wow some people amaze me

The bottom line is that many many people are of very low IQ. They do not have the capacity to think and learn so they will continue doing dumb things all their life. I am sure you know some. Just the way it is.

True enough. Then there are folks who have no experience, no role models and no money. I was one of those kids. We lived a sort of hippie lifestyle. One towel in the bathroom for 6 people. Ran out of TP every couple days. When I had a bad wreck, instead of taking me to the doctor, my brother hitched a ride to the city, told the doc he hurt his back, and brought me back some Darvon. I rode my bike with no clutch and vice grips holding on the handlebars.

I'm much better now. ?

This post is in reply to those who reprimand the buyer who did not disassemble someone else's bike before purchase. Do you want someone you dont know orchestrating a teardown of your ride, because they MIGHT buy it? Sometimes, you gotta do your best upon visual inspection only.

• Like 2

A clean filter doesn't nescessarily mean the bike was looked after, on the other hand, if a seller hasn't cleaned the filter and is trying to sell the bike - well that just speaks volumes to me. No way, no how would I buy a used bike without at least looking at the airfilter. It's not like you're tearing into the engine. Just my$.02 Canadian (which rounds down to $.00) ?

Edited by naturaledge
  • Like 2

This post is in reply to those who reprimand the buyer who did not disassemble someone else's bike before purchase. Do you want someone you dont know orchestrating a teardown of your ride, because they MIGHT buy it? Sometimes, you gotta do your best upon visual inspection only.

You really think inspecting the air filter is a tear down?  Come on now.

I made it policy a couple years ago to always check out the air filter.  I don't usually go as far as removing it to see if the bike has eaten any dirt but I do check the filter is at least somewhat clean and properly sealed to the airbox.

I've had two bad experiences now...one was a bike where it had the oem air filter installed correctly but likely never touched.  The dirt was caked on so thick it is amazing the bike ran.  I also bought an XR400R with a filter that was clean but it wasn't installed properly. 

I made it policy a couple years ago to always check out the air filter.  I don't usually go as far as removing it to see if the bike has eaten any dirt but I do check the filter is at least somewhat clean and properly sealed to the airbox.

I've had two bad experiences now...one was a bike where it had the oem air filter installed correctly but likely never touched.  The dirt was caked on so thick it is amazing the bike ran.  I also bought an XR400R with a filter that was clean but it wasn't installed properly. 

on these small hondas you have to disconnect the lines and unbold the air box.. once you have the air box off the bike then you have to remove the screws from the air box to take it apart. I understand what your saying but it also isnt as easy as just lifting the seat.

so over the last few mths I have been buying my kids dirt bikes for Christmas presents. well today I got new filters and oil for them to get them ready for Christmas day. I Pulled the air box for the crf70 to find what appears to be some sort of square fiber material that obviously wasn't covering the whole filter area. What were they thinking? What is wrong with people?

Go to ts, read thread chemtrails it explains a lot of what is wrong with people.

Lmbo

A clean filter doesn't nescessarily mean the bike was looked after, on the other hand, if a seller hasn't cleaned the filter and is trying to sell the bike - well that just speaks volumes to me. No way, no how would I buy a used bike without at least looking at the airfilter. It's not like you're tearing into the engine. Just my$.02 Canadian (which rounds down to $.00) ?

That advice could save some one hundreds of USD (or pounds, AUD, or whatever they use)

i looked at one bike that had an air filter from a lawn mower cut in half and jammed into air box....

the redneck was like what?

although this last one i swear was stolen....2004 ttr that sparkled...when i replaced stock jets they were pristine.

If you open the airbox, might as well pull the plug. While plugs out might as well do a compression check. Where does it end? With the buyer talking me down on $ for worn screws? If you cant tell the condition of a bike without disassembling it, you are in over your head. I could beat the crap out of a bike for 2yrs and service the oil and filter before I put it up for sale and you would think it's well maintained? Edited by ickfinger

If you open the airbox, might as well pull the plug. While plugs out might as well do a compression check. Where does it end? With the buyer talking me down on $ for worn screws? If you cant tell the condition of a bike without disassembling it, you are in over your head. I could beat the crap out of a bike for 2yrs and service the oil and filter before I put it up for sale and you would think it's well maintained?

I hear what you are saying, but as a seller I offer to pull the seat and show them how to maintain the filter.  Usually they say no just based on the condition of the bike and their experience.  I also keep my receipts for major parts and bearings so they know they are getting what they pay for.  Pictures of the rebuild help, too.  I suppose a seller could take a crap bike and throw a clean properly oiled filter in, to your point, but odds are if he is smart enough to know it matters, he would have done it anyway.  To your other point, nobody wants to be nickel and dimed at sale time.  It helps to be right up front that negotiation won't be happening, so it's a wasted trip if they don't bring enough cash.  It's worth the half hour to explain things anyway, so they don't blow the thing up in a month and blame me for it.