to a 305 over the winter...

• Like 1

Stock airbox or modded?

Give the bike a good flogging, the stock motor is bullet proof. My stock motor saw most of it's time (a good deal of it at least) with the throttle pinned. It ran beautifully. 70mph was just getting started on my bike (completely stock)

air box modded, snorkel out. 5 holes,, blah blah blah

Are you talking KPH or MPH?

657pink

Will the stock 14 front fit with your chain? If you still have it no reason to buy the 42.

Edited by Shooplick
  • Like 2

Sound like u could make that into a good song ...lol

your screen name as the title, and his life as the lyrics...  it will be a hit...  i will promote you guys!!!!  

• Like 2

your screen name as the title, and his life as the lyrics...  it will be a hit...  i will promote you guys!!!!  

And my EX :devil: would get all the money--FUNNY guys :rant::p

• Like 1

And my EX :devil: would get all the money--FUNNY guys :rant::p

we'll keep it all under the table....  kind of like "bangkok roulette"  

ever seen it before???

• Like 1

air box modded, snorkel out. 5 holes,, blah blah blah

Are you talking KPH or MPH?

Mph.

You should be able to get the bike up to 84mph consistantly on the flat once it is broken in.

When I first installed the exhaust + ejk my top speed actually went down, it took a bit of messing around with the settings to get it right.

Edited by Positron007
  • Like 1

Has anyone gone to a 42T and kept the 14T?  A 42 will end up pulling the tire forward a bit but theoretically less forward than the 13 pushes it back?  I put a 13T on but find the bike a bit too buzzy for me at speed if that makes any sense.  Maybe I just need to give the 13T more time?

• Like 1

Or be near deaf like me--I don't hear a buzzness on mine? Have you done the air box mods?? holes and remove the snorkel  that improves the sound a lot!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have pulled the snorkel and backfire screen.  It's the buzz of high rpm's not a air issue, just seems like the thing is screaming at 60-65mph.  While I appreciate the pull the 13t gives it's the high rpm's I find annoying I guess.  I probably need to give it more time and the reality is I don't do much highway riding anyway.  I was just curious if anyone had tried just a 14/42 as it seems to be in the middle of 14/40 and 13/40.

• Like 1

The factory Honda 14 tooth has some rubber on it to help absorb chain noise .... the aftermarket 13 tooth does not have this. 

I thought about that because it is more of a feeling than a noise.  I wonder if that rubber is supposed to absorb noise or insulate vibration?  It has to have a genuine purpose or they (Honda) wouldn't have gone through the extra expense of having it there.  More the reason to pick up a 42t and give it a shot I guess.

• Like 1

I was on 14/40 and changed to 14/42 only because I started doing more single track, slow technical riding.

I have both 13 and 42, but with the big bore kit I didn't need to install both, so I opted to put in a lighter weight rear 42 tooth sprocket instead of the 13 tooth counter sprocket.

I purchased a new chain.

Edited by Positron007
  • Like 2

No doubt it probably is in my head but I can't fix myself. Too damn old.

Assuming you used the stock chain did you have any issues with fitment using 14/42? I'm curious why you chose 14/42 over 13? Did you have the 14/42 before the big bore or as a result of the big bore? Thanks in advance for your help!!

Positron ain't no dummy .....  :lol:

I'm sure he runs 14/42 because for his setup it allows for maximum top end regardless of anything else .....  :ride:  he likes to out twist the big bikes in the twistys and seems to do a fine job at it  ...  :thumbsup:

• Like 2