Pay It Forward! Read more... ×

Gearing/Sprocket Selection or Questions - What are you using or intend to use? Chains too.

Purchased recently  and found it geared to high for my style of riding. I weigh 225 lbs. I already changed to a 13 tooth CS sprocket. No other changes. Your opinion(s) re:

• Changing to a 43 tooth rear 
  • Will I need to purchase a new/another chain, or can I move the wheel forward far enough without a new chain 
  • If not, do I have to buy a whole new chain or can I add links.
  • Will a 43 tooth be too low
  • If you recommend a 42 tooth CS sprocket, please answer the same questions re chain.    

Sincerely.

Yup, I weigh the same and run 13/42 with stock chain, which roughly keeps it in stock location. I think it's the perfect balance of gearing for this bike.

Edited by Old Goat Ninja
  • Like 1

13/42 will work with the stock o ring chain--speedo off 5 to 7 mph tho!!

After trying all ratio 13-40 13-42 14-40  back to 13-42 for good and a speed DRD push a button and speedometer back to correct.

• Like 2

I also have a strong faith in God , Jesus Christ and one thing I always do is give thanks and praise to Him for everything . I don't say that it's luck, because it may be a blessing from God .

• Like 4

I have 850 miles on it and I guess I should have adjusted the chain at 600 miles .

Try closer to 100 mi. There is some amount of initial stretching that all chains go through. After the first adjustment of a quality chain they should need very little adjusting until worn out.

• Like 1

@headbanger02: you could get a normal 42 sprocket and get it powdercoated.

regarding gearing setups i use 13/40 for commuting (50miles roundtrips) and 13/42 for offroad riding. the latter is a bit to buzzy for my commute, allthough i wouldn't hesitate to pick that gearing for a longer adventure trip, as i don't mind just riding 70km/h on the pavement if i've got the time to do so :ride:

• Like 1

@headbanger02: you could get a normal 42 sprocket and get it powdercoated.

regarding gearing setups i use 13/40 for commuting (50miles roundtrips) and 13/42 for offroad riding. the latter is a bit to buzzy for my commute, allthough i wouldn't hesitate to pick that gearing for a longer adventure trip, as i don't mind just riding 70km/h on the pavement if i've got the time to do so :ride:

I thought about powder coating, but would it hold up to chain abuse? I plan on staying with the 14, but making 6th gear a tad more useable with the 42  and staying with the stock chain, I'm strictly a street rider, I have a lot of curvy country roads at my disposal, but rarely go above 55 mph, but I don't want it buzzy at the same time, I call it my street bike that looks like a dirt bike... :ride:

i'm not sure how well the powdercoating will hold up, but i guess on the teeth it will show some wear pretty quick.

i don't think you'll be able to run 14/42 with the stock chain as 13/42 is already a really tight fit. a -1 drop on the front sprocket would equal to approximately 14/43. its cheaper, easier to swap (rear sprocket bolts are tight as fuark from factory) but some people claim that its better for chain life to go up on the rear instead of dropping in the front - i guess its a YMMV thing, i haven't had any problems with -1 gearing on the front.

• Like 1

It's seems like I read somewhere that 14/42 would work? If I end up buying a chain I will go ahead and go with 14/43, yeah, I know that just going with 13 would be  cheaper for the same ratio, I might just buy a black steel 43 and tape it off and just spray it. I'm very talented when it comes to spray cans. I would also need to buy a chain breaker, yes I've heard that the bolts are tight. but I'm up to the challenge.  :ride:

Yep, 14/42 works with the stock chain on mine too!

:ride:

Edited by oldguy68
  • Like 1

I've been looking at the website supersproxusa.com that can make one to order, kinda pricy, anybody here have used them before? Mental Guru, I seen somewhere around here  that there are some cross over sprockets that will work for the 250l? It would be cheaper then custom through this company. :thinking:

Edited by Headbanger02

I did the 13t front and it wasn't enough.   13/42 is where you want to be unless it is a commuter.   It is a little buzzy for the highway but manageable for short runs.  I wouldn't want to take an hr+ cruise on the interstate thats for sure.

• Like 1

If you want to easy the removal of the rear sprocket bolts, you just need to brake free from nut side with a long wrench or ratchet first, then use allen side to complete removal.

• Like 3

I've been looking at the website supersproxusa.com that can make one to order, kinda pricy, anybody here have used them before? Mental Guru, I seen somewhere around here  that there are some cross over sprockets that will work for the 250l? It would be cheaper then custom through this company. :thinking:

Which one are you looking for front or rear???  If I remember correctly it's a '86-95XR250R front sprocket and a XR650L rear sprocket....   :thinking: