Gearing/Sprocket Selection or Questions - What are you using or intend to use? Chains too.

So, This weekend I installed my 48 rear and put my 14 front on and replaced the chain. I used my 14 first because I can remove link but not add so I went with 14 front first. It brought my top speed down to 72 mph and made little difference in power down low to lift front over puddles and riding wheelies, over my last 13 42 setup. So next weekend I will change front out to 13 and see how that works out.

so 3 more teeth in the rear did not help with the lofting the front??? i would have thought going to the 48 would have made it a wheely king...  even with no stage 1....  lol  i guess i am wrong...  isn't the first time... wont be the last...   

• Like 1

I went back o the 13/40 combo. it works good enough for off roading and I can get up to and cruise the freeways down  here in So Cal.

cars seem to be moving pretty fast around here.

• Like 3

For you commuters or long distance highway travelers .... a 14/42 might be best. The 42 will help it get the most out of 6th gear. I know it is only 1 tooth but it may make a difference in your RPM's and still maintain 75 mph all day long ....  :thinking:   It may be a good option for when it is time to replace your chain and sprockets.

I'm just thinking out loud again ....  :blah:

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 2

i just ordered a new chain slider because mine is just about gone...  not bad though... i did about 9000 miles with the 13t...  i only have done about 2000 miles with the 14t...  

Edited by eyeopenher
  • Like 3

i just ordered a new chain slider because mine is just about gone...  not bad though... i did about 9000 miles with the 13t...  i only have done about 2000 miles with the 14t...  

14/40 might be good with SM wheels .....   :excuseme:

• Like 2

i just ordered a new chain slider because mine is just about gone... not bad though... i did about 9000 miles with the 13t... i only have done about 2000 miles with the 14t...

By any chance, do you have the part number for this chain slider?

Ok I take my words back... I run 13/43 on last gravel trip and it was fuun..  :thumbsup: I even wheelied on 2nd with just a tiny prepush on the front..

• Like 3

So, After running my 14 48 setup for more time, Im liking it a lot. I found the key is to run rpms down low and the torque is there to lift the front in even 3rd gear and I can still run 60 mph without screaming. I still want to put the 13 front on and see how that is. I think it may make the highway stints screaming to much. Ill update.

• Like 5

I was riding my 2014 CRF250L yesterday with my Wife and Son when I kept hearing a noise coming from the front sprocket area.

I got the bike home, put it on the stand and pulled off the front sprocket cover . Everything looked fine !

By this time I was thinking that it might be a problem with the gears.

I looked at the drive chain and it was pretty loose. So I adjusted it, took the bike out for a ride and Praise The Lord, the noise was gone !

I have 850 miles on it and I guess I should have adjusted the chain at 600 miles .

• Like 3