Sign in to follow this  

ktm 300 xc vs 450

Im looking to buy a new bike in the near future. Ive been really looking at the 300's , theyre just bitchin bikes. Im coming off a yz450 wich is a beast but in the desert it taps out to quickly and in the woods its too much clutch work when it gets technical and seems to be hard to control and gives massive arm pump. I wanted to know if anyone knows how the 300 keeps up for high speed desert runs. Can it keep up with say a crf450x wich is another consideration for me. I know both 300 and 450x would fair in the woods. Im talking about the xc model n not the xcw.....any opinions appreciated

2011 or higher. Basically I wanna know how the 300xc keeps up with the 450s in higher speed desert riding.

2011 or higher. Basically I wanna know how the 300xc keeps up with the 450s in higher speed desert riding.

I like the 300's more then the 450's. I've had a few of both , but never the six speed. I built a 08 250sx/300 with a pro circuit motor , sxs forks, and a xcw trans for my 16 year old. It's a much better all around bike then my 450 and will pull it no problem in any gear, and is much faster top end. I just traded my 08 yz450 to my other son for his yz250. I'm going to sell the yz and build another 300. I want the close chamber forks and the wide ratio. After all that rambling the right 300 will stay with a 450 without a problem. The light weight of the 300 is a big plus for me.

thanks for the info that's all I wanted to know...I figured a six speed would have a faster top seed anyway

gearing....

300...save the weight.

I ride a 450 now and it is a pigbus. Granted mostly what I ride is tight single track. That 300 will keep up just fine with a 450 if it is geared properly. Your body will thank you for the lighter bike.

If the 300 came in a street legal package, I'd own one.

monk.... depends on what 450....yz I really don't think so, but maybe....crf450x or 450 xcw for sure....I grew up on 4 stroke thumpers and they just feel right to me....If anybody else but overpriced ktm made a 300 it would be my choice....I don't want gas gas either

Im looking to buy a new bike in the near future. Ive been really looking at the 300's , theyre just bitchin bikes. Im coming off a yz450 wich is a beast but in the desert it taps out to quickly and in the woods its too much clutch work when it gets technical and seems to be hard to control and gives massive arm pump. I wanted to know if anyone knows how the 300 keeps up for high speed desert runs. Can it keep up with say a crf450x wich is another consideration for me. I know both 300 and 450x would fair in the woods. Im talking about the xc model n not the xcw.....any opinions appreciated

I'm a big fan of the 300 2strks but with both bikes with stock gearing the 450x will walk away from the 300 on the top end. Probably looking at about a 10 mph gain from the 450x. Obviously any bike can be geared to run higher top speeds but its always a sacrifice for low end especially with the track models. Are you wanting consistent top end speed (fire roads/pavement) or just higher top end in spurts? My Yz450 with stock gearing topped out at 81 mph on a flat road (per my gps) but could only hold a cruising speed of about 50-55 down roads. As a comparison my current Wr450 easily does

65mph down the road at a cruising speed and though I've had it up over 85, I haven't topped it out yet to know. Hope this helps.