Pay It Forward! Read more... ×

Gearing/Sprocket Selection or Questions - What are you using or intend to use? Chains too.

Yeah I only added the bare minimum to do the job, so to maintain cbr1000rr killing speed (on knobbies) in the twisties.

I feel sorry for the guy that wasted all his money on the litre bike. Hahaha

• Like 3

Yeah I only added the bare minimum to do the job, so to maintain cbr1000rr killing speed (on knobbies) in the twisties.

I feel sorry for the guy that wasted all his money on the litre bike. Hahaha

you know .... I bet you could fit a 13/44 combo with your chain ....  :thinking:  that would help your off road adventures and wheelies too ....  :smirk:

• Like 1

I'm still thinking here .....  :facepalm:

If a guy had 13/44's on dirt wheels ..... and a set of 17 motard wheels with a 42 on it ...... that would make for a nice and simple easy swap and putting a 14 up front ....  :thinking:

for where I live and the way the weather is ..... I think I could get some good use out of a Motard setup for early spring and late fall into the winter ..... maybe this winter I can get a matching set of 17's .....  :shocked:

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 1

Gary it's a good thing they don't gold plate anything for this M/C--you'd have to have another job??

i got a quote from warp 9 for a set of white rim, black nipple, gold spokes, and gold hubs...  $573 a wheel....  

or

for the black rim, gold nipple, black spoke and gold hub its $563 a wheel....   

i might be going with the white wheels and gold spokes...  i am not a gold accent person, but for i am still up  in the are about it....  we shall see i guess...   :devil:

• Like 3

Razor im in the same boat as you.  Ended up putting my 14t back on because I didnt like the 13t on the road, to much RPM at 65mph, I hated running that much RPM on the road for any length of time.

Iv really been thinking about putting a 42 on the rear with the 14 front, seems like a compromise between 13t and 14t.  Plus I just like the idea of the 14t up front, less wear on the swing arm guard, etc.  The 13t was a little nicer on the trail thou, gota keep a little more momentum with the 14t.  14/42 also gives you a nice even 3:1 final drive ratio, if your OCD like me hahaha!

• Like 1

i am not arguing, but i put 11,000 hard miles on my bike....  i run her 70-85mph 3/4 of the time i am riding her...  i have the 13/40 on...  i don't think you will hurt the bike...  but i could be wrong... maybe i am killing my little bike... i dont really think so, but you know what i mean...

but that being said, i am going to 14/42 if i don't get the 17" wheels soon...  i think i should change my sprockets and chain...  cheap insurance i guess for my mileage.... never put this many miles on a bike so fast... lol so i am not sure of the protocol on this... it all still looks good... my chain wear strip is about done though... so that needs a little attention i think..

• Like 2

i got a quote from warp 9 for a set of white rim, black nipple, gold spokes, and gold hubs...  $573 a wheel....  

or

for the black rim, gold nipple, black spoke and gold hub its $563 a wheel....   

i might be going with the white wheels and gold spokes...  i am not a gold accent person, but for i am still up  in the are about it....  we shall see i guess...   :devil:

white rims ... black nipples and hubs .... gold spokes ...  :thumbsup:

here is the Dubya wheel builder page .... http://goo.gl/Cca9gQ

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 2

That would match the gold anodized front forks well!!

they are road wheels, so i am not too worried about the white or gold getting messed up....  just think it would be interesting to see her all white, black, and gold...  like pimp daddy gold spoke wheels for a cadooooo....   

its one of the 2 color schemes...  either way, its pretty pricey, but you only live once... i don't want to get chrome spokes just because its cheaper... i want what i want when i want it damn it!!!!!   hahahaha 

• Like 3

you know .... I bet you could fit a 13/44 combo with your chain ....  :thinking:  that would help your off road adventures and wheelies too ....  :smirk:

The only problem with that is I ride to the trail which is around 200 miles of highway riding just getting there and back home.

I can do everything I need to do on 14/42 with the big bore, I can loop the bike out in second so I don't need to gear it down any lower.

• Like 3

either way, its pretty pricey, but you only live once... i don't want to get chrome spokes just because its cheaper... i want what i want when i want it damn it!!!!!   hahahaha

I paid $800.00 each and I believe they are worth the extra cash to get Talon hubs and excel A6 rims with heavy duty Bull Dog spokes. I think the spokes and nipples were a $100.00 upgrade and $100.00 for the A6 rims so ..... A guy could get a basic set of D.I.D or excel rims with Talon hubs for $600.00 each.  

The guys at Dubya are very helpful and it might not be a bad idea for you to call them ......(714) 279-0200 ..... they do not respond to emails very well 

• Like 1

.. i don't want to get chrome spokes just because its cheaper... i want what i want when i want it damn it!!!!!   hahahaha 

Hahahaha

• Like 4

Some day Id like to get some D.I.D Dirt Stars, black rims, red nips, black spokes, red hubs.  I know, everyone does black and red rims on a dirtbike...  Id def go for the talon hubs thou.

Eye, all I got to say for your setup, is... Bling Bling!!!

• Like 4

Some day Id like to get some D.I.D Dirt Stars, black rims, red nips, black spokes, red hubs.  I know, everyone does black and red rims on a dirtbike...  Id def go for the talon hubs thou.

Eye, all I got to say for your setup, is... Bling Bling!!!

This is my rear wheel ...... 

post-327736-0-91920700-1403844111.jpg

IMG_20140331_201234.jpg

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 4

I run stock gearing. Only 130lbs. But i'm 40miles from detroit. 30 is expressway & i can hit 91 mph. She's screaming & will go down to 85 on inclines. But will hold 80 at 3/4 throttle. I also do this from Flint to Port huron, wide open never letting off. Which is farther on nice flat I-69. No issues. Except full exhaust makes it a lil drowny.

I got a 13t to put on. But the way i drive now. It would really be screaming. Who thinks i should change it?

Edited by leegreens
  • Like 2

Razor im in the same boat as you.  Ended up putting my 14t back on because I didnt like the 13t on the road, to much RPM at 65mph, I hated running that much RPM on the road for any length of time.

Iv really been thinking about putting a 42 on the rear with the 14 front, seems like a compromise between 13t and 14t.  Plus I just like the idea of the 14t up front, less wear on the swing arm guard, etc.  The 13t was a little nicer on the trail thou, gota keep a little more momentum with the 14t.  14/42 also gives you a nice even 3:1 final drive ratio, if your OCD like me hahaha!

It's definitely an OCD issue, just ask my wife!  I think I will give the 42 a shot too, I think since I'm torn between 14/40 and 13/40 it should be the happy spot.

Positron, Thanks for your input and help!

• Like 3

I run stock gearing. Only 130lbs. But i'm 40miles from detroit. 30 is expressway & i can hit 91 mph. She's screaming & will go down to 85 on inclines. But will hold 80 at 3/4 throttle. I also do this from Flint to Port huron, wide open never letting off. Which is farther on nice flat I-69. No issues. Except full exhaust makes it a lil drowny.

I got a 13t to put on. But the way i drive now. It would really be screaming. Who thinks i should change it?

It only takes a couple minutes to change the sprocket and adjust the chain.  Might as well give it a shot, most seem to like it.  I'd venture to say you won't like it or appreciate it since you seem to be doing high speed highway riding. It is nicer off road for sure.

• Like 2

I havent had issues on dirt roads. I got just enough power to where i can ride that edge where my back tire wont kick out around turns. 3rd & 4th gear banging. 45-65 mph

I wonder if the 13t will give me power in 6th gear. Going from 70 to 85 is a turd stock gearing. It almost loads up sometimes seems. But once the rpms come up i can jump from like 80-86 & keep it w same throttle As 70-85.

hate to do this by quoting the other bar, but just seen this and think it would be of help to some...  sorry for the info-swapping...  lol    :devil:

The OEM chain is a DID O-ring chain, size 520, with 106 links. 

The chain size is 520. "5" means each half-link is 5/8" of an inch long. This is the pitch - sprockets and chain pitch must match, or they won't even come close to mating. 

There are other 5xx-series chains, all of which have 0.400" diameter rollers and 5/8" pitch. 520 has 1/4" wide rollers, 525 have 5/16" rollers, and 530 have 3/8" rollers. Bikes designed for a 525 chain will thus have sprockets that are wider (thicker) than the ones on the 520-chain CRF250L. 

So, every 520 chain out there has the same dimensions, as they relate to sprocket contact. Those are pitch, roller diameter, and roller width. Thus, any 520 chain will fit any 520 sprockets. As long as you get the length right, you can fit any 520 chain to the CRF250L. 

Note that if you found sprockets of a different width, or even pitch, that fit the CRF counter-shaft and rear wheel, you could switch chain size, assuming you had clearance for the extra width. As long as both sprockets and the chain are the same spec (520, 530, 630, etc), you can swap freely, within the clearance constraints of the frame. I don't know why you WOULD on the CRF, but you COULD. 

You want an O-ring or X-ring chain on the CRF, because non-O-ring chains require very frequent cleaning and lubing. Even then, they wear quickly. Basically all street bikes use O-ring chains, because they are low-maintenance. 

Finally, there are differences between 520 chains in terms of plate thickness and strength. Thicker side plates need longer pins to hold them together, but are stronger. This is a non-issue for a bike like the CRF, but can matter for people running big power. Just the normal, thinner chains will work just fine for us. The bigger factor is seal quality; keeping that good clean grease inside the chain. Based on a little reading around here, I chose an RK x-ring chain, which was $62. If you want to talk RK vs DID vs CZ, and O-ring vs X-ring... it's an endless debate. You might as well start an oil thread. lol8.gif

FYI, for those of you swapping sprocket sizes:

• For every 4 teeth you add or subtract (front and rear combined), you'll need to add or subract two links on the chain.
  • Chains are made so that you must add or remove 2 links at once.
  • For every tooth you add or subtract WITHOUT changing chain length, the axle will move 0.15625" (5/8" pitch divided by 4).

So, if you swap to 13/43, you have just added 3 teeth in the rear, and removed one in the front. That gives you a net gain of 2 teeth. By adding two links to the chain, you will end up moving the axle backwards 0.3125", possibly running out of room to adjust the tension. If you leave the stock chain length, you'll move it forwards 0.3125", possibly running out of adjustment in the axle, or causing a large rear tire to hit the swingarm. 

If, instead, you go to 14/44, you've added 4 teeth total, and by adding two links, you'll leave the axle exactly in the stock position. 

If you're thinking about adding a couple teeth (going from 40 to 42t rear), and aren't sure if it'll fit, just slide the axle forward 0.3125", and see if the tire hits the swingarm, or if the axle runs out of travel. If not, you're good to go!

FYI, the total wear limit for an O-ring chain is about 0.3", for 50 links. So, expect the axle to move about that much during the life of the chain. In other words, if you install a new chain, and have less than 0.3" of travel left to the rear with your current chain length/sprocket combo, you'll run out of adjustment before the chain really needed to be replaced.

posted by "Auto-X fill" and stolen by "eyeopenher"  lol

Edited by eyeopenher
  • Like 1

So, This weekend I installed my 48 rear and put my 14 front on and replaced the chain. I used my 14 first because I can remove link but not add so I went with 14 front first. It brought my top speed down to 72 mph and made little difference in power down low to lift front over puddles and riding wheelies, over my last 13 42 setup. So next weekend I will change front out to 13 and see how that works out.

• Like 3

Good info eyeopenher--thanks --i learned something today- :thumbsup: -now where is my BEER!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 1