Gearing/Sprocket Selection or Questions - What are you using or intend to use? Chains too.

From reading all this about changing sprockets just out of curiosity I had a 42T sproket for sale in the classified and didnt  get one hit on it I know a lot of readers looked at the add  so what went wrong maybe someone can fill in for next time

From reading all this about changing sprockets just out of curiosity I had a 42T sproket for sale in the classified and didnt  get one hit on it I know a lot of readers looked at the add  so what went wrong maybe someone can fill in for next time

Most members don't check the classified section.  List it in your signature and handle it via PM's.  Here's a link about it.  http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1072460-for-sale-or-wtb-information-and-guidelines/  That way every post you've made is an ad.

• Like 3

Random? For the gear heads

I like my 90mph top speed. But want to get there faster.

Will a lighter front/rear steel sprocket combo make a noticable difference.

I'm on the lightweight band wagon. Only 130lbs. I have CF handle bars,rs-4 ss exhaust, fender elm.

Want to go sprockets w the lowest friction chain. & then the lithium battery.

Random? For the gear heads

I like my 90mph top speed. But want to get there faster.

Will a lighter front/rear steel sprocket combo make a noticable difference.

I'm on the lightweight band wagon. Only 130lbs. I have CF handle bars,rs-4 ss exhaust, fender elm.

Want to go sprockets w the lowest friction chain. & then the lithium battery.

My 2 cents answer: yes, lighter sprockets help. Less turning weight improves power. Not overall weight of vehicle, just the weight the engine has to physically turn. Only on one other bike of mine (I've had many) have I changed sprockets on. On a 600 sport bike of mine, I changed the sprockets and chain from steel sprockets and 525 chain to aluminum sprockets and 520 chain, same exact gearing. The improvement was unreal. Me and my buddy always raced, all the time, and he always slightly got me. He was on a Gixxer 600, me on my CBR 600. After the change in sprockets and chain, I got him, every time, by a noticeable amount. He kept asking what I did to my engine, I kept saying nothing, just the sprockets. He never believed me, but I'm a firm believer in lighter sprockets/chain. Back then, I rode a lot. I had close to 100,000 miles on that bike when I did the change. Bike had 8,000 when I got it. I knew that bike inside and out, and I can tell you, difference was impressive.

Not many people believe me though, but I swear by it. Less "turning weight" = more power.

I dunno about aluminum tho. But really want to get the jt steel front & lightweight steel rear from crfs only.

But seen the ultralight renthal, seems aluminum? Do they have a steel?

Could i get aluminum to last?

I dunno about aluminum tho. But really want to get the jt steel front & lightweight steel rear from crfs only.

But seen the ultralight renthal, seems aluminum? Do they have a steel?

Could i get aluminum to last?

I honestly don't know. Aluminum definitely wears out faster than steel, but I would think it'd have a decent life with only a 250cc engine. I got about 30,000miles on my 600 aluminum sprockets. They still looked good but wife wrecked bike at a track day, so no idea how long they would of held up.

Thats seems pretty durable! I think i'll go w that since always oiling anyways.

So steel 14 lightweight front & aluminum ultralight renthal rear.

My difference factor when i review it will be if the bike hits 90mph when i'm sitting up. Which currently only holds 80 then i have to tuck down to gain to 90.

Also hitting these speeds w stock gearing.

Rs-4 full exhaust

Dunlop 606 thats a lil bigger, barely fits.

Fender elim.

Removed storage box.

My weight 130lbs

I want to hit the rev limiter in 6th w stock gearing. That would give me the whole range.

Long shot maybe could get second gear to wheelie. With lighter sprockets & lithium battery.

I'm hoping for fast 0-60's shifting every 10mph. Through all six with the low end power.

• Like 1

Okay, need some straight shooters to mind crunch this for me. Something seems off.

vBblc6v.png

According to this graph I should be running about 73mph at 5000rpm and about 87mph at 6000rpm. I approached time travel yesterday on the interstate and my motor was seriously about to come unhinged. Is that really only 6000rpm? It felt and sounded more like 8-10k rpm.  :confused:

Also, is it really possible to go 30+ mph in 1st gear? I just don't see this being right.

Edited by K.Ray

That chart is in kph!

And we have a winner! Thank you.  :facepalm:

Stock gearing 88mph = 9000rpm

Current gearing 88mph =  :eek:

Edited by K.Ray
  • Like 1

I do Praise The Lord for everything in my life and I want everyone to know it. :)

Not gonna lie to you, I'm with you there. As much as I'm a religious person and believe in god and how he works in mysterious ways this is not the site to try and let everyone know.

Best if luck to ya

• Like 2

There is a time and place for everything- :thumbsup: -there are no athiest in fox holes--least not when your getting shot at!! :excuseme::usa::cheers:

• Like 4