Gearing/Sprocket Selection or Questions - What are you using or intend to use? Chains too.

There is a pic on the oem chain guard. I go with a little over 1" slack with very little pressure applied. The 13T does wear components quicker due to the smaller diameter. Hope this helps.

I have hade the 283 big bore kit installed for about 3 weeks. I have put about 400 miles on bike. The power is so much better. I did revert from 13/40 to 14/42 and now with kit I am back at 14/40 and it is great. Hit 83mph on highway today with ease. If you plan on installing a big bore do that first then change gearing to suit your needs. I will say if I had a new bike the very first upgrade would be big bore and fuel controller.

The front sprocket that I am taking off the bike has rubber on both sides. However the 13t I purchased does not. Is this a problem?

• Like 1

The front sprocket that I am taking off the bike has rubber on both sides. However the 13t I purchased does not. Is this a problem?

No it is not and a lot of people cut the rubber of a factory sprocket as they feel it causes premature chain wear. The factory does it to reduce chain noise.
  • Like 3

i run 14t front and 38T rear. with a much larger 120/100-18 or 130/90-18. this all together drops my rpm by 8-900rpm which makes it alot nicer on the highway. bike top speed is 145km/hr

mind you i can get away with running such a tall gearing/ tall tire becuase ive got a 305 BB, and good wind protection

DSC_0105_zps60f42482.jpg

plase check my build thread out for detials:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1037914

https://www.crf250l.org/forums/threads/dakar-crf250l-evo-1-305cc-big-bore.100810/

Edited by michael.kozera
  • Like 2

Hello guys!

As many people from this forum, I decided to use 13/42 combination of sprockets.

But, before ordering new sprockets, have a question - do I need to change the chain (with more/less links). Thanks!

Hello guys!

As many people from this forum, I decided to use 13/42 combination of sprockets.

But, before ordering new sprockets, have a question - do I need to change the chain (with more/less links). Thanks!

no.  13/42 works with the stock chain and the adjustment ends up being pretty much where the stock gearing is.

• Like 1

i run 14t front and 38T rear. with a much larger 120/100-18 or 130/90-18. this all together drops my rpm by 8-900rpm which makes it alot nicer on the highway. bike top speed is 145km/hr

mind you i can get away with running such a tall gearing/ tall tire becuase ive got a 305 BB, and good wind protection

DSC_0105_zps60f42482.jpg

plase check my build thread out for detials:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1037914

https://www.crf250l.org/forums/threads/dakar-crf250l-evo-1-305cc-big-bore.100810/

Are you in Calgary? I saw the Alberta plates in the thread that you posted. Sweet bike. It's awesome that you did all the work yourself.

Are you in Calgary? I saw the Alberta plates in the thread that you posted. Sweet bike. It's awesome that you did all the work yourself.

i am in calgary, yes, ive been riding here last few months, as long as its -3C or warmer, im out with it!

Edited by michael.kozera
  • Like 2

Just curious, the guys running supermoto set ups, what gearing are you guys using? My bike will still see a lot of dirt, so not entirely sure if it's worth it, but I've been thinking about getting a 2nd set of tires for the twisties near my house. My current gearing is 13/42 and I love that combo. It's a decent combination for dirt and street riding. If I run supermoto, I want to make the swap as easy as possible, so I'm hoping a lot of you say you're running 14/40 with SM setups. 14/40 and 13/42 keep the change is almost same spot, so that'd make swapping the rims/tires a lot easier. If I have to adjust the chain everytime, I'd be a lot less inclined to do it lol.

• Like 2

I have been entertaining this idea as well. And you know I like the idea of a pair of 3 1/2 X 18 inch rims fitted with a dirt track type tire. But a pair of sticky street tires might be better for you. I also would decide on a gearing for both worlds to enable a quick and simple swap as we all know if it takes more than 15 minutes we are less likely to make frequent swaps. But I guess chain swaps are quick too with matter links .... :unsure:

• Like 2

i use 13/40 on my crf250M (supermoto)  with 140-70-17 rear tyre. Perfect combo for me  ;)

• Like 3

I'm on the stock wheels on the L model will 14/42 even be beneficial I ride street mainly I have ejk.q4.powerbomb.and air box mods just looking for a little more grunt

I'm on the stock wheels on the L model will 14/42 even be beneficial I ride street mainly I have ejk.q4.powerbomb.and air box mods just looking for a little more grunt

i have over 14,000 miles on the road and i can say YES!!!! i run 14/43 or 13/40. either one has worked amazing for me...  with a stock sized tire you will hit 83mph. cruise at 70-75...  60mph, the bike feels like it owns the road...  your mileage wont change...  you should still get what you are getting if now or a few cents less at the pump...  the motor needs it.... just my .02 though....

• Like 3

I installed some new goodies on my "L" today.  I have tried several sprocket setups including the stock 14/40, then 13/40, 13/42, 14/42 and now what I hope is the optimum setup for me, 14/44 with the option open to put the 13 back on for a little more grunt if ever needed.

I went with a Renthal 44T aluminum rear sprocket and a new 108 link RK GB520MXU UW-Ring Gold Chain.  Definitely a sweet looking chain with all the side plates being gold, not just the outer plates.  It was a perfect fit with the 14/44 sprockets and D606 tire and leaves plenty of adjustment for the 13 tooth if I feel I ever need it as the chain adjuster is now setting in the middle of it's adjustment range just like the stock 14/40's with a 106 link chain.  I have the Zeta billet chain guide brace and it allows for the forward movement of the lower chain guide and tilts it down a touch from the rear sprocket.  I still had to remove the lower black rubber wear strip in it to shape the leading edge of it a bit with an angle grinder and a sanding flap disc so it would fit the new angle of the chain with the bigger sprocket.  It was then a perfect fit also after the minor modification.  I also have the Zeta billet heel guard in place of the factory plastic chain guard. 

A couple tools that made life a lot easier for this were a Motion Pro Chain Breaker to remove the stock chain and a Motion Pro Mini Chain Press Tool to press the master link on the new RK chain.

All that was left to do was to reset the Speedo DRD and sit back and admire my work as it's too darn cold to go for a ride now.

• Like 2

Hello to all

After testing my front 13 front sprocket and having very good results I'm tempted now to try the 42 rear sprocket. one thing that is bothering me is that i cannot find a rear 42 teeth sprocket that is steel instead of aluminum. I worried that an aluminum one will wear out far more easily and eventually will not last at all. i found the renthal one's on E-bay at reasonable  postage costs to my country.

so is true that aluminum ones don't last at all or is just a myth into my mind?

any thoughts?

Daniel

I think the Renthal will last plenty long enough especially on this low horse power bike. When the time does come ... they should be replaced in sets anyways.

thanks for the reply gnath, btw do you have experience with renthal sprockets? do i need different bolt and nuts for installation or stock ones will do?