Pay It Forward! Read more... ×

Gearing/Sprocket Selection or Questions - What are you using or intend to use? Chains too.

Which one are you looking for front or rear???  If I remember correctly it's a '86-95XR250R front sprocket and a XR650L rear sprocket....   :thinking:

I really don't know what I want yet, but I do want a gold rear sprocket for the bling factor, Supersprox seems to be the only place I can get a gold one, My bike is really a street bike that's looks like a dirt bike, I have hundreds of miles of twisties and hills that I love to ride within a couple of miles from my house, with my physical health, riding off road is not an option. I know using a 43 is the same as adding a 13 front that most people seem to be happy with, so I'm using that as a base line, I rarely ride faster then sixty mph, and almost never use sixth gear, I know that changing the gearing will make sixth gear more usable, I haven't called Supersprox yet, but according to there website 43 is not available, 42 and 44 is, I've been using CRF ONLY rpm calculator to help me decide, With 42, I can keep the stock chain and maybe put a 13 later if I think I need it or I can get a 44 and buy a new chain and the chain breakers that I would need. Soooo I'm leaning toward 42 with the option of adding a 13 and keeping the stock chain all around, but looking at the RPM factor, 44 would be the way to go, Sorry if this is getting long winded....At sixty mph in sixth gear, 14/42 raises it 305 rpm, 14/43 is 457 rpm, 14/42 is 610 rpm, 13/40 is is 469 rpm, 13/42 is 797 rpm and 13/43 is 961 rpm........but I just might buy a Renthal and paint it gold, I'm pretty good at using a spray can. Again sorry for the long winded post, I probably answered my own questions, and I have all winter to decide.......Thoughts  :thinking:

Most torque is between 6-7k so any of it's good, forget nitpicking about rpms or mileage. As you said, keep your chain and get 42. I think you'll like 13/42 also, it makes the stock bike move ok.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

well i can add this, i usually run the bike 13/40...  but after putting on this huge 5.10 shinko 244 i upped it to 13/43 with a new 108 link chain...  its let all the way out on the adjustments though...   i lost too much power and speed with the 14/43 with the 5.10 so i had to gear her down. the last 1/4 of throttle was useless...  but now she grunts all the way to the top...  just the top is now a little slower then before... lol  but here is how she looks for now... still riding her... rode in 28* the other night on the way home from work...  in the hail...  it was fun...  and as you can see, i flipped the chain guide block...  easy peasy...

IMG_20141029_162833_432.jpg

Edited by eyeopenher
  • Like 4

Thanks for the pic eyeopenher, what sprocket is this, If you could in your spare time I would like to see a pic showing a better perspective of how much bigger this tire is, I want/need some tires next summer, if you still had stock tires on....would you still be running 14/43? :thumbsup:

Thanks for the pic eyeopenher, what sprocket is this, If you could in your spare time I would like to see a pic showing a better perspective of how much bigger this tire is, I want/need some tires next summer, if you still had stock tires on....would you still be running 14/43? :thumbsup:

Never mind the pic, I just found it on the tire tread.... :facepalm:

• Like 1

yes, i would run the 13/40 or 14/43 combo with a stock size tire...  for me the 3 teeth was just tits...  i could get to 85mph and it was acceptable on the low end also...  i am probably gonna get a 44t rear if i keep the 5.10 on...  this way i can run 14/44 on the 108 link chain...  the 6 tooth jump was a little too much for commuting...  but i love the low end now...  its all a trade off...  but to answer your question, i feel a 43 or a 42 rear sprocket is a must with a stock sized tire...  

the sprocket and chain i got from sprocket center...  i believe it was around $120 shipped to my door for the rear 43t and the 108 link DID chain...  

• Like 3

yes, i would run the 13/40 or 14/43 combo with a stock size tire...  for me the 3 teeth was just tits...  i could get to 85mph and it was acceptable on the low end also...  i am probably gonna get a 44t rear if i keep the 5.10 on...  this way i can run 14/44 on the 108 link chain...  the 6 tooth jump was a little too much for commuting...  but i love the low end now...  its all a trade off...  but to answer your question, i feel a 43 or a 42 rear sprocket is a must with a stock sized tire...  

the sprocket and chain i got from sprocket center...  i believe it was around $120 shipped to my door for the rear 43t and the 108 link DID chain...  

Cool.....how did you know I only had 3 teeth and I liked tits.... :lame:

• Like 2

because my brothers wife is from Indiana... ;)  lol   she is from Indiana, but i was just kidding...    hahaha sorry man, i didn't have any better of a come back...  

• Like 2

because my brothers wife is from Indiana... ;)  lol   she is from Indiana, but i was just kidding...    hahaha sorry man, i didn't have any better of a come back...  

Don't be sorry, I remember her well, this now explains why you were always seemingly familiar to me all this time.... ;)

Don't be sorry, I remember her well, this now explains why you were always seemingly familiar to me all this time.... ;)

i got nothing..... lmfao...  hahahahahaha 

• Like 1

First time on a forum . On my crf250l I just changed to a 13tooth and its much better. Can pull it up in second now . I use the bike more offroad then on and was considering putting a larger rear sprocket on as well. I gained quite a bit of top speed witht he 13t front that i really dont need. Right now im just runing a fmf pipe with mega bomb header and egk controller or whatever. Any one on here using a 13 t and a 42 with these mods?

What type of riding are you guys doing and what sprocket combo are you using eg stock, 13/40, 13/42, etc

Also please post links where you are purchasing your gear from?

mostley riding single track and gravel pits . Im using the 13/40 now . I buy everything from http://www.razeemotorcycle.comtheir in rhode isand and always take good care of me.

• Like 3

First time on a forum . On my crf250l I just changed to a 13tooth and its much better. Can pull it up in second now . I use the bike more offroad then on and was considering putting a larger rear sprocket on as well. I gained quite a bit of top speed witht he 13t front that i really dont need. Right now im just runing a fmf pipe with mega bomb header and egk controller or whatever. Any one on here using a 13 t and a 42 with these mods?

I am running the stock pipe with an ejk and an opened up airbox.  13/42 is a good combo for me.   I ride on the road a decent amount and don't want to go any more than that.   I did the 13t first and it wasn't enough.   Adding the 42 makes it work better in the woods for the riding I do.

I am running the stock pipe with an ejk and an opened up airbox.  13/42 is a good combo for me.   I ride on the road a decent amount and don't want to go any more than that.   I did the 13t first and it wasn't enough.   Adding the 42 makes it work better in the woods for the riding 

Thanks im mainly in the woods so the 13/42 should work well for me . 

I flipped the chain guide block...  easy peasy...

The CRF150F comes with a 47 on the rear and the lower chain guide will bolt right on the the CRF250L ....  :thumbsup:  The swing arms are different so this does not lower it much as you would think and I believe it to be a perfect fit for adding a 43 to 45 rear sprocket. 

I have test fitted this to my bike that has a 44 on it.  My boy has a  2014 CRF150F ....  :prof:

I also think it is much stronger and has better functionality than stock ... it even looks better too ....  :ride:

Part# 52146-KPS-900

$28.47

0_0.png1_0.png

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 3

The CRF150F comes with a 47 on the rear and the lower chain guide will bolt right on the the CRF250L ....  :thumbsup:  The swing arms are different so this does not lower it much as you would think and I believe it to be a perfect fit for adding a 43 to 45 rear sprocket. 

I have test fitted this to my bike that has a 44 on it.  My boy has a  2014 CRF150F ....  :prof:

I also think it is much stronger and has better functionality than stock ... it even looks better too ....  :ride:

Part# 52146-KPS-900

$28.47

0_0.png1_0.png

that sounds like my best option . Thanks for the help il beordering it today . Time to go up to get parts anyways I have a aluminum throtle tube to get instead of my cracked stock one. Let you guys know how it goes !

• Like 1

I ran 13/42's with those mods and it really is a good combo for general use ... around town and trails ... I currently am running 13/44's and like it much better and also have the 305 kit and I want to run a 13/48 I think .... wheelies are fun and I love the power of it all ...  :ride:

I currently have a 14/40 stock configuration. My main goal is top speed. I live on a highway and speed limit is 75. Most are driving 78-80. I have air box mod, fmf, and EJK. I ride 80% street 20% road. I weigh about 185. I took bike out today in a headwind 70 was max it would pull. It was wound up in 5th and six would barely hold 70 wide open throttle. I considered the 14/42 with stock chain. I am now thinking that might not be enough. Maybe just the 13/40 would be right. My goal is 78-80 in headwind. Most are looking for best of both dirt and street. I am more concerned with top speed. Any suggestions? Brand of sprocket?