Pay It Forward! Read more... ×

Gearing/Sprocket Selection or Questions - What are you using or intend to use? Chains too.

Just get a 13, simple change and that should do it.

• Like 2

13/40 and 14/42 are SO close to each other that it's almost impossible to detect any difference. Even a slight wind speed difference will vary the results a lot so forget "comparing". Just get the 13 man, easy change, works good.

Use gearingcommander.com for exact figures.

And BALANCE your wheels. Lacking that is the most common cause for "uneasy" driving.

Edited by Hege
  • Like 2

with 13/40 i can hold 80 all day with the stock sized tires...  top speed of 85mph...  i now have 13/43 with a 5.10 rear tire on...  i just hit 80mph but i have pull all the way through... BUT, head winds make a hug difference...  hand guards/windshields/etc... also affect top speed also...  but the highest i have hit with a worn rear tire was 88mph on the gps...  

I currently have a 14/40 stock configuration. My main goal is top speed. I live on a highway and speed limit is 75. Most are driving 78-80. I have air box mod, fmf, and EJK. I ride 80% street 20% road. I weigh about 185. I took bike out today in a headwind 70 was max it would pull. It was wound up in 5th and six would barely hold 70 wide open throttle. I considered the 14/42 with stock chain. I am now thinking that might not be enough. Maybe just the 13/40 would be right. My goal is 78-80 in headwind. Most are looking for best of both dirt and street. I am more concerned with top speed. Any suggestions? Brand of sprocket?

Edited by eyeopenher
  • Like 1

Got my sprocket in and made the change today. Definitely makes 6th gear useful. I ran it to 70 mph pretty much in any condition. It does 75 if I'm tucked down. The engine is in higher Rpm but nothing I'm concerned about. Before the change 70 mph was only in perfect flat no wind conditions. Ejk is set at 2.5, 2.5, 3.5. I am definitely seeing less fuel usage. I will probably go 14/42 for the future. But am going to run this configuration for now. I reset the DRD and went with 7.1% and it was dead on compared to gps. Thanks all for the advice..

Changing from 13/40 to 14/42 only drops 200-250 rpms at top speed (or gives 1-2 mph more for the same - assuming it can overcome the taller gearing). What it also does is make your wheelbase half inch shorter (unless you get longer chain) which theoretically worsens highway stability.

You should quite easily do 80 mph if it's calm.

Here I'm doing max 144kmh gauge = 139kmh gps = 86mph gps, no tucking. 75 mph easily all day.

(I'm using 13/39 with 130/80/17 which actually calculates pretty much 14/42 for stock CRF250L)

But yeah with headwind affects things dramatically, it was struggle to keep 75mph, but no tucking needed..

You could try richening a bit, I was using default 3/3/6.. with lots of box holes and make sure air filter screen is removed.

Edited by Hege
  • Like 1

I have the stock 14 up front and a 50 out back. It will run 70 MPH easy in any headwind but it's turning about 8500 RPM. It will do 80 MPH whenever I want. I mostly run 55 MPH on the back roads though so it's just nice.

• Like 1

I have the stock 14 up front and a 50 out back. It will run 70 MPH easy in any headwind but it's turning about 8500 RPM. It will do 80 MPH whenever I want. I mostly run 55 MPH on the back roads though so it's just nice.

What did you do about the lower chain guide ?

Is there any cool aftermarket chain guide that will fit/work with a 44 tooth gear.......gnath9, did I read somewhere that the stock 150f will work.... :confused:

Yes the 150F fits perfectly as I installed it on mine for a test fit ... I still need to order one tho.

I have not found any cool looking aftermarket ones other than the one on XR'sOnly for the XR650 that I'm bit sure if it fits or not ... Looks like it would.

Edited by gnath9

What did you do about the lower chain guide ?

Set it on the shelf for a few months and then threw it away. What is the purpose of the chain guide?

I had to ditch the the upper chain cover too.

Set it on the shelf for a few months and then threw it away. What is the purpose of the chain guide?

I had to ditch the the upper chain cover too.

The lower is a guide to help keep the chain on the sprocket ... I would want to keep one there. The upper guard can be eliminated

• Like 1

The lower is a guide to help keep the chain on the sprocket ... I would want to keep one there. The upper guard can be eliminated

I wouldn't mind having one but I haven't had any problem on this bike or my two previous bikes either so I'm not worried.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind having one but I haven't had any problem on this bike or my two previous bikes either so I'm not worried.

to me this is the equivalent of an open primary on a chopper.... :ride:   hahaha    i think it personal choice....  be it crazy or not...   :goofy: cause you crazy!!!   that's like a chain saw blade back there... i don't know either way whats right or wrong.... so dont take my words as anything...   :prof:

• Like 2

i'll be going back to 14/40 as i do commute a lot more recently and therefore i wanna lower the continuous rpms a bit. for 80/20 offroad i think 13/42 or even higher is a good choice and for a 50/50 mix 13/40 does it for me. on longer trips i'll throw in the 13t in my bag as it is a quick change, if i need it :)

I run 13/40 with a 110/80 rear tire. I commute 64 miles round trip to work on the interstate. And yes my rpm's are a bit high, but not really buzzy or anything. The bike does great. And I expect it will do many more miles at this rpm trouble free.

Hello to all

I recently installed the front 13t sprocket and it's really transforms the bike as all say, unfortunately i'm having some issues with the swing arm chain slider. it's seems that it's wearing out very quickly. so my dilemma is i don't know if i left the chain too loose or if it's normal, can someone please enlighten me?

i adjusted again the chain slack but i not 100% sure that i did it right, the manual says 35mm but if i push the chain up it touches the bottom part of the swing arm and i don't know where these 35mm are taken from. can someone help please? maybe with some photo's

Daniel